SiouxSports.com Forum

Bad Weekend but...

AZSIOUX

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While it's nice that some people are enjoying the sunshine emanating from their asses after this past weekend, we still have to travel to CC and Denver, and we will be lucky to get 4/8 points. Along the way into March, we also host UMD and Tech. Given our stellar record at home this season, we *may* break even in those series. Tough teams, good goalies, clean ice, white tape, solar flares, etc., don't make up for the fact our guys are not doing what they need to do to get even remotely close to Milwaukee.

That may be the biggest problem. The Sioux are very talented, but also very young. The Gophers under Woog used to recruit a lot of high school aged kids (blue chippers) that struggled against older teams. It's a real fine line. On the one hand, a program wants to get the top talent, regardless of age. Most of those blue chippers want to go to college without playing juniors, so they commit early (Jordy Christian is one of a long line). On the other hand, that young talent is going to have difficulty matching up against kids who have had a year or two in the USHL or the Canadian junior leagues. The answer may be that you need a mix. You need some older, veteran players who have more physical and mental maturity. The Sioux have very few. Prpich and Marvin and Porter are about it. Even some of the junior leaders are very young---Smaby and Stafford were only 20 to start the year. The other problem is that many of the blue chip players leave early. Lucia-pet has tried to balance that by also recruiting some older kids from the USHL. Grant Potulny was a good example. Even Ryan Potulny and Danny Irmen, although they are young, did spend 2 years in the USHL.

I don't think that the problem is coaching. It is more a function of inconsistency and leadership due to the youth of this team. It should, however, serve as a wake-up call when a not very talented St. Cloud team not only beats you, but sweeps you at home. I cannot ever recall St. Cloud sweeping in Grand Forks, and this is one of the least talented St. Cloud teams that I have ever seen. Give them credit--they work extremely hard, play patient defensive hockey, and have excellent goaltending. However, getting swept at home by St. Cloud is just inexcusable. The coaches may have to reevaluate recruiting to make sure that there are Adam Calder type players. Mark Fabian is in that mold, but he's one of the few.

This is an excellent point. Young teams in the WCHA have a hard time winning, no matter what the talent level. As a gopher fan, I watched years and years of teams loaded with talent that came up short. Now, both UND and Minnesota have some unworldly young talent and those guys can play at this level. But it helps to have elder leadership down the stretch. UND, Minnesota and Denver all had it in the recent title runs.

Losing to SCSU is no disgrace...they're a pretty good team who is playing "up" right now. If you guys can just get to your own regional, there isn't a team in the country who'll look forward to playing you there, no matter what your ranking or record. :huh:

Greetings & salutations Sioux fans...First time SiouxSports poster, but I bleed Minnesota maroon and gold. Just wanted give an outsiders perspective and let you know that I sincerely hope your squad recovers in time to get home ice, make it to the Final Five in St. Paul, and make the NCAAs. It would be really sh*&#y if the NoDak fans could not see the Sioux finally play on home ice for a regional, and personally I want to see them live in St. Paul (and GF if Minnesota is sent there for the NCAAs).

Even though I am a Golden Gopher fan, I enjoy watching North Dakota and the way they play - fast, high scoring, and aggressive. Much better game than what Bucky plays, and similar to Minnesota's but more physical. I also have had beers with outstanding Sioux fans while in St. Paul, Columbus, etc. and you support your team like few programs in the country.

Everybody know you guys have the talent to win your remaining regular season games. Haven't watched enough games to see what is missing, but know you've got some great players and while the jury may still be out, Hakstol appears to know what he's doing. Perhaps they'll peak at the right time like last year. Currently Minnesota is rolling, Clown College (SCSU) is rolling, and Denver is rolling. The Sioux can do the same, especially if JP returns to form in goal.

Good luck the rest of the way. Seriously. Hope you appreciate the great program and all the talent you get to watch. It could be much worse.

Nice sarcasm, but you're conveniently ignoring a few facts. SCSU tied Wisconsin and played them tough when the Badgers were flying high. They've defeated Minnesota and Denver. The Huskies also beat and tied Colgate, the team currently leading the ECAC.

I hate getting swept at home as much as anyone, but SCSU isn't a bad team.

Sorry PCM, I couldn't resist and yes, I did conveniently ignore a few facts. But my point wasn't that SCSU was a bad team, but rather that other average and high caliber teams have been able to score more than 1 goal against them. We certainly should have been able to as well (certainly in our own building) but "our effort was good enough". BG played great but early on he was giving up a lot of rebounds that we didn't take advantage of. My biggest problem is that in nearly every post game interview after a loss the coach speaks to a lack of effort which IMHO rests mostly on his shoulders. Saturday night Hackstol contributes the goal to a lucky bounce! 18 seconds into the OT of a must win game and its a lucky bounce? please... they never should have had that chance. Give them credit, they wanted it more.

What's worse, my wife graduated from SCSU! Try and live with that for a whole year....

What's worse, my wife graduated from SCSU! Try and live with that for a whole year....

I can understand that. My brother used to teach at Minnesota-Duluth and still considers himself a Bulldogs fan. That's why I hate it when the Sioux lose to UMD.

Speaking of lack of scoring, here are some stats to consider.

By the time UND plays CC, it will have been more than a month (8 games) since a Sioux defenseman scored a goal.

Since Dec. 16 (the first game against Bemidji), UND's defensive corps has 1 goal and 15 assists (16 points) in 12 games. In the 18 games before that, the Sioux D-men had 9 goals and 25 assists (34 points).

In other words, the Sioux defensive corps has gone from averaging nearly two points a game and a goal every other game to contributing a little over 1 point a game and one goal every 8 games. That's not what I would've expected.

Speaking of lack of scoring, here are some stats to consider.

By the time UND plays CC, it will have been more than a month (8 games) since a Sioux defenseman scored a goal.

Since Dec. 16 (the first game against Bemidji), UND's defensive corps has 1 goal and 15 assists (16 points) in 12 games. In the 18 games before that, the Sioux D-men had 9 goals and 25 assists (34 points).

In other words, the Sioux defensive corps has gone from averaging nearly two points a game and a goal every other game to contributing a little over 1 point a game and one goal every 8 games. That's not what I would've expected.

Too much talent there for this crap. Maybe they are young and tired. The WJC could have something to do with that. If you recall the young Gopher D went bad in the second half last year.

Too much talent there for this crap. Maybe they are young and tired. The WJC could have something to do with that. If you recall the young Gopher D went bad in the second half last year.

Don't know. Chorney and Lee were pretty solid last weekend and Toews and Oshie were the only two goal scorers.

I think siouxnami is talking about the D. Toews and Oshie are not D-men.

Ah. Well both Lee and Chorney need to work on their offensive game, that much is true. Lee takes FOREVER to get a shot off. His shot is so good, but the goaltender and D have plenty of time to adjust before he gets the shot off.

Chorney needs to back off of the power a little bit so he can get more control. All of his shots are really hard, but they go high or wide all the time.

Well is the sky falling or has it already fell,yes I have been critical of this coaching staff and there style since last year. Over on uscho there are a couple of posters saying were all naysayers and its not right to say anything negative.Well we all have different opinions and thats what makes message boards go round. I was one of the people calling for Hakstols head last year and maybe a little this year also but I do so because i want the Sioux to be the best team out there not middle of the pack just trying to get home ice.Most of all it's the style they play and lack of intensity from the players both this year and last. Last yeat everyone was saying just give Hakstol time and everything will be allright,well I say what has he done better than the last guy,just one thing.Getting swept three times this year was one of them and he keeps giving the same answer not ready to play etc. I expect a exciting brand of hockey not cycle the puck behind the net and kill time with no one out front or a power play that has gotten three 6-4 at the end of the game and can't cash in. If this team turns it around i will be the first to post a say I'am wrong and if other people think I'am way off base now i will wait for you replies. Flame away