SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs Gophers in Rodentville

AZSIOUX

What will we see? Will we pay them back for the 2 games at the Ralph...Or will we get our friday night win and see the gophers get a split saturday? i believe this is a huge series for the sioux..yeah i know, bold statement...lets go in there and play 120 minutes of hockey and come out of minneapolis with some WCHA points!!

GO SIOUX

cfa0860e83a4c3a763a7e62d825349f7.jpg

INTERESTING TREND....last 4 series at minnesota...win 1st game, lose 2nd game...there was not a series last year 04/05 at minnesota, only games in g forks.

2000/2001

FRI WIN - 5-1

SAT LOSS - 4-1

2001/2002 (yes they played this series saturday and sunday) same trend continues....

SAT WIN - 4-3

SUN LOSS - 2-1

2002/2003

FRI WIN - 4-2

SAT LOSS - 6-3

2003/2004

FRI WIN - 4-2

SAT LOSS - 2-1

last time in minnesota we did not lose in a series

1999/2000

FRI TIE - 2-2

SAT WIN - 3-2

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually like our chances against Minnesota, besides Minnesota is due some bad play/breaks. I think both teams are pretty even and our goaltending is better, I will take a Parise over a Briggs anyday. Parise > Briggs. Or a Parise > Frazee. Our defense is just as mobile and probably better defensively, UofMN doesn't have a player with Smaby physicality (Physical ability). Now I know UofMN fans are going to say we shut out Union and only allowed 3 goals against Niagra, please before you start you feasted on a weaker opponent, UND is going to bring it and they are going to be fired up.

Harrington is out for the first game - fighting misconduct - even though it wasn't a fight. Too bad though, can't see Sparky undress him shorthanded again.

I can see a sweep if Jordan can play

well with harrington being out at least that guarentees that his jock strap wont be left at the blue line when spirko comes in the zone :D

http://web.nccray.com/tkessler/spirko.wmv

The Gopher forwards are great at crossing the blue line and working a 3 on 2. Guys are where they need to be for a rebound (something the Sioux struggle with). They are also really good at sitting someone in the slot. Look for them to harrass Parise again. Though I'm sure in the pre-game meetings the refs will say something about this.

Their D is weak. They aren't so bad in their own zone, but give up a lot of rushes. They were trying to stop Niagara from enterring into the offensive zone by waiting at the blue line. Niagara just chipped it past and got some nice 2 on 1's and mini-breaks. They just couldn't finish.

I'm hoping the Gophers are overconfident heading into this. The Sioux should be ready to play after getting swept earlier in the year and now losing one to UAA.

The gophers may have played everyone but the Little Sisters lately but they've beat them all the way a good team should....handily. So I think they are on their game. Sounds like their goaltending is at times spotty still, so hopefully they'll be in a generous mood when our boys are in town.

Call me a wussy, but I'm still worried about WJC fatigue. I know the Gophers had 2 players who played a fair amount there, but the Sioux had 4. So I do think that could play a factor. That, and the Gophers appear to be playing more consistently now than the Sioux. Could be a tough series. If the Sioux can get 2 points, I think that's very satisfactory. They could easily be swept.

Harrington is out for the first game - fighting misconduct - even though it wasn't a fight. Too bad though, can't see Sparky undress him shorthanded again.

I can see a sweep if Jordan can play

A "sweep if Jordan can play":D???

Did you see him play against them a few weeks ago. He let in at least 2 soft goals per game. Maybe the Parise of last February/March, but the current version aint getting it done.

I'm comfortable with Phil. He played VERY WELL in the 3rd period of the second game and maybe he's the factor against them this year.

I hate the GOPHS!!!! GO SIOUX!!!!!!!

A "sweep if Jordan can play":D???

Did you see him play against them a few weeks ago. He let in at least 2 soft goals per game. Maybe the Parise of last February/March, but the current version aint getting it done.

I'm comfortable with Phil. He played VERY WELL in the 3rd period of the second game and maybe he's the factor against them this year.

I hate the GOPHS!!!! GO SIOUX!!!!!!!

yeh well, you go with the consistantly better of the two and hope the D plays well

I guess I don't agree with Shep.

We've played much better with Jordy in net. Phil lets in his share of soft goals if that's the primary factor.

I really think that if Jordan plays, our chances of winning will be that much better. He can steal games. So far, Phil's had one REALLY good game (Saturday, UAA) and 2 good games to go with 2 or 3 bad games and 2 or 3 games where the D and O just didn't help him.

We know Phil will play at least one of the two games. No idea if Jordy will play either game because no one has a clue as to how severe the injury is. We'll probably know better Wednesday.

We've played much better with Jordy in net. Phil lets in his share of soft goals if that's the primary factor.

I really think that if Jordan plays, our chances of winning will be that much better. He can steal games. So far, Phil's had one REALLY good game (Saturday, UAA) and 2 good games to go with 2 or 3 bad games and 2 or 3 games where the D and O just didn't help him.

We know Phil will play at least one of the two games. No idea if Jordy will play either game because no one has a clue as to how severe the injury is. We'll probably know better Wednesday.

You note that "Phil's had one REALLY good game" and I can not overestimate the significance that such game ended less than 24 hours ago. The HOT HAND perhaps??

Also, I go back to the Minny series. They seem to have Parise's number this year. He just was NOT sharp. Phil came in (and I'd suggest this should count as one of his really good games) and shut them down and though their was no offense to speak of, gave the team a chance to win.

Which was more than what we got with Parise.

I'm not saying forever, but for this series, I'd be comfortable with Phil both nights.

I actually like our chances against Minnesota, besides Minnesota is due some bad play/breaks. I think both teams are pretty even and our goaltending is better, I will take a Parise over a Briggs anyday. Parise > Briggs. Or a Parise > Frazee. Our defense is just as mobile and probably better defensively, UofMN doesn't have a player with Smaby physicality (Physical ability). Now I know UofMN fans are going to say we shut out Union and only allowed 3 goals against Niagra, please before you start you feasted on a weaker opponent, UND is going to bring it and they are going to be fired up.

According to the Krach on this site AA is weaker than Niagara. :0 Briggs was good enough to sweep in GF, he should be good enough to potentially sweep at home. While I would agree that the talent level of these two teams is even, the Gophers are playing better than the Sioux right now. I also see the inexperience on D hurting the Sioux as it did last month. So for this series I think the Gophers will take at least three points, with Ryan and Danny doing most of the damage. :D Regardless, it should be great hockey.

I agree with Dags. I'd be very happy with split. They've been rolling against the high school teams and have had a little more rest while hosting these "teams." The good guys on the other hand had have the trip to AA and have played so-so to very solid. It will be an interesting series as always.

Lets Go Sioux!

We might want to look at this series through green and white sun glasses, because I think UofMN is prime for the picking and UND only needs to split and hope for a few bounces and get a sweep. I think the later is possible. I have one word for you guys Briggs, he is not worthy of sniffing Parise cup in my opinion.

When the games counted last season Jordy shine brighter than Briggs.

The gophers may have played everyone but the Little Sisters lately but they've beat them all the way a good team should....handily. So I think they are on their game. Sounds like their goaltending is at times spotty still, so hopefully they'll be in a generous mood when our boys are in town.

Call me a wussy, but I'm still worried about WJC fatigue. I know the Gophers had 2 players who played a fair amount there, but the Sioux had 4. So I do think that could play a factor. That, and the Gophers appear to be playing more consistently now than the Sioux. Could be a tough series. If the Sioux can get 2 points, I think that's very satisfactory. They could easily be swept.

Wussy :D

After Donnie Lucifer's little temper tantrum he laid on Greg Shepherd over the Harrington DQ(where, rumor has it, he said, "You can't do this to us, who do you think we are? Fu&*^$g North Dakota?), UMN should get a couple of our good goals waived off, a couple phanotom goals of their own, or a combination of the two. AGAIN

You note that "Phil's had one REALLY good game" and I can not overestimate the significance that such game ended less than 24 hours ago. The HOT HAND perhaps??

Also, I go back to the Minny series. They seem to have Parise's number this year. He just was NOT sharp. Phil came in (and I'd suggest this should count as one of his really good games) and shut them down and though their was no offense to speak of, gave the team a chance to win.

Which was more than what we got with Parise.

I'm not saying forever, but for this series, I'd be comfortable with Phil both nights.

I don't believe Jordan's play cost us the games the first time around. Last time I checked we didn't really do well when the puck was in the Gopher zone.

If we don't play well as a team, I don't care if Belfour, Casey, Goehring, or God him/herself is in net, we won't win!

And as for seeing Phil in net, you will see him in net. I agree that he may just have the hot hand. Especially since there's no telling if Jordy will play at all this weekend. For all we know, the injury could be serious enough to force him to miss some time.

Jordan has done too much for this team to simply be relegated to backing up Phil. If you recall last year, Jordan started getting hot and he's still amazing as a playoff goaltender.

Jordan's been as close to a #1 goaltender as we've had since Karl wore the number 1.

I don't believe Jordan's play cost us the games the first time around. Last time I checked we didn't really do well when the puck was in the Gopher zone.

If we don't play well as a team, I don't care if Belfour, Casey, Goehring, or God him/herself is in net, we won't win!

And as for seeing Phil in net, you will see him in net. I agree that he may just have the hot hand. Especially since there's no telling if Jordy will play at all this weekend. For all we know, the injury could be serious enough to force him to miss some time.

Jordan has done too much for this team to simply be relegated to backing up Phil. If you recall last year, Jordan started getting hot and he's still amazing as a playoff goaltender.

Jordan's been as close to a #1 goaltender as we've had since Karl wore the number 1.

I do believe that Jordy wan't all that focused on his play that weekend and spent too much time worring about Stoa and how he was crowding the crease. I think that took some of his focus off of the game and enabled the goofers to cash in. Maybe some of our defensemen need to review some of last years playoff games and how you clear the front of the net without taking a penalty. Heck why not thump him take your two minutes, kill the penatly and see if Stoa keeps his antics up. I am pretty sure if he gets thumped enough times going in the crease he is probably going to find some where else to park himself. But your goaltender doesn't need to be worrying about it, that is why he has Defense men.

Edited by Goon

No idea if Jordy will play either game because no one has a clue as to how severe the injury is. We'll probably know better Wednesday.

I am no doctor but is a hip flexor injury all that big of a deal? I know football players play with these all of time.

Goon-

Then I stand corrected. However, be that as it may, I'd still rather have Jordy in nets. Even if it is Jordy on Friday and Phil on Saturday.

Actually, I think I agree with you, I want to see Jordy in net because I feel he is a better goalie than Phil. No offense to Phil. I would just like to see Jordy to focus on the game and stop worrying about Stoa and the extra bs and play hockey. I am not sure if you guys can remember Jordy's first season against the Dirty Gophers; but Jordy was out checking a Gopher player against the glass. Classic freshman type behavior, but now he is a JR and needs to be a leader not a thug.

First in Parise's defense (which I'm not accustomed to doing) Stoa is a monster. He's very hard to ignore.

He gave up two five hole goals in game 2 and one in game 1 along with another that he was lying on and slid into the net himself. He was NOT up to the Gophers that weekend.

I do NOT believe he's in the Karl class of goalies. He played VERY well last year from the Wisconsin series through the Championship, but before and since, in my view he's been good, at times great, and in the Minnesota series, mediocre at best.

(I'm still peed off about the Gophs series.)

Phil was the only reason the Sioux beat Bemidji State on the road so I would give him a little more credit than this. On average I would prefer Jordan because he is more consistantly on his game than Phil, but Phil has had three excellent games in his last four starts (BSU 2-1 Win, Harvard 1-0 Loss, AA 5-3 Loss, AA 5-0 Win). Other than the 5-3 AA game he has given up a total of 2 goals in the other three starts (79 saves).

Regardless of who is in goal the Sioux need to limit the Gophers to 30 shots or less. If they can do that I like their chances. We also need better goaltending then the first series, can't afford to let in any weak ones this time.

First in Parise's defense (which I'm not accustomed to doing) Stoa is a monster. He's very hard to ignore.

He gave up two five hole goals in game 2 and one in game 1 along with another that he was lying on and slid into the net himself. He was NOT up to the Gophers that weekend.

I do NOT believe he's in the Karl class of goalies. He played VERY well last year from the Wisconsin series through the Championship, but before and since, in my view he's been good, at times great, and in the Minnesota series, mediocre at best.

(I'm still peed off about the Gophs series.)

So am I.

Goon, I think I'm going to need a steady dose of your optimism this week! I could only make one game this year and fortunately it's Friday, which has been kind to us of late. First time I've made a game at Mariucci in a few years. I'm looking forward to it.