SiouxSports.com Forum

UNH Suspensions

7NationalTitles

Not sure if this was posted elsewhere (I didn't see it) but here is the link:

http://www.uscho.com/news/id,11777/UNHSusp...ameAtMaine.html

UNH has suspended 7 players (all forwards) for this Friday night's game against Maine. The reason for the suspension hasn't been stated but there is speculation on USCHO that it was for drinking.

This suspension could have an effect on the Sioux's RPI and bonus points. If UNH were playing with a full team this weekend and could somehow sweep Maine, it would help their RPI get closer to the top 15. The Sioux need this in order to get the bonus points for the win and tie earlier in the year at New Hampshire. I was really hoping for a sweet by UNH and getting some momentum to get into the top 15 RPI by season's end.

On a side note, if it was for drinking or violating any other team rule, you have to give credit to the coach for suspending his players for a big game.

The person that comes to mind is Don Lucia-pet ;) and how when his players were caught drinking underage (violation of a team rule), no one was given any kind of suspension or no punishment was ever made public. Again, as noted, many players do it but not all of them are caught on tape doing it. Personally, it just goes to show the kind of class and resolve that is shown between the two coaches. Kind of like when Lucia-pet always seems to bring up that UND is the only hockey team that fights or is always one of the two teams involved in a fight.

Not sure if this was posted elsewhere (I didn't see it) but here is the link:

http://www.uscho.com/news/id,11777/UNHSusp...ameAtMaine.html

The person that comes to mind is Don Lucia-pet :blush: and how when his players were caught drinking underage (violation of a team rule), no one was given any kind of suspension or no punishment was ever made public.

Lucia punished the players involved, it just wasn't made public. I think he's against suspending a handful of players for a game because that punishes the entire team for the actions of a few. I think taking away scholarship money or something like that is much more effective when it comes to punishment. This way, only the players involved get punished. It makes sense to me. But trust me, the gopher players caught drinking were definitely punished. Coaches do things differently, but I don't think it shows a lack of class on Lucia's part, but I can see what it looks like from the outside when you see Gopher players not getting suspended for drinking.

Lucia punished the players involved, it just wasn't made public. I think he's against suspending a handful of players for a game because that punishes the entire team for the actions of a few. I think taking away scholarship money or something like that is much more effective when it comes to punishment. This way, only the players involved get punished. It makes sense to me. But trust me, the gopher players caught drinking were definitely punished. Coaches do things differently, but I don't think it shows a lack of class on Lucia's part, but I can see what it looks like from the outside when you see Gopher players not getting suspended for drinking.

Having a fan like buckysucks is definitely more punishment than any team deserves.

It's a shame with all the talent the Sioux have they have to rely on other teams to help them. I'll take the "no-class" Lucia over the "no-ability" Hakstol.

Well, TC does tend to be a prick on here, BUT his point is fair. Hak hasn't gotten the results he should have with the talent this year. Hak has already demonstrated that he is a good coach, and I wish him to be here a long time. But, how can you say that our offense is anything but broken. :lol:

Were you one of them?

Give me an effing break with this "talent wins games" CRAP. CLEARLY, it is experience that wins in the WCHA. No matter how stacked you think your team is, you need a good mix of experience. With 9 freshmen it's hard to expect more than they've done so far. I think Lucia is a GREAT coach, but has serious ARROGANCE issues. Hakstol's coaching abilities are there, but he's largely unproven, as he's only been a head coach for 1 1/2 years.

TC was just venting...I don't blame him/her, but it is in poor taste to provoke opposing fans at their own website...even if they did deserve it.

Give me an effing break with this "talent wins games" CRAP. CLEARLY, it is experience that wins in the WCHA. No matter how stacked you think your team is, you need a good mix of experience. With 9 freshmen it's hard to expect more than they've done so far. I think Lucia is a GREAT coach, but has serious ARROGANCE issues. Hakstol's coaching abilities are there, but he's largely unproven, as he's only been a head coach for 1 1/2 years.

TC was just venting...I don't blame him/her, but it is in poor taste to provoke opposing fans at their own website...even if they did deserve it.

No ability is 2nd or 3rd in the WCHA in scoring? No ability is goaltenders who, though they aren't tearing up the league, are at least consistent enough to give the team in front of them a decent idea what to expect from them and what is needed to win? No ability is to have 9 freshmen in the lineup on any given night and still be in the running for a playoff berth?

I think TC is more than venting. I think TC is just a classless fan. Lucia has his own methods and whether that is classy or not, it's subjective. But I don't think Lucia has ever openly flamed other teams over their season results even with certain comments that can be construed in negative ways. Lucia is a damn fine coach, regardless of who he coaches. He did well for every team he's coached. I think that comparing Lucia to Hakstol at this point (Lucia in his nth year as a Head Coach and Hakstol in his 2nd year) is rather harsh.

Lucia is classy compared to some of the fans of Lucia's team.