SiouxSports.com Forum

Can UND dominate in I-AA FB?

johnnyroyale

I want to know the thoughts of the SiouxNation whether or not UND can dominate I-AA football and how long it will take before a NC comes to Grand Forks. Let the discussion begin.

It seems a bit presumptuous to talk about the Sioux "dominating" DIAA considering they've won one football national championship in over 100 years.

It seems a bit presumptuous to talk about the Sioux "dominating" DIAA considering they've won one football national championship in over 100 years.

No Sioux fans are "talking about" it, the bait was put out and not a single Sioux fan has taken it yet (I'm so proud :blink:). The Sioux have only recently been near the top of D-II and would obviously be less near the top in I-AA (how much less is a frequent topic of discussion). No talk of "dominating" in either division here.

No Sioux fans are "talking about" it, the bait was put out and not a single Sioux fan has taken it yet (I'm so proud :blink:). The Sioux have only recently been near the top of D-II and would obviously be less near the top in I-AA (how much less is a frequent topic of discussion). No talk of "dominating" in either division here.

NOT EVEN ME :lol: (obviously things have dried up a little at "boringville.com" :lol: -- too bad :lol: )

Count me among those who are overwhelmed by your amazing show of self-restraint. :lol:

I like to think...umm..(choke-sniff) I've grown a little...as a poster AND a compassionate human being...(AND its easier for me now to reach the refill nozzle for the LP tank on my flamethrower! :lol: - it's good all around!)

If they were to make the move I think they would be somewhat competitive immediately, somewhat competitive as in crack the top 20/top 25. After 5 to 10 years I think they would become established enough to contend for national championships and become a perennial top 10 team on a yearly basis. Essentially, within a reasonable amount of time they could do the same thing they've been doing at the D2 level for the better part of the last 15 years.

Dave! Don't buy into this thread now!! :blink: Did you read ALL the previous posts? (TROLLER ALERT!)

I think UND could be competitive in I-AA but if they think he Great West is a pushover they are mistaken. I truly believe, right now, that Poly, Davis, SDSU, UNC and NDSU would beat UND in football right now. Some of them thoroughly. I think UND could probably beat Southern Utah consistently but would most lilely consider the first couple years a success if they went above .500 throughout the league overall.

I think UND could be competitive in I-AA but if they think he Great West is a pushover they are mistaken. I truly believe, right now, that Poly, Davis, SDSU, UNC and NDSU would beat UND in football right now. Some of them thoroughly. I think UND could probably beat Southern Utah consistently but would most lilely consider the first couple years a success if they went above .500 throughout the league overall.

(yawns)

(rolls over)

(looks at clock)

(pounds pillow)

(falls back asleep)

I truly believe, right now, that Poly, Davis, SDSU, UNC and NDSU would beat UND in football right now. Some of them thoroughly.

And it took you just under 20 hours to finally say what you intended to say by starting this thread :whistling:

SDSU hardly ever beat the Sioux when both schools were D2, how can SDSU suddenlty with the addition of only 5-10 more scholarships suddently become this force that will crush UND. UNC was actually a better program and football team at the Division 2 level. They're awful now. NDSU has a jump start but we'd quickly close the gap and things would be back to the status quo that they were a few years ago when we beat them 9 of the last 13 times. I don't know much about Cal Poly but I do remember the last time UND played Davis and the outcome wasn't too good for Davis on that one.

SDSU hardly ever beat the Sioux when both schools were D2, how can SDSU suddenlty with the addition of only 5-10 more scholarships suddently become this force that will crush UND. UNC was actually a better program and football team at the Division 2 level. They're awful now. NDSU has a jump start but we'd quickly close the gap and things would be back to the status quo that they were a few years ago when we beat them 9 of the last 13 times. I don't know much about Cal Poly but I do remember the last time UND played Davis and the outcome wasn't too good for Davis on that one.

Homer-Simpson--C10053426.jpeg

Exactly where I was going. For example, now that you all think I'm a bison homer, I will use them as an example...

SDSU is ramping up their schollies, albeit not quite as fast as NDSU is. However, SDSU has played some big name I-AA teams tough. Montana and Georgia Southern come to mind. I think that UND could beat SDSU if UND played a great game. The reality is that SDSU would most likely beat UND 7 of 10 times. Do not fall into the trap that SDSU or NDSU are the same division 2 teams that you are used to. Things have changed and I think that you may be unpleasantly surprised if you played either right now.

1) ndsu has 25 more schollies and they've been building depth for 3 yrs now. Like it or not, it makes a difference. For example, Digger Anderson is a fantastic LB. The Bison's Joe Mays (#8) would knock him silly. Mays has 20 lbs on Digger and has a .3 faster 40 time. There's a difference there. Plus, NDSU has 2 more guys just like Joe waiting in the wings.

2) ndsu has new coaches, a new (big-time committed AD), and a fully-sown philosophy that they are in fact going to the next level, no half-assing here

3) the playoff-ineligibility window is closing and next season they are eligible. They also have Georgia outhern nd Montana State coming to the FargoDome next season. Attendance is up 3-4k over last year alone. Right now, UND cannot touch that. Yes, UND won 10 of 13 but if they played tomorrow I think UND would find out that it's more than resting on your laurels. Bison are a better program right now. Period. If NDSU won't play then why not go out and schedule Montana or Eastern Washington or Georgia Southern or App State? That would quickly tell you how deep (or shallow) the I-AA waters are.....why are you waiting?

(snaps awake)

(pounds on wall)

(rolls over)

(looks at clock)

(scowls)

(pounds pillow)

(mumbles something that sounds like "cost" and "conference")

(pounds pillow again)

(falls back asleep)

Ditto. I could swear we have heard the same arguements over and over and over.

NDSU could beat UND right now....blah (Duh they have a scholarship advantage.)

For a school close to UND and for them not playing they sure do care about what UND does a lot of.

Oh yeah that is cause NDSU does not get to play their biggest rival anymore while the Sioux do (U of Minnesota Golden Gophers). :whistling:

1) ndsu has 25 more schollies and they've been building depth for 3 yrs now. Like it or not, it makes a difference. For example, Digger Anderson is a fantastic LB. The Bison's Joe Mays (#8) would knock him silly. Mays has 20 lbs on Digger and has a .3 faster 40 time. There's a difference there. Plus, NDSU has 2 more guys just like Joe waiting in the wings.

Joe Mays and the rest of the Bison middle linebackers should be fighting over who gets to carry Digger's jock. He's got a legitimate shot at the next level. Joe might get to watch him play on Sunday's next year.

Johnny Royale your are correct NDSU would have an advantage right now if the two schools were to play and they should they do have 25 more scholarships. The fact is a lot of the guys on UND's team this year were Division I-AA and a few Division I-A level players. If in ten years both schools are still in their respective divisions then we'll start to see some disparity. The other fact is that in the past with a level playing field between the two schools UND has taken it to the Bison. If UND moves up this year it won't matter who moved up first or second all that will matter is who's winning and don't be surprised if in 5 years we're the one who's consistently winning and beating you.

Exactly where I was going. For example, now that you all think I'm a bison homer, I will use them as an example...

SDSU is ramping up their schollies, albeit not quite as fast as NDSU is. However, SDSU has played some big name I-AA teams tough. Montana and Georgia Southern come to mind. I think that UND could beat SDSU if UND played a great game. The reality is that SDSU would most likely beat UND 7 of 10 times. Do not fall into the trap that SDSU or NDSU are the same division 2 teams that you are used to. Things have changed and I think that you may be unpleasantly surprised if you played either right now.

2) ndsu has new coaches, a new (big-time committed AD), and a fully-sown philosophy that they are in fact going to the next level, no half-assing here

3) the playoff-ineligibility window is closing and next season they are eligible. They also have Georgia outhern nd Montana State coming to the FargoDome next season. Attendance is up 3-4k over last year alone. Right now, UND cannot touch that. Yes, UND won 10 of 13 but if they played tomorrow I think UND would find out that it's more than resting on your laurels. Bison are a better program right now. Period. If NDSU won't play then why not go out and schedule Montana or Eastern Washington or Georgia Southern or App State? That would quickly tell you how deep (or shallow) the I-AA waters are.....why are you waiting?

why didnt you just title the thread "let me tell you all about ndsu and how they will dominate d1-aa"

Joe Mays and the rest of the Bison middle linebackers should be fighting over who gets to carry Digger's jock. He's got a legitimate shot at the next level. Joe might get to watch him play on Sunday's next year.

I have watched both Digger and Mays play and I have seen both dominate games. Digger has a legit NFL shot and Joe will have a legit shot in a few years as well. I don't know if I could call one better then the other or how anyone possibly could.