SiouxSports.com Forum

Lets start speculating now

AZSIOUX

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a what if question:

Is there a way that UND could win out but still not make the NCAAs?

Not a chance. If UND wins out, they win the WCHA Playoff Championship (Final 5) and they get the autobid.

Though, I'm guessing you meant just the regular season. Not sure about that, but I doubt that would be the case.

I just want to see us start winning games consistently for a stretch and not worry about what a computer is going to do to us. But if we have to rely on backing into the tournament based on factors outside our control, I'll take it.

Anyone concerned that if we lose our nickname appeal, this could be our last chance to host a regional? And if so, it would be absolutely horrible if we didn't make the big dance.

Notre Dame to lose to Bowling Green. That might lower some of the other CCHA teams if Notre Dame is no longer a TUC.

Not sure what to hope for with OSU/FSU. OSU is above the Sioux, FSU is behind. Some OSU losses might put them below the Sioux.

There is a lot of goofyness with those CCHA teams and UND comparisons. I wouldn't root for a Ferris sweep against OSU, because they would then likely take the UND comparison and it might be a harder comparison for UND to take back later than the OSU comparison.

As you said UND just needs to win and the rest will probably take care of itself.

There is a lot of goofyness with those CCHA teams and UND comparisons. I wouldn't root for a Ferris sweep against OSU, because they would then likely take the UND comparison and it might be a harder comparison for UND to take back later than the OSU comparison.

As you said UND just needs to win and the rest will probably take care of itself.

great point, win out and we are in great shape, win 5 of 6 with the split in denver and we should be in good shape...just win our games and the rest will shake out and i will be enjoying the 32oz bombers at the ralph at the end of march :lol:

great point, win out and we are in great shape, win 5 of 6 with the split in denver and we should be in good shape...just win our games and the rest will shake out and i will be enjoying the 32oz bombers at the ralph at the end of march :lol:

JUST WIN BABY!! If we are going to try and rely on what other teams do we are in trouble. We need to win 5 of the next 6, bottom line. Anything less than that will spell trouble. I am looking very much forward to attending the regional as I have had my tickets for a while now and yes more than likely there will be a "32oz bomber" in hand. So come on Sioux you have no choice but to qualify. I would rather burn my tickets than watch the Goofers celebrate a regional victory while the Sioux did not make the tourney. If the Goofers are going to fall short of the frozen four I think it will be the Sioux that get that job done. If the Sioux don't make it I don't see anyone else getting that job done.

Anyone concerned that if we lose our nickname appeal, this could be our last chance to host a regional? And if so, it would be absolutely horrible if we didn't make the big dance.

Even before the nickname fiasco, the NCAA wanted to start moving away from hosting regionals at a member institution's home rink. They were looking for more neutral sites like Worcestor, Albany, Green Bay, etc. But given the fact that "neutral" sites are difficult to find in the west, REA probably would have hosted future regionals. But given the nickname issue, and I can't envision REA ever hosting another regional again. If UND loses the appeal, then we are not eligible to host another regional. Even if UND wins the appeal, we would be eligible, but I still doubt it would happen.

Have faith that we don't have to worry about doing that.

If this were to happen, and I am a firm believer that it will, we will be hoisting Number Eight at The Ralph next October.

On a more realistic note, if we were to "win out," we'd be Final Five champs and automatically in the field.

I know that this is not what you meant to ask, but it is a literal answer to your question RW77.

The streak starts tomorrow night.

If this were to happen, and I am a firm believer that it will, we will be hoisting Number Eight at The Ralph next October.

On a more realistic note, if we were to "win out," we'd be Final Five champs and automatically in the field.

I know that this is not what you meant to ask, but it is a literal answer to your question RW77.

The streak starts tomorrow night.

NDH, are you going to be at the Ralph when you start streaking, or are you going to do it in the privacy of your own home ? :lol:

NDH, are you going to be at the Ralph when you start streaking, or are you going to do it in the privacy of your own home ? :huh:

I'd probably surmise that it will be a combination of both! :lol:;)

And a clarification on my question:

I MEANT to mean that "win out" doesn't include the Final Five.

I've got a question for someone. How come so many CCHA teams are in the top 30 in the pwr? Is their conference really that good? It seems like ohio state can lose every game and they dont move anywhere in the rankings.

i haven't done a super in-depth look at it, but it seems that beacuse the CCHA did so well during it's non-conference games, it essentially means teams in the ccha are ranked higher because they play each other so much.

like the wcha in previous years, if you beat up in non-conference games, your league will get a higher ranking, which means every conference game you play is technically against a "good opponent" even if it's just a lower-conf team.

UND is still losing 15 comparisons, but that sweep was critical. It does put UND in position to win a couple more comparisons down the road. UND picked up the BC comparison, but dropped the Maine comparison. Both of these will come down to RPI at the end of the season and chances are UND will now end up winning both of those when tourney play is done. Michigan State reclaimed the UND comparison and Providence gave it up.

Fairbanks - UND needs to take over TUC currently: AF 8-12-4 vs. UND 7-12-1.

BU - UND needs to pass them in RPI. Probably lost.

CC - UND needs to pass them in RPI and to play and win the 1st round series against them.

DU - UND needs the sweep.

Harvard - Lost.

Maine - RPI. UND should pass them after next weekend, but it will remain very close.

Miami - Lost.

Michigan - UND needs to pass them in RPI. Getting very close now.

Michigan State - Tough. Need RPI and TUC.

Minnesota - Lost.

UNO - UND needs to retake RPI. Will come down to the results and the X and Joe.

Northern Michigan - Sioux must not lose to Tech.

Ohio State - UND needs to retake CO. UND needs to play and beat CC in 1st round.

SCSU - UND can either play and beat them in playoffs or pass in TUC. Very likely.

Wisconsin - Lost.

UND will probably win the SCSU and Northern Michigan comparisons. That puts them with 13 comparisons lost with about five in play.

Get a win in Denver and sweep Tech. Make the Final Five. Finishing fifth and playing a TUC in the first round would help, otherwise UND may need two wins at the X.

It's going to be VERY close unless UND sweeps DU. Then UND would be looking good.

i haven't done a super in-depth look at it, but it seems that beacuse the CCHA did so well during it's non-conference games, it essentially means teams in the ccha are ranked higher because they play each other so much.

like the wcha in previous years, if you beat up in non-conference games, your league will get a higher ranking, which means every conference game you play is technically against a "good opponent" even if it's just a lower-conf team.

I have the same questions. The CCHA has not done that well against the WCHA or others. Here is a sampling:

1. Miami 18-6-2 and 21-7-4. Lost to UND 3-0. [0-1 v. WCHA]

2. Michigan State 13-7-6 and 19-10-7. W v. UND 3-0. L v. Wisconsin. T v. Minnesota. L to CC 6-3. [1-2-1 v. WCHA]

3. Michigan 13-9-4 and 18-12-4. L v. Minn. L v. Wis. L v. CC [0-3 v. WCHA]

4. UNO 12-9-4 and 18-11-5. L twice to MSUM [0-2 v. WCHA]

5. Lake Superior St. 1-11-4 and 15-11-6. No games against WCHA.

5. Northern Mich. 12-12-2 and 18-14-2. Split with SCSu, Swept MTU, L v. Wis. [3-2 v. WCHA]

7. Ohio St. 11-12-3 and 15-15-5. Split with CC. L to Wis. L and T with Alabama-Huntsville [1-2 v. WCHA]

8. Ferris State 9-11-6 and 14-13-7. L v. NH, Split with BSU, T v. BC, W v. Denver [1-0 v. WCHA]

8. Alaska-Fairbanks 10-12-4 and 12-16-4. W and T v. UM. 3 of 4 v. AAU. [4-0-1 v. WCHA]

8. Notre Dame 10-12-4 and 12-16-4. L v. CC. L v. Denver. Split with MSUM. [1-3 v. WHCA]

11. Bowling Green 8-16-2 and 13-19-2. L v. Merrimack, L v. BC, L v. Clarkson [0-0 v. WCHA]

12. Western Mich 6-16-4 and 7-22-5. L v. Wis. Losses to Wayne St, Robert Morris, Niagra. [0-1 v. WCHA]

It appears that other than UM's early hiccup against AFU, and Denver's loss to Ferris St (while missing players to World Juniors), the WCHA's "top" teams have handled the CCHA. Minn, Wis and CC have owned the top teams from the WCHA. MSUM beat UNO twice handily, and they are 7th in the WCHA. The top team from the CCHA, Miami, lost to UND.

I don't get it. The CCHA appears to be the most overrated conference. Do they have dirty pictures of the Pairwise Rankings committtee?? :huh:

I have the same questions. The CCHA has not done that well against the WCHA or others. Here is a sampling:

1. Miami 18-6-2 and 21-7-4. Lost to UND 3-0. [0-1 v. WCHA]

2. Michigan State 13-7-6 and 19-10-7. W v. UND 3-0. L v. Wisconsin. T v. Minnesota. L to CC 6-3. [1-2-1 v. WCHA]

3. Michigan 13-9-4 and 18-12-4. L v. Minn. L v. Wis. L v. CC [0-3 v. WCHA]

4. UNO 12-9-4 and 18-11-5. L twice to MSUM [0-2 v. WCHA]

5. Lake Superior St. 1-11-4 and 15-11-6. No games against WCHA.

5. Northern Mich. 12-12-2 and 18-14-2. Split with SCSu, Swept MTU, L v. Wis. [3-2 v. WCHA]

7. Ohio St. 11-12-3 and 15-15-5. Split with CC. L to Wis. L and T with Alabama-Huntsville [1-2 v. WCHA]

8. Ferris State 9-11-6 and 14-13-7. L v. NH, Split with BSU, T v. BC, W v. Denver [1-0 v. WCHA]

8. Alaska-Fairbanks 10-12-4 and 12-16-4. W and T v. UM. 3 of 4 v. AAU. [4-0-1 v. WCHA]

8. Notre Dame 10-12-4 and 12-16-4. L v. CC. L v. Denver. Split with MSUM. [1-3 v. WHCA]

11. Bowling Green 8-16-2 and 13-19-2. L v. Merrimack, L v. BC, L v. Clarkson [0-0 v. WCHA]

12. Western Mich 6-16-4 and 7-22-5. L v. Wis. Losses to Wayne St, Robert Morris, Niagra. [0-1 v. WCHA]

It appears that other than UM's early hiccup against AFU, and Denver's loss to Ferris St (while missing players to World Juniors), the WCHA's "top" teams have handled the CCHA. Minn, Wis and CC have owned the top teams from the WCHA. MSUM beat UNO twice handily, and they are 7th in the WCHA. The top team from the CCHA, Miami, lost to UND.

I don't get it. The CCHA appears to be the most overrated conference. Do they have dirty pictures of the Pairwise Rankings committtee?? :huh:

FYI - Mankato will likely be a TUC after next weekend's series with Wisconsin (projected RPI .4993 + .0040 bonus) so UND's TUC will get a boost. With a split a Denver UND should win 3-4 more comparisons based on TUC alone.

Mankato will be very close to being a TUC at the end of the season and that would clearly help UND. They probably need a win or two to get there. Let's have them sweep UW to be safe. :huh:

Mankato will be very close to being a TUC at the end of the season and that would clearly help UND. They probably need a win or two to get there. Let's have them sweep UW to be safe. :huh:

If MTU can tie UW, I think MSUM could take at least 1 point from UW, if not 2 points.

How did we slide down a spot in the polls after we gain a sweep? They haven't updated the brackets yet on USCHO (still Feb. 18), but are we back in now or what's the deal.

the polls do not mean a thing, the important thing is we moved up a few spots in the pairwise which is the only thing that matters, good question though..they never make to much sense. i believe they have updated the brackets and we would still be out. 2 wins in du this weekend would put a end to that. go sioux!!!

Thanks, AZ I knew you would have an answer for me. I hope we can win. I was over on gopher puck live and they have been chatting about the final five and I can't wait for that. Once we get into that tourney we will need to have a good showing to help our cause and gain a good seed.