SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs Gophers in Rodentville

AZSIOUX

Here is my question to the Sioux players, how can you not be excited to play the Goofers? It was apparent in the last game they weren't very excited. I would be a nervous wreak in class all week if I was playing in that game. I wouldn't be able to concentrate in class that whole week and I would come flying out on the ice to start that game. My emotions and adrenaline would carry me through the first game. Our guys came out flat and not prepared. How was really disappointedn they not be excited. Emotions should get them 5 goals alone this weekend.

I'd be happy with just enough goals to win the game be it 1 or 12 :D

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe I read that the newest Sioux recruit, Dazel, from the Ukraine, will not be eligible til next Fall. So he will not be playing.

edit: Which is a bummer, because his father Lacka, Sr., was the last cut from the powerhouse Soviet team in 1980.

I read somewhere that Lacka was pretty ticked about being cut from that team. While he was sitting home watching the Russians lose to the US, Lacka's father said "Looks like they cut the wrong guy".

Here is my question to the Sioux players, how can you not be excited to play the Goofers? It was apparent in the last game they weren't very excited. I would be a nervous wreak in class all week if I was playing in that game. I wouldn't be able to concentrate in class that whole week and I would come flying out on the ice to start that game. My emotions and adrenaline would carry me through the first game. Our guys came out flat and not prepared. How was really disappointedn they not be excited. Emotions should get them 5 goals alone this weekend.

I'm trying to remember, but I'm thinking I remember Hakstol saying something about the young guys especially being TOO worked up before the Friday night game against the Gophers, and that might have contributed to a poor start that weekend. So I think they got excited, but didn't handle it as well as the Gophers did.

I never said, nor meant to say, that Minny's PP was a weakness. However, I believe (even for the Sioux) that if you get over a minute of 5 on 3 time, you should score. I mean, 5 of you, 3 of them. Can't you make anything happen?

I knew Minny's PP was VERY good which is why I'm quite degrading towards that 5 on 3. With the way you guys were able to move the puck around, I don't see how you couldn't have made one count.

All I'm saying is, if we can play well, then a scattering of minors won't hurt us. To say that we have to play penalty free is like saying the officiating has to be 100 percent consistent. Neither is going to happen, but penalty free play is more possible...

Oh well.

On November 28, 1999, the Sioux had 1:52 of 5 on 3 against New Hampshire and didn't score. C'mon, there's five of you and only three of them. What gives?

UND's powerplay in the last 10 years hasn't been nearly as good as UM's over the last few. Though a 5x3 is usually a great opportunity, it doesn't guarantee anything. Anyone can be shut out of one...UND has this year, and so has UM.

All things considered, UND once again should watch penalties, but effing take it to them physically. The gophers thrive in open spaces, so close them down and we'll see what happens. I don't think the sioux need to play penalty free, but I'd watch out if Irmen's in the box and the gophers "happen" to clear. :D

One angle that's been tossed about by Woog, the Strib and on this and other boards, is the idea that MN has gotten fat on their cupcakes and might have truoble adjusting to a good opponent. I think this concept is overdone.

To start with, MN's opponents haven't been nearly as bad as people suggest. These "fringe" Division 1 teams are no longer a joke. They are real teams capable of giving anyone a good game. Yes, Union was overmatched. But Union followed up their pasting by MN by playign Harvard to a tie - the same Harvard that played UND to a standstill and looked pretty good doing it.

Niagara's fun to laugh at, with the Purple Eagles and Niagara "falls" (haha), but they're a real team too. They've beaten Bemidji, who gave the Sioux a real run on Friday and probably were only prevented from winning by Phil L. They also beat UNH 6-2 just a week ago, and played Vermont and Cornell in four very close games.

The fact that MN overwhelmed them says more about MN than it does about Union and Niagara. In fact, in the current era, no one dominates the lesser teams like MN does. Something about the speed and that crisp passing attack is too much for the lower teams.

While we're talking about respecting opponents, I also don't think it's a disgrace that UND would lose to a team like UAA. UAA has beaten Duluth, SCSU and Denver so far this year, and they absolutely had MN on the ropes. I'm not happy about the loss, but when people talk about how tough the WCHA is, it's not just lip service. It really is difficult every weekend.

This weekend will be difficult but not impossible. UND will need excellent goaltending to come home with any points. But I think UND will show up with the effort they are capable of, and I think they will get some points.

Olympic ice is definately a factor. It gives a strong advantage to spped and skill.

Olympic ice is definately a factor. It gives a strong advantage to spped and skill.

Yeah and the one thing from Niagara games that I didn't mention was Minnesota's passing. They are GREAT passers. If the Sioux passed as well as they did, I doubt we would have split Harvard, UAA, or have gotten swept by UMN.

I truly believe that a great passing game opens up a great offensive game.

Yeah and the one thing from Niagara games that I didn't mention was Minnesota's passing. They are GREAT passers. If the Sioux passed as well as they did, I doubt we would have split Harvard, UAA, or have gotten swept by UMN.

I truly believe that a great passing game opens up a great offensive game.

Hate to give them credit, but this has historically been a strength of Minnesota's much like Physical play has been for UND

However, I believe (even for the Sioux) that if you get over a minute of 5 on 3 time, you should score. I mean, 5 of you, 3 of them. Can't you make anything happen?

Someone needs to tell the players that it is that easy. :D

Haven't seen this anywhere yet . . .

Gophers juggling lineup.

With the University of Minnesota men's hockey team down to six healthy defensemen for its weekend series at home against North Dakota, the continued absence of Nate Hagemo has caused the Gophers to do some juggling.

"We're going to experiment with some options," Minnesota coach Don Lucia said Monday, noting that forward Andy Sertich has started practicing at defense. "We'll make a decision at the end of the week."

Any word on how Parise is doing? I heard that the GF Herald is saying he is questionable for the weekend with an upper body injury. (I had heard hip flexor from previous posts or a concussion) I didn't check the article myself. Anyone hear anything?

I just copied the article into the thread on Parise and Radke... you can find it there