Bronze Medal Game

sprig

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sick of those Canadian fans also.

Does this mean when REA hosts the World Curling Championships, you guys will boo the Canadian curling team mercilessly?

All kidding aside, those meanies you are all sick of have made this the most profitabale world junior championship in tournament history. But I guess for the sake of manners, next year's event should be held in front of 17 people at some outdoor rink in Kazahkstan. :lol:

Don't have much interest in watching this one tonight. Hope the directtv schedule is right and we get the Russia/Canada game.

Jack Johnson's waving to the crowd at the end was priceless. This kid is going to be a good hockey player. He will also get some great coaching from Kevin McCarthy who is the defence coach for the Hurricanes. Good luck to Jack, he finished with a smile on his face despite the tough week.

All kidding aside, those meanies you are all sick of have made this the most profitabale world junior championship in tournament history. But I guess for the sake of manners, next year's event should be held in front of 17 people at some outdoor rink in Kazahkstan. :lol:

That's all well and good but the are still dicks. I'm not sure what making a bunch of money has to do with the fact that a good chunk of the Canadian fans at these games were buttheads.

Don't have much interest in watching this one tonight. Hope the directtv schedule is right and we get the Russia/Canada game.

CableOne (Fargo) is showing RUS-CAN also.

Here's hoping for that game.

I wonder how much of a factor fatigue was. I mentioned this after the first game vs. Norway when the top 2 lines were being double shifted. Then when they started to play more than two lines we had back to back games vs. the Swiss and then a tough game against Canada. One day of rest, then the Czek's. Followed by Russia. One more day of rest, then this latest debacle. That's alot of hockey in a short time folks. That's why I couldn't understand playing the horses so much against a team like Norway and not just rolling 4 lines so that everyone would get a little break during the game.

That's all well and good but the are still dicks.

Booing/"U.S. Sucks" = Disrespectful, buttheads, d---s, jerks.

"F--- You, Denver" and "(insert name) Sucks S---!" = "We swear because we care."

I guess I'm missing the consistency in the argument.

Edited by Canuck

"F--- You, Denver" and "(insert name) Sucks S---!" = "We swear because we care."

And since I don't partake in those cheers, your point is.....

Booing the US certainly doesn't make them jerks. What makes them jerks is their cheering when a USA player was taken down on an obviously penalty.

Does this mean when REA hosts the World Curling Championships, you guys will boo the Canadian curling team mercilessly?

Those "meanies" helped make Grand Forks and the REA quite successful last year as well. And, as for manners... Since when has that word been associated with hockey?

I didn't see any games, but it sounds like the USA pretty much laid a big ol' egg in this deal. Along with their lackluster performance overall, They certainly gave the anti-USA crowd more reason to get on them. When your play isn't up to expectations (yours or others), you have to keep your frustration from taking over. The game misconducts disappoint me in that I expect to see all USA sports ambassadors handle themselves better than anyone else in world competition. I hold the US to a higher standard.

Now, as for Canadian fans cheering this way or that. Who cares? They saw the US as their rival this year, and used the home arena to a big advantage. Makes sense to me. Now, once the US/Russia game was out of reach, I could have done without the USA sucks thing. Just seems cheap, easy. However, events like this build character, or at least scar tissue, for any athlete. What goes around comes around, and perhaps one day the US will be hoisting the Gold in front of those very same Canuck fans, stewing in their beer.

For now, I say Go Canada! Should be a great game this evening, with Toews getting a hat trick!

Please someone tell taz that Oshie is just fine.

Hey dick-weed, why don't you go on a "Canadian" message board, or don't they have that technology yet? FYI, I've never condoned any swearing the Sioux games, or any other venue. Harrassing a team is one thing, but the way Canadian fans have conducted themselves these past two years is inexcusible.

Hey dick-weed, why don't you go on a "Canadian" message board, or don't they have that technology yet? FYI, I've never condoned any swearing the Sioux games, or any other venue. Harrassing a team is one thing, but the way Canadian fans have conducted themselves these past two years is inexcusible.

This is a public forum buddy. No need to use this type of slander. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If you can't handle other people's posts, without going off the deep end, perhaps you shouldn't be posting.

Now, as for Canadian fans cheering this way or that. Who cares? They saw the US as their rival this year, and used the home arena to a big advantage. Makes sense to me. Now, once the US/Russia game was out of reach, I could have done without the USA sucks thing. Just seems cheap, easy. However, events like this build character, or at least scar tissue, for any athlete. What goes around comes around, and perhaps one day the US will be hoisting the Gold in front of those very same Canuck fans, stewing in their beer.

Agreed. As I stated before, the U.S. sucks probably crossed the line.

But I would honestly encourage anybody who was put off by the booing to view it as a compliment to the strides USA Hockey has taken. For years the U.S. wasn't even a blip on the radar at the World Junior - or any international hockey tournament.

I hope this doesn't come off as condescending, because I truly don't mean it that way, but 10 years ago the fans wouldn't even have wasted their energy booing the U.S. The fact that the home crowd would go to such lengths to boo the team viewed by many as the tournament favorite, that speaks volumes for the ground USA hockey has made in recent years.

If it wouldn't have been against the Russians, people wouldn't be anywhere near as upset about it. Cheering for the Russians though against anyone just seems unconscionable.

I understand, but understand, too, that must of the outcry on this forum began well before the semi-final game.

But you're right...I also told my buddy before the game it will seem strange hearing Canadian fans NOT booing the Russians. Personally, as a Canadian hockey fan I'd cheer neither and hope they pummel each other black and blue before the gold medal game.

To say Canada is classless and then turn around and call some of them dickweeds makes a whole heck of a lot of sense gents...geezus. :lol:

Who cares? The tourney is over for the US, only one game to go overall. Rise above and cheer on our neighbor, regardless of a few Vancouver fans who in no way represent the entire population of Canada.

Anything about TJ Oshie?? Hope its nothing too serious.... :)

This is a public forum buddy. No need to use this type of slander. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If you can't handle other people's posts, without going off the deep end, perhaps you shouldn't be posting.

Our lousy technology (i.e., high speed internet, microwave, satellite capabilities) has allowed us to follow the US team better than anybody south of the border (and I'm including feeds from US sources). You have never stepped across the border if you really think we don't have the technology up here to compete with anybody in the rest of the world.

And I will also remind you that a huge part of the Sioux teams are Canadian.

Yes the Vancouver fans were morons. So what! Like I said in another post, they hate everybody. Don't take it personally.

I hope this doesn't come off as condescending, because I truly don't mean it that way, but 10 years ago the fans wouldn't even have wasted their energy booing the U.S. The fact that the home crowd would go to such lengths to boo the team viewed by many as the tournament favorite, that speaks volumes for the ground USA hockey has made in recent years.

Equally true, is the fact that the vast, and I mean VAST, majority of folks in this big nation could give a rip about World Jr. Hockey-- even when the US actually medals. I believe it was Parise that likened their gold medal victory to that of the 1980 Olympic team beating the Soviets and most folks went "huh?". Save for that one incredible event, anything below the NHL is just not on the radar here. And an argument can be made to include the NHL itself in that obscure group.

This frustrates US hockey fans who love the sport so much. But, the reality is, this is an NFL, MLB, NBA, and NASCAR/INDY nation. Hockey? No. The lockout proved that. I think that is what makes the efforts of the USA WJ program so impressive. It has got to drive Canadians a little NUTS that a nation who could give a crap about a sport can actually generate good talent to compete in it. I think this might have been fuel for the Vancouver fans.

I agree with Canuck. This is Canada's game. The fans are absolutely beyond passionate. While unseemly to many, getting booed relentlessly in Vancouver is a badge of honor. Just too bad our boys couldn't walk out with earned respect and a medal.

Still, though, cheering for the Russians. Are they crazy up there??!! One might rue the day one cheers for that bunch. :lol:

taz

Last year, I had several (well, at least five) Canadian fans apologise to me for the conduct of the loud,drunk, "USA sucks" fans. They were really anxious that we (my little group) didn't think all Canadians felt like the loud, overpowering buffoons who were cheering against the USA.

But I have to say, I admired the fervor that those fans showed for their team, sans the profanity of course. (There are quite a few Goopher fans at the Final Five who wish my seats were elsewhere in the arena.)

The thing that I'm wondering about all of this cheering/not cheering one team or another is, who made up the rules about what is and is not acceptable. I mean, why does it matter if Canada's fans cheer for the US and vice versa, the whole thing seems rather silly.

Honestly I can give an flying F--- if Canada wins nor am I going to cheer for them @$$es. They so over played the Jack Johnson thing to stupidity, it was one play big hairy deal. As far as Canadian hockey fans go they are a bunch of pompus jerks, that think they are entitled to winning the Gold every year and that its their sport, blah, blah, blah, I am so sick and tired of listening to that Bu11 $#!t. Do I hate Canada as a country, no, I hate their soicalist ruling eliets that are lecturing the American about the War in Iraq. I care less what they think of us or Bush. This is where some of this crap is coming from.