SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Football

SiouxMD

Per the WDAZ sports last night, Lennon has named Mannausau and Kelling co-defensive coordinators.

That's kind of weird isn't it? That sort of shows a little bit of indecisiveness on Lennon's part, IMHO.

They also said that Manke is #1 going into practice. (-----AND THE CROWD GOES WILD!!!!!!)

That's kind of weird isn't it? That sort of shows a little bit of indecisiveness on Lennon's part, IMHO.

They also said that Manke is #1 going into practice. (-----AND THE CROWD GOES WILD!!!!!!)

What this does is give both of these highly qualified individuals a chance to compete for the position this spring. They both will get a shot to prove themselves as the DC and it's better to do something like this during spring ball as opposed to fall camp. Expect one of the two to be named defensive coordinator after spring ball is over.

I too heard that ZBJ will be returning. I believe I saw him around the banquet weekend at the Holiday Inn. I believe someone told me he needed to take care of some grades and some personal things.....I do hope he returns...Zekes that have had good early careers end up having superb senior seasons...for example...Schmidt, Hermes, and Dahlen......

i dont know about you guys, but if manke does end up being the #1 guy going into next season, im very excited to see how he does. Im a big fan of the guy and think he can have a breakout season with his throwing strength and ability.

He doesnt run all that bad either.....

what do you guys think?

I definately feel Manke will be the guy that gets us over the hump. SOme players have game speed, which I feel he has, and his insticts and poise should make him the perfect field general that we need. Not to mention I would rather have him go for the gritty yards on 4th and 1 as oppose to Belmore....

I have been on the Manke bandwagon since day one. Too bad it took this long for him to get the chance. I think Lennon should have given him more time his sophmore season when Belmore was hurt. At least we know we have 2 good quarterbacks going into the season.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an article on the development of Ryan Chappell. link. UND should have outstanding running back depth this year, and Chappell's speed should be a big asset on special teams, as well.

The article also mentions Branden Dungy (nephew of Tony). I assume he must be a walk-on?

Anyone know what time the spring game starts. I remember tailgaiting at memorial last year for the game. Seemed like Dale really wanted to have that game outside last year. Why the change?

The game is at the Alerus this year because Relay for Life will be using Memorial Stadium from 7:00 PM tonight until 7:00 AM tomorrow morning and they didn't think that they would be done cleaning up all their stuff...

The game is at the Alerus this year because Relay for Life will be using Memorial Stadium from 7:00 PM tonight until 7:00 AM tomorrow morning and they didn't think that they would be done cleaning up all their stuff...

Thanks for posting that. I was wondering why the Alerus on a beautiful spring day. Hell, even if it's crappy it's the one game a year that is still outdoors.

heard some good things about the spring game, especially about the offense.

on a very nice note, brian hellevang kicked a 51 yarder, which is always a plus.

manke was leading the 1st team offense and had a good day, leading the team to a td.

belmore also did a good job with the 2nd team. they got the 51 yard fg.

I thought Manke looked very good today. Despite Lennon's comments in the Herald today to the effect that no offensive player has locked up a starting position (not even Dressler? :silly: ), I have to think Manke is the guy at quarterback based on his play late last season and in the scrimmage today.

I was disappointed that we didn't get to see Chappell, but he looked to have a limp when walking on the sidelines so presumably he was kept out for precautionary reasons. Also, I noticed that Oksendahl is no longer on the roster, nor is Schaley.

Overall, I think the Sioux should be very good next year, particularly with the addition of SDSU transfer Murray to further bolster the o-line, getting Strouth back healthy, and hopefully getting ZBJ back.

I thought Manke looked very good today. Despite Lennon's comments in the Herald today to the effect that no offensive player has locked up a starting position (not even Dressler? :silly: ), I have to think Manke is the guy at quarterback based on his play late last season and in the scrimmage today.

I was disappointed that we didn't get to see Chappell, but he looked to have a limp when walking on the sidelines so presumably he was kept out for precautionary reasons. Also, I noticed that Oksendahl is no longer on the roster, nor is Schaley.

Overall, I think the Sioux should be very good next year, particularly with the addition of SDSU transfer Murray to further bolster the o-line, getting Strouth back healthy, and hopefully getting ZBJ back.

Oksendahl transferred to Mayville St. if i'm not mistaken.

I was told that Oksendahl was visiting Valley City today. He was asked to switch to fullback, but I think he wants to end his football career playing the position he's played his whole life and didn't look like he was gonna get a chance here.