SiouxSports.com Forum

Sparky is a 21st Century JIM ARCHIBALD!

SiouxMeNow

The article says that Joel Hanson took down Spirko, but I'm almost 100 percent sure it was Rankin. As rw77 noted, MSU doesn't have an Olson on its roster.

Here's the box score from collegehockeystats.net that lists who got what penalties. I assume that it's accurate.

It shows Finley with the DQ vice Spirko so I doubt it is accurate.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the box score from collegehockeystats.net that lists who got what penalties. I assume that it's accurate.

That box score shows Finley and Radke with the DQ's, as Spirko with just a misconduct.

Good night, I live around too many Scandinavians, Hanson , not Olson (not to be also confused with Johnson and Anderson). Although Hanson is nowhere to be found in the penalty list, so I'd guess he wasn't on the ice. Uff-da

Yes, I think you're right. I know that it took a long time to get all the penalties sorted out after the the game.

Try this one instead.

This one looks more like what I heard over the PA via the TV.

I'm sure Hakstol has the real DQ list. The confusion between all the third parties is just for our conversational pleasure.

Given how one sided his scuffle was with Radke, I think Cummings was DQed for being such a big wimp. :D

speaking of cummings, I was watching the game on friday night, and sweeny made the call, paraphrasing.....sioux player comes in hard on cummings......and then starts laughing and continues...some of the funniest things on tv are what you don't see, mr bernstrom just did the lamoureux stick salute with his water bottle and while squirting water in the air, he almost lost the bottle over the edge and into the fans........

i couldn't believe he was talking about that on a live broadcast of a family event.......of course i laughed cuz the imagery is hilarious, but couldn't believe he even touched it....

heard spirko's dq was changed to just a misconduct

Not bloody likely unless the WCHA has decided to disregard the NCAA 2006 ice hockey rules.

HR-42 RULE 4/PENALTIES

Supplementary Discipline

SECTION 10. The proper disciplinary authority may, at the conclusion of the game, and at its discretion, investigate any incident that occurs in connection with any game and may assess additional suspensions for any offense committed before, during or after a game by a player, coach or non-playing personnel, independent of whether such offense had been penalized by a referee. The proper disciplinary authority may not decrease any penalties assessed before, during or after the game by the on-ice officials.

Note: The proper disciplinary authority has a responsibility to identify the proper penalized player.

That box score shows Finley and Radke with the DQ's, as Spirko with just a misconduct.

Good night, I live around too many Scandinavians, Hanson , not Olson (not to be also confused with Johnson and Anderson). Although Hanson is nowhere to be found in the penalty list, so I'd guess he wasn't on the ice. Uff-da

Was it Hanson that hit Parise on the disallowed goal? They played together at Waterloo.

Was it Hanson that hit Parise on the disallowed goal? They played together at Waterloo.

That was the name given by the FSSN broadcast crew (not Olson as I previously posted :D )when they were replaying the disallowed goal. But don't trust my memory, I may be able to recall exactly what happened in 1979, but I can no longer remember this morning :D

That was the name given by the FSSN broadcast crew (not Olson as I previously posted :D )when they were replaying the disallowed goal. But don't trust my memory, I may be able to recall exactly what happened in 1979, but I can no longer remember this morning :D

As my late great neighbor used to say: I have a terrific memory, but it's very short. :D

So, is this the defining moment for this team? I recall a year ago when many of us were bemoaning the sorry state of affairs on the ice, only to jump on the bandwagon all the way to the final game of the year. The Sioux began to play good hockey late on 04-05, but the catalyst for the late surge seemed to be Robbie Bina's scary check at the WCHA Final Five.

Did the team cross a threshhold Saturday? Is this the "I remember when..." incident?

So, is this the defining moment for this team? I recall a year ago when many of us were bemoaning the sorry state of affairs on the ice, only to jump on the bandwagon all the way to the final game of the year. The Sioux began to play good hockey late on 04-05, but the catalyst for the late surge seemed to be Robbie Bina's scary check at the WCHA Final Five.

Last season, after the holiday break, the Sioux went 3-6-1. They tied and squeaked by Bemidji State. They split with MSU and UAA. They were swept by CC and DU. That, to me, was the low point of the season.

I'd place the turning point last season during the Feb. 26-27 home series against Wisconsin when the UND took 3 of 4 points from the Badgers after going 0-4 in the last two series against them. After that, the Sioux went 9-2-2, the only two losses being to DU at the WCHA Final Five and the NCAA Frozen Four.

So far, this year's team is 5-3-0 since the holiday break -- not great, but not bad, either. I think the upcoming series against SCSU will give us a much better idea of where this year's Sioux team is in comparison to last year's team.

That DQ for Spirko is a travesty. All they were doing was wrestling. If that.

I was expecting Oshie to take a DQ over Sparky, but Oshie was too strong on his skates

to go to the ice. Spirko is strong on his skates as well, but after the cheap hit that he took, he couldn't help but go to the ice.

The really sad thing about the whole thing is that, at least as far as I can tell, Spirko has relatives in

town from the Old Country to watch a couple of Sioux games. If they are planning to stay through next weekend, they will miss seeing their boy sport his wares on Friday night. All because Zelkin is a bonehead.