SiouxSports.com Forum

Gopher Glory

MafiaMan

The first line of that article tells you how much you should be bothered by it: "In my hometown of Minneapolis/St. Paul..." lets not get in to if the U of M is better than UND again. I say this, 7 titles to 5 titles. Win two more, THEN we can start talking about who has the better program.

I am unaware of many teams that limit their pool of talent to locals.
Now, only a select few Dakotans and the occasional Wisconsinite are given temporary visas to cross the border and score goals for the greater good that is Gopher hockey.

I never knew Wooger was also a ghost-writer for SI. :D Has this idiot even looked at Minnie's roster? :D

I'll duck as soon as I write this to avoid the certain bricks and other assorted slams coming my way, but the M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A thing has always been one of my favorite things about college hockey. It is maddening, to be certain, but it is also somehow a splendid example of the atmosphere one expects at "non-professional" sporting events.

I hate like he77 when I hear it too often when the Sioux are playing the Gophs, but it reminds me that these are just college kids out there, playing their hearts out.

lets not get in to if the U of M is better than UND again. I say this, 7 titles to 5 titles. Win two more, THEN we can start talking about who has the better program.

What about the fact that Minnesota has the most wins in the history of college hockey, the most NCAA tourney appearances in history, the most NCAA tourney wins in history, more frozen fours than UND, an all time winning record against UND, a better all time winning percentage than UND, more WCHA playoff titles than UND, and more Hobey Baker awards than UND.....but don't let facts get in the way of your point that UND is better.

When you take a close look at the history of each program, Minnesota has a much better track record of being consistently good. UND has had many more losing seasons in the last 30 or forty years than Minnesota.

Not to mention the one and only NCAA title game they've played, Minnesota beat UND in '79. :D And how about the Gophers 6-3 record all time in UND's "Imperial Palace."

UND wins in wcha titles 10-9, and ncaa 7-5. Minnesota does have 7 titles by the way, but the first two were before the NCAA existed for hockey. My point is that there's no way you should judge a program solely on NCAA titles, especially in hockey and basketball because these sports were not meant to be single elimination. I think we're talking about the two best programs in the history of college hockey.

Now, only a select few Dakotans and the occasional Wisconsinite are given temporary visas to cross the border and score goals for the greater good that is Gopher hockey.

Occasional Wisconsinite? How about a certain Austrian named Vanek who was pretty much instrumental in getting the 2nd of the bookend titles? I wonder if this clown ever heard of him.

UND and UM fans both have a lot to be proud of regarding their respective programs. I don't think one is any "better" than the other, they're just different.

Excuse me while I go puke. Puh-lease. You must not be a fan of either program.

It was a very well written piece, but that doesn't mean I agree with it. He fails to mention the lack of sportsmanship Gopher fans possess.

When the Gophers win their fans are cocky, but when they lose the whine like little school boys who just got a wedgie.

It was a very well written piece, but that doesn't mean I agree with it. He fails to mention the lack of sportsmanship Gopher fans possess.

Very well written? As a speech in a junior high English class, maybe. I'll write it again...anything that compares a chant at a hockey game to fascist Italy during WWII is hardly well-written. The writer attended the Mariucci "Classic" game involving Union College. I wonder if the fans would have been as "classy" had he attended the second game of a road sweep by Wisconsin a while back against his beloved Gophers.

When the Gophers win their fans are cocky, but when they lose the whine like little school boys who just got a wedgie.

Thank you for your brilliant insight. :D I think UND and Minnesota fans are the two most knowledgable fan bases in college hockey. Both have fans that lack sportsmanship however, but to single out Minnesota's fans shows you have a bias.

Thank you for your brilliant insight. :D I think UND and Minnesota fans are the two most knowledgable fan bases in college hockey. Both have fans that lack sportsmanship however, but to single out Minnesota's fans shows you have a bias.

Agreed, Buckysucks. I remember a few years ago UND was in the midst of a monster home winning streak. I happened to attend the game when the streak was broken and the Sioux team was serenaded with boo birds (particularly from the student section). I seem to recall commenting to one fairly loud fan that he'd just witnessed (forgive me for not remembering the exact number of wins here) 8 or 9 wins in a row and that the team will suffer an occasional loss at home during his four years at UND.

Agreed, Buckysucks. I remember a few years ago UND was in the midst of a monster home winning streak. I happened to attend the game when the streak was broken and the Sioux team was serenaded with boo birds (particularly from the student section). I seem to recall commenting to one fairly loud fan that he'd just witnessed (forgive me for not remembering the exact number of wins here) 8 or 9 wins in a row and that the team will suffer an occasional loss at home during his four years at UND.

Exactly. We all have some fans that make the rest of us look bad, but they are the exception not the norm. The last three years I've gone to Grand Forks wearing my gopher jersey and overall I've been treated very nicely by UND fans. There was the exception here and there but that's bound to happen in any college arena.

Occasional Wisconsinite? How about a certain Austrian named Vanek who was pretty much instrumental in getting the 2nd of the bookend titles? I wonder if this clown ever heard of him.

Your walking on thin ice here buddy. Hearing that Vanek actually had value a hockey team is rarely heard in these parts. :D

Next you'll be saying Kessel does some OK things as well... Careful it's a slippery slope.

Your walking on thin ice here buddy. Hearing that Vanek actually had value a hockey team is rarely heard in these parts. :D

Next you'll be saying Kessel does some OK things as well... Careful it's a slippery slope.

It's not like I'm fond of admitting it, sagard.

Attended my first Gopher fan in 1973 and have been a HUGE fan ever since.

I didn't say you have to agree with the article, I said I think it's stupid for UM fans to think we and our program are better than UND and vice versa. It's a petty argument that cannot be won nor proven.

And what you think of Gopher fans is part of a never ending cycle that imho is lame. Sioux fans have the same percentage of d-bags as Gopher fans, as Badger fans, as... But if you really, really want to believe that Gopher fans are more cocky and whiney then accept the fact a number of Gopher fans think the opposite to be true. Doesn't really get us anywhere does it. :D