SiouxSports.com Forum

Lets start speculating now

AZSIOUX

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/pwr.php

Sioux 9th and with 3-2-1 bonus they are T-10th. Either way a 3 seed as of now.

http://www.uscho.com/news/id,11636/Bracket...yJan182006.html

This Week's Brackets (3-2-1 Bonus)

Grand Forks

CHA Champion vs. Miami

North Dakota vs. Ohio State

Green Bay

Mercyhurst vs. Wisconsin

Michigan vs. Boston College

Worcester

Nebraska-Omaha vs. Minnesota

New Hampshire vs. Colorado College

Albany

Harvard vs. Michigan State

Vermont vs. St. Lawrence

Conference Breakdowns

CCHA - 5

WCHA - 4

HEA - 3

ECACHL - 2

AHA - 1

CHA - 1

The CCHA is The Conference this year. With it's out of conference record, the RPI is really high for the league, therefore propping up the number of teams.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was surprised to see SLU get a #1 seed. Didn't expect them to be up there so high.

I like this bracket for the Sioux:

Grand Forks

CHA Champion vs. Miami

They'd have a good couple games with Ohio and Miami, but I think that they could beat both teams (they've already beaten Miami once this season) and get to the FF.

We'll see how things change with the rest of the season.

I was surprised to see SLU get a #1 seed. Didn't expect them to be up there so high.

Grand Forks

CHA Champion vs. Miami

They'd have a good couple games with Ohio and Miami, but I think that they could beat both teams (they've already beaten Miami once this season) and get to the FF.

After a couple of down years, it would be nice to have some new blood in the tournament. Go Vermont Catamounts and go Lake Superior State Lakers!

Grand Forks

CHA Champion vs. Miami

They give us that bracket and we will be sitting in the Mil drinking miller lites.

None of them teams scare me.

Overall, this is not a surprise to what those of us watching the SS.com PWR for weeks now. http://siouxsports.com/hockey/rankings/pwr.php

(Those making picks based on historical success that has nothing to do with this year - cough Cornell - cough Denver - cough Maine - are probably surprised. http://www.uscho.com/news/id,11635/PairWiseSurprise.html )

=======================================

Observations:

1) The numbers still change really rapidly, especially in the big bunch from about #7 to #20. UND could still miss out on the dance. Or we could be a #1 seed. Its up to the guys.

Still, if you told me on 10/1/2005 that we would be sitting #10 on January 18, I would have taken it in a heartbeat. (You kidding me? 13 rookies, including 4+ rookies on defense? and we're only going to get better)

2) Love the hypothetical draw with Miami and Ohio State, or, frankly any CCHA team except Michigan. Reason is that those two, and most of the CCHA, play a defense-first, trap, you-make-the-first-mistake kind of hockey. And the only proven way to beat the Sioux this year is to pressure pressure pressure. (Which I don't think will work come March 15, but time will tell.) So I would be thrilled to see Miami and tOSU come to the Ralph.

3) Just win baby.

I heard Dubay on his radio show yesterday or Monday state that he had a source in management at REA that said the NCAA told them Minnesota would be placed in GF to bring the fans in. I don't think he was specifically talking about them being a #1 seed. Believe his statement or not. That's up to you.

Farce, I love your optimism and will hold to it. Freshmen also often times wear down over the course of a season, especially WJ partcipants. The Sioux are especially vulnerable with such a heavy load of "at risk" players. Fortunately, as you say, they also have a great upside, especially with this talented class. Not all will fade, nor will all progress as we'd like.

The key lies in the balance (or imbalance). And where will be the fulcrum?

I heard Dubay on his radio show yesterday or Monday state that he had a source in management at REA that said the NCAA told them Minnesota would be placed in GF to bring the fans in. I don't think he was specifically talking about them being a #1 seed. Believe his statement or not. That's up to you.

It can only be base on speculation that either the Gophers are a #1, or if the Sioux don't make the tourney. I think the Gophers will be the #1 in GF, #2 overall seed. But I'm optimistic. :huh:

Farce, I love your optimism and will hold to it. Freshmen also often times wear down over the course of a season, especially WJ partcipants. The Sioux are especially vulnerable with such a heavy load of "at risk" players. Fortunately, as you say, they also have a great upside, especially with this talented class. Not all will fade, nor will all progress as we'd like.

The key lies in the balance (or imbalance). And where will be the fulcrum?

I think the fulcrum is Stafford and Zajac; they can carry a team when they really want it.

But that's probably not what you meant.

I think its possible some of our rookies show fatigue, and wouldn't mind seeing some spot-rested players down the stretch. Or, alternatively, a little less icetime against the 3rd tier of WCHA opponents.

The best scenario might be to pull a Denver. Clinch a spot in the Dance during the regular season, bag the first round WCHA, get a week of rest, and then kick some aff in the West Regional.

I hope we get an easy regional like the Gophers do when it is in Minneapolis. I Think that Denver or Duluth could do some damage in the tourney. We need a nice run of wins together to prove that we can win.

That's not necessarily restricted to Minneapolis. Remember 2002 when Denver won the WCHA regular season AND playoffs and got sent to Yost to play Michigan, while Minnesota also went to Yost but got to play Michigan State? Michigan fans were more than happy to cheer for Minnesota over their hated in-state rival. Most experts agreed and were quite stunned. The match-up that year should have been Minnesota playing Michigan and Denver playing Michigan State.

Of course, the NCAA made up for it in the Frozen Four by making sure a referee called an obvious penalty on Adam Hauser for slashing in OT of the title game, which gave Maine a power play and resulted in their third national championship. Oh wait...nevermind...

That's not necessarily restricted to Minneapolis. Remember 2002 when Denver won the WCHA regular season AND playoffs and got sent to Yost to play Michigan, while Minnesota also went to Yost but got to play Michigan State? Michigan fans were more than happy to cheer for Minnesota over their hated in-state rival. Most experts agreed and were quite stunned. The match-up that year should have been Minnesota playing Michigan and Denver playing Michigan State.

Of course, the NCAA made up for it in the Frozen Four by making sure a referee called an obvious penalty on Adam Hauser for slashing in OT of the title game, which gave Maine a power play and resulted in their third national championship. Oh wait...nevermind...

You guys can cry me a river. In '02 Experts were stunned about the West stays in the West, but not at all about the actual brackets. They went strictly by PWR.

In '02 the western regionals were:

#2 DU

#3 UM

#5 MSU

#6 UMich

#8 SCSU

#9 CC

DU played the winner of UMich and SCSU. The Gophs got the winner of MSU/CC. Yes the Gophers got "lucky" that CC ousted Ryan Miller and MSU, but the only teams who got real breaks that year were the eastern cupcakes who were very LUCKY to avoid the west until the championship game. Of course UMaine easily could have won that game, but Hauser gave them two weak goals and they didn't get the breaks/calls in the OT.

You guys can cry me a river. In '02 Experts were stunned about the West stays in the West, but not at all about the actual brackets. They went strictly by PWR.

In '02 the western regionals were:

#2 DU

#3 UM

#5 MSU

#6 UMich

#8 SCSU

#9 CC

DU played the winner of UMich and SCSU. The Gophs got the winner of MSU/CC. Yes the Gophers got "lucky" that CC ousted Ryan Miller and MSU, but the only teams who got real breaks that year were the eastern cupcakes who were very LUCKY to avoid the west until the championship game. Of course UMaine easily could have won that game, but Hauser gave them two weak goals and they didn't get the breaks/calls in the OT.

I wasn't blaming the Gophers, sagard. The blame is with the bracketologists who somehow think hosting a regional in your own building isn't a big deal. If that regional isn't in Yost in 2002, I GUARANTEE you that Michigan doesn't make the Frozen Four. That 2002 Denver team was EASILY the best team they had in recent memory, INCLUDING their 2004 and 2005 championship teams.

Well, it was a wild weekend, and one which solidified UND's standing.

"Just win baby" is the first part, and a sweep of MSU was necessary to increase UND's RPI and PWR. http://siouxsports.com/hockey/rankings/rpi.php Assuming a 3-2-1 bonus, we're now sitting #7 RPI-wise.

The second part is we got lots of help elsewhere. Mostly everyone right around us dropped at least one this weekend.

** St Lawrence lost two in the ECACHL, and we are now within .0067 of St Lawrence.

** Michigan lost a game, to Bowling Green.

** Ohio State lost one at UAF.

** CC got swept, we're within .0038 of CC.

** Michigan State split with Omaha.

USCHO has an updated hypothetical bracket in case you haven't seen.

http://www.uscho.com/pdf/general/2006bracket.pdf

As of Sunday AM, they are showing 5 CCHA, 4 ECACHL and just 1 Hockey East team getting in. Who'da thunk.

With Minnesota's sweep, and with the way they are playing lately, they look to be a favorite for a #1 seed. (Would be fun to see Gophers vs Bemidji in the first round.) So the only way UND can avoid having to go through the Gophers at the Ralph is to get a #1 seed. For the Sioux to get a #1, Miami will have to lose a few, or BC, we have to win out, and a lot of other things have to happen.

Until then, JUST WIN BABY.

It would be tough but this latest projected Bracket would jam the REA to capacity for every game.

http://www.uscho.com/pdf/general/2006bracket.pdf

We had the same idea at the same time. Agree it would be a fun regional with 3 "local" teams.

Would rather Minnesota go play a couple thousand miles away however, especially given how well they are playing now.

We had the same idea at the same time. Agree it would be a fun regional with 3 "local" teams.

Would rather Minnesota go play a couple thousand miles away however, especially given how well they are playing now.

The Gophers would be the least decorated school at that regional with only five NCAA titles. :D

How bout the Worcester and Green Bay regions, scary stuff right there I like UND's chances in the Grand Forks Regional.

If UND gets through their regional they will have earned it. Very likely a tough first round game followed by the Gophers in the regional final.

Does anyone know how to avoid Ticketmaster charges @6.50 per ticket for the Western Regional games?

Ducking the REA $3.50 per ticket would be nice, but I'm guessing there is no shot at ducking that.

If UND gets through their regional they will have earned it. Very likely a tough first round game followed by the Gophers in the regional final.

Does anyone know how to avoid Ticketmaster charges @6.50 per ticket for the Western Regional games?

Ducking the REA $3.50 per ticket would be nice, but I'm guessing there is no shot at ducking that.

I think the only way to avoid paying the Ticketmaster charges would be to purchase your tickets through the REA box office directly...I don't think you can avoid paying the REA charge though, but I could be wrong.

It might work the other way as well, with you being able to avoid paying the REA charge by going directly through the REA box office, but still having to pay the Ticketmaster charge. Your best and cheapest bet is to go through the REA box office directly though I think.

I see that you are already looking past BSU. :D:D

Agreed though. If the season ended today, facing Mich and then possibly Minn would be a tough two-game set to make it to the FF.

But I have faith, being that the Sioux managed to get past BU/BC out east last year. It's possible. :D