SiouxSports.com Forum

Reason to go DI

redarmy

NDSU-62 Wisconsin-55

Look at all the publicity the Bison are getting. Doesn't happen at the DII level. Coach Miles was scheduled to be on Cold Pizza this morning. That has to be a great recruiting tool. I would hate to see the outcome if they played the Sioux.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And now, after pointing out McFeely may have gotten something right, I have to go take a shower.

Sorry, I am not going to admit McFeely getting something right.

Chaminade was the tournament host, one of the first games of the season

NDSU was playing on the road, mid-season.

Big difference between Virginia playing in Hawaii and Wisconsin playing in the Kohl Center. :lol:

Many people predicted the Bison to have less than 10 wins this year, now they are at 12 and counting.

Well done, Bison and congratulations on what is becoming a remarkable season of men's basketball for you. Coach Miles is an extraordinary coach, recruiter, and motivator and he has assembled what could be an outstanding team for years to come. I don't know exactly where NDSU's win over Wisconsin would rank in the annals of NCAA basketball but it certainly deserves to be on someone's Top 10 list of upsets.

I am a diehard Sioux fan, alumnus, and supporter (financially) and I am quickly coming to the conclusion that a move to Division I is not only inevititable but desireable. In the 1980's NDSU taught the NCC schools what needed to be done to compete for national championships, in the 1990's NDSU taught the NCC schools what needed to be done for women's basketball to compete for national championships, now they are teaching how to compete on the Division I stage. I secretly (and not so secretly) despise the Bison, but I do greatly admire the approach they have taken to their athletic programs dating back to Ade Sponberg. It is time to put all else aside and move UND to full Division I status - we have proved that we can follow the NDSU lead and in many cases, improve on it. There is no gain without risk.

In the 1980's NDSU taught the NCC schools what needed to be done to compete for national championships, in the 1990's NDSU taught the NCC schools what needed to be done for women's basketball to compete for national championships, now they are teaching how to compete on the Division I stage.

So UND's winning of real Division I national championships in 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997 and 2000 didn't teach anybody anything? The idea that NDSU always leads in athletics while UND follows is absurd.

I think that D1 NDSU v. D1 UND would be a heck of a rivalry game again. Bigger and better than D2 days. If we look 10 to 12 years on down the road I could see these games getting major media attention. That is good for North Dakota at a whole............

Couldn't agree more. The Montana/Montana St. "Brawl of the Wild" game is televised on CSTV, Altitude Sports, and other regional channels every year. I can see down the road the Sioux-Bison game (hopefully it happens again, sooner rather than later) being a I-AA feature game of the week on a CSTV or ESPNU. It has that kind of history.

PCM - I did not say that NDSU always leads and UND follows. What I did say that in the 1980's NDSU dedicated itself to winning championships in football, put together the resources to do it, and built a program that dominated DII for that era. In the 1990's the focus turned to women's basketball and they built the same kind of program. At the same time UND was winning hockey championships and had a men's basketball program that lost national tournament games to eventual national champions (all of whom are now Division I, by the way) something like 4 years in a row. What I was trying to say was that NDSU recognized and acted upon what needed to be done before and, in my opinion, is doing the same now in the Division I move. At this point we can either get going and lead, follow, or get out of the way.

PCM - I did not say that NDSU always leads and UND follows. What I did say that in the 1980's NDSU dedicated itself to winning championships in football, put together the resources to do it, and built a program that dominated DII for that era. In the 1990's the focus turned to women's basketball and they built the same kind of program.

I'm sure that Dale Lennon and Gene Roebuck would be happy to know that their success was based on NDSU's.

I'm sure that Dale Lennon and Gene Roebuck would be happy to know that their success was based on NDSU's.

Once again, that is not what I said. Dale Lennon's success is a result of Dale Lennon's talents and motivations; Gene Roebuck's success is result of Gene Roebuck's talents and motivations. My point is not that either is or was reliant on NDSU for their success, but that NDSU seemed to identify where it could win championships then put the people, resources, and methods in place to do it. Only later did UND and the rest of the NCC decide that they too should hire a strength and conditioning coordinator for example, that freshmen football players should be redshirted, that athletes should train all year instead of in season, and so on (there is suspicion that SU's footballers may have been given access to the pharmacy school also, but that is a different debate).

If I may use an analogy - In 1959 the Soviet Union launched the first ever satellite into orbit. That event woke a sleeping giant and the U.S. space program took off - end of contest. My point being that NDSU has been launching first in the athletic realm and it may be time for us (UND) to stir.

If I may use an analogy - In 1959 the Soviet Union launched the first ever satellite into orbit. That event woke a sleeping giant and the U.S. space program took off - end of contest. My point being that NDSU has been launching first in the athletic realm and it may be time for us (UND) to stir.

Great analogy. I'll use it, too. UND has already been to the DI moon and back seven times. NDSU hasn't been there once.

Time for a history lesson.

UND played its first full season of collegiate hockey in 1946-47. On January 9, 1948, the Sioux beat Michigan 6-5. That game is now considered the turning point of UND hockey. It helped legitimize UND's hockey program and made the college hockey world take notice of the Fighting Sioux. Eleven years later, UND won the first of its seven national championships, second only to Michigan's nine.

Now, it's possible that NDSU's defeat of Wisconsin last weekend is the beginning of the Bison ascendency to the elite ranks of Division I basketball. It's also possible that in 11 years, the event will serve as the basis of a sports bar trivia question.

doigiveadamn.gif

It's bouncey-ball. The people who support schools that have hockey teams, for the most part, don't care about bouncey-ball very much (if at all). I'm sure the people in Madison were more interested in the hockey series vs. Denver than the bouncey-ball game vs. NDSU.

I love UND hockey and football. D-2 or D-1AA... either way is fine with me. Our football program will be a success at either level. I simply could care less about the bouncey-ball team, D-2 or D-1.

According to the Wisconsin site, Kohl seats 17,142 for basketball, 14,000 for hockey.

According to the NCAA, Wisconsin averaged 17,142 per game in '04 for baseketball, 11,701 for hockey...you do the math...

No one is denying that UND has a great hockey program. This is a discussion talking about all of our other DII sports.

And you continue to miss the point.

It isn't about hockey.

It isn't about basketball.

It isn't about football.

It's about knowing how to run a successful program in a Division I sport. UND has been doing it for more than 50 years. The idea that UND needs NDSU to show it the way is patently absurd.

NDSU's win over Wisconsin may mean something. Or it might be a mere footnote in the history of college sports. As with UND's hockey win over Michigan in 1948, only time will tell.