SiouxSports.com Forum

Frozen Tundra Game

farce poobah

Two great teams, both carrying some baggage.

I didn't realize how banged up tOSU is ... 3 guys out for the season, 3 more who are out for today. Hard to say they are the favorite.

OTOH, Wisconsin is 1-5 since pounding CC. Loved the USCHO article where Eaves talks about how the game sounds different outside. But I don't recall any -15 rule in Grand Forks ...

Excerpt:

Yet there's something about playing outdoors that brings the game back to its roots for Eaves, who started playing hockey outside in Saskatoon, Sask. There, kids were allowed to play until the temperature fell below minus-15.

"Playing outside has a uniqueness about it that is hard to relay to people that have never played outside," Eaves said. "The sound the skate makes when it cuts the ice, the sound that the puck makes on your stick when you catch a pass and you slap a pass, it's a very unique game of its own.

"It'll be fun. What it does, it takes you back to the last time you played as a child. That's what will be fun for a lot of the kids that have skated outside, to revisit that time in their life."

http://www.uscho.com/news/id,11880/MoreThanAGame.html

==========================

Interested in your thoughts on the game, and if anyone has memories of playing competitive hockey outdoors. Probly a lot of us have played on the outdoor rinks, with nearly all of that just for the pure fun of it. Did ya ever play a high school game outside, etc?

When I was in peewees which seems like before the Eisenhower Administration at this point :) we hosted an outdoor tournament of 4 other teams. I lived in Chaska at the time and it was us, Edina East & West, and I wanna say Armstrong? We played no check and it was just a fun fun experience. We didn't win a game but it was just a fun fun day and all our friends were there cheering us on. It really was a different game we had no glass it was just all puck movement and finding seams, I'd like to see more outdoor hockey, today's game should be fun to watch.

It is interesting how they set up the ice on the field. The rink looks like it is sitting out in the middle of nowhere. You would think that they would have tried to set it as close to the end of the field as possible and tried to get a few seats sitting right up around the ice to keep the fans as close to the game as possible and make the rink not look like it is sitting in the middle of a field.

It may be a gimmick, but if it can get a few more people to tune in and draw some attention to college hockey, I guess it can't be bad. I do not think that the NCAA tourney should be played in a similar fashion, though.

What is up with the alternating clear and blue tinted glass?

And all of that plywood looks kinda tacky.

The plywood looks terrible, with all the planning that went into this event, could they not have gotten some tarps or something to cover up that plywood, it is distracting.

I think the rink is positioned about as close as it can be to the one side of the field, without having the other side of the field need to take out their binoculars to see the action.

The plywood looks terrible, with all the planning that went into this event, could they not have gotten some tarps or something to cover up that plywood, it is distracting.

Looks like they checked the siouxsports forum and decided to do something about it. They have the majority of the ply wood covered with a tarp now.

As much as I'd love to see the badgers continue their losing ways, I think come tournament time it would be best for UND and the WCHA if Wisconsin wins this.

exactly, and i would think we want st cloud to lose again tonight and du to win, min and tech are tied at 1 right now after 1 period in tech. im sure it would be the best if the dirty rodents won as well..

We want DU to lose (as well as SCSU), they are both bubble teams the Sioux are competing against for a slot in the tourney.

Makes little difference for MN, they are in good position for a 1 seed in GF (or somewhere else, if the Sioux get in as a 4 seed).

We want DU to lose (as well as SCSU), they are one of the bubble teams the Sioux are competing against for a slot in the tourney.

Makes little difference for MN, they are in good position for a 1 seed in GF (or somewhere else, if the Sioux get in as a 4 seed).

i guess i was thinking the better du's rank is when we go to du to play them then the more it will help us when we beat them....

i guess i was thinking the better du's rank is when we go to du to play them then the more it will help us when we beat them....

They are the only remaining TUC for the Sioux before the post season begins, and, if either team gets swept in two weeks at Magness, they will likely be left out of the NCAA tourney.

Getting beat by non-TUCs is not good for either team, DU getting beat by Mankato would be similar to theSioux getting beat by UMD or MTU.

They are the only remaining TUC for the Sioux before the post season begins, and, if either team gets swept in two weeks at Magness, they will likely be left out of the NCAA tourney.

Getting beat by non-TUCs is not good for either team, DU getting beat by Mankato would be similar to theSioux getting beat by UMD or MTU.

gottcha loud and clear..thx

Cool game. Good outcome for UND/WCHA NCAA hopes. But whoever does the schedule for tOSU should be fired - I did not realize they had Michigan State Thursday, UW today, Miami Tuesday. All that conspires to help the Sioux, a smidgen, since we played all 3 opponents but not OSU...

Green Bay is natural hockey country, with not a lot going on in winter, and with the 40k turnout, I wouldn't be surprised if they do another one. Maybe Sioux-UW on Sunday with UW playing the Gophers on Friday-Saturday first... :):silly:

Cool game. Good outcome for UND/WCHA NCAA hopes. But whoever does the schedule for tOSU should be fired - I did not realize they had Michigan State Thursday, UW today, Miami Tuesday. All that conspires to help the Sioux, a smidgen, since we played all 3 opponents but not OSU...

Green Bay is natural hockey country, with not a lot going on in winter, and with the 40k turnout, I wouldn't be surprised if they do another one. Maybe Sioux-UW on Sunday with UW playing the Gophers on Friday-Saturday first... :):silly:

lets hope the sioux get consideration for that BU and BC vs 2 west teams playing at fenway park next year!! they should grab the sioux and the gophers to play those chowdaheads and we can go win another beanpot :D

My family and I minus the wife who is in Dallas went to the Frozen Tundra game and just got home. Tough to see alot. I thought the Buckeyes got hometeamed quite a bit, but they kept playing. They did get two 10 min misconducts, I think for exercising their first amendment rights with the officials. Good BADger crowd. I saw another Sioux Jersey. I also saw Robbie Earl skate an entire shift without falling down! That was a first for me. I think he only did it the one time though. We thought it odd that they were covering the plywood with sheets during the game, I guess the previous posts explain that. The ice seemed very choppy in the 2nd and 3rd and the intermissions were way too long.

Unless the Sioux are in it another time, I think I will pass and watch it on TV. The temps were not too bad until we got in the shady side. They could have started the game earlier. People were asking me who UND was playing this weekend and when I advised the Fighting Sioux were idle, I got a bunch of "that would have been a better game." I think this matchup had something to do with the Big Ten.

BEAT DULUTH!!!

I hope Mr. Buning is very proactive and starts looking at getting UND in the games at Fenway Park. I have seen UND mentioned on other forums as one of the schools being considered. The Frozen Tundra highlights are being shown on SportsCenter as I type this. It's not very often that ESPN acknowledges college hockey. And considering that 2 east coast schools would be involved ESPN would definately have coverage. It could be great national exposure for UND.

I hope Mr. Buning is very proactive and starts looking at getting UND in the games at Fenway Park. I have seen UND mentioned on other forums as one of the schools being considered. The Frozen Tundra highlights are being shown on SportsCenter as I type this. It's not very often that ESPN acknowledges college hockey. And considering that 2 east coast schools would be involved ESPN would definately have coverage. It could be great exposure for UND.

Nice but not likely.

If I were the planners there, I'd want two western teams that have name recognition but really aren't going to be a genuine threat to beat the home team.

My thoughts?

tOSU and Michigan State as the two "Western" teams.