SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs ECAC - Trivia

farce poobah

OK, I don't have any cool cards, but these are good for bragging rights:

When did UND last play Harvard, and what was the score?

(Extra points if you were there in person.)

March 26, 1987, in the NCAA tournament at Detroit in Joe Louis Arena. The Sioux won 5-2 and I wasn't there. :lol:

Edited by PCM

March 26, 1987, in the NCAA tournament. The Sioux won 5-2 and I wasn't there. :lol:

Bingo! Wasn't that game before you were born? :D

It was GLORIOUS ... of all the Frozen Four games I've ever seen, this was THE one that was never really in doubt... total command from the get go, and the Hrkac Circus rolled.

1983. The Sioux were robbed. Beat my team and lost to the cheese.

Bingo! 3/26/83. Cheeseheads 6, CEO's 2.

And a bunch of cheeseheads doing a dying cockroach on the ice after the game was over, while the UW band played on ... eeeewwwww!

3/25/83 Harvard 5, MN 3. (weird game, it was like somebody switched jerseys or something)

OK, a hint. Harvard played in the old Winter Sports Building against ...

Winter Sports Building? Wasn't that the name for the old barn? Thought the old REA was always called the REA?

Too late to answer but I was there in person. What an empty building for the MN/Providence third place game.

UND has not lost to an EZAC team for a long time. I mean its like 15-20 I believe.

Last loss was to RPI in the 84-85 season, the Adam Oates team that went like 34-2-1 and won the NCAA title. The win streak is pushing 50 games and includes almost every league team except I Colgate, Union and now Quinnipiac (I think we also played Army once and Vermont a couple of times while they were still in the ECAC). All-time, the Sioux are something like 80-5 against current ECAC teams.

Last loss was to RPI in the 84-85 season, the Adam Oates team that went like 34-2-1 and won the NCAA title. The win streak is pushing 50 games and includes almost every league team except I Colgate, Union and now Quinnipiac (I think we also played Army once and Vermont a couple of times while they were still in the ECAC). All-time, the Sioux are something like 80-5 against current ECAC teams.

I suppose one could say that this isn't the year to lose that long streak. I think UND can keep it going if they play like a team and focus on getting the puck out the defensive zone and keep the puck in the Crimson zone most of the game. I would bet money that they don't have a line like Stafford, Zajac and Spirko.

Pretty good.

Last loss was to Renselaer fka RPI, November 24, 1984 an 8 to 2 crunching in GF. It was not pretty. It was also clear that RPI team was not your average ECAC team.

They were also on a mission of revenge, losing to UND (in NY) the previous March in the NCAA quarterfinals, where Jon Casey saved over 100 shots in a 2-game total-goals series.

The winning streak is not quite 50, though. Per an older UND media guide, I count 24 25:

11/23/1984 RPI 7 6

11/24/1984 RPI 2 8

11/30/1986 Yale 6 4

3/20/1987 St Lawr 3 1

3/21/1987 St Lawr 6 3

3/26/1987 Harvard 5 2

1/12/1990 RPI 2 1

1/13/1990 RPI 5 3

12/19/1995 Dartmouth 8 2

12/20/1995 Dartmouth 6 3

3/23/1997 Cornell 6 2

12/27/1997 Cornell 5 1

11/6/1998 Clarkson 6 2

11/7/1998 Clarkson 5 1

10/29/1999 at Clarkson 4 1

10/30/1999 at Clarkson 6 5

11/27/1999 vs Vermont 8 0

11/24/2000 St Lawrence 6 1

11/25/2000 St Lawrence 4 2

12/30/2000 Princeton 5 4

12/14/2001 at St Lawrence 2 1

12/15/2001 at St Lawrence 5 2

11/1/2002 at Princeton 5 2

11/2/2002 at Yale 7 3

12/27/2002 Brown 5 2 (EDIT/ADDition)

10/31/2003 Yale 8 4

11/1/2003 Yale 10 0

The former REA was the Winter Sports Center when I attended UND in the mid 80s then Ralph made a major donation and the name changed.

You are right and I was wrong ... it was the Winter Sports Center, from the 70's until mid-80's. (Geez I spent hours and hours outside that rusty old thing and I get the name wrong.)

Pretty good.

Last loss was to Renselaer fka RPI, November 24, 1984 an 8 to 2 crunching in GF. It was not pretty. It was also clear that RPI team was not your average ECAC team.

They were also on a mission of revenge, losing to UND (in NY) the previous March in the NCAA quarterfinals, where Jon Casey saved over 100 shots in a 2-game total-goals series.

The winning streak is not quite 50, though. Per an older UND media guide, I count 24:

Thanks for verifying. Upon reflection, I think 50 wins is close to UND's total vs. ECAC. Memory is a little foggy, but I knew that the last loss was to RPI. That was the last year before the Hockey East broke off.

One more thing about that RPI weekend (I was also in attendance, Farce). That was a two-game set. The other game was won by UND 7-6 in OT, and it was RPI's last loss of the season. Thanksgiving is pretty early to have your last loss of the year. Chris Jensen scored the game winner on a Bobby Orr-style "flying through the air like Superman" goal, as he lunged for a rebound. I can still picture him suspended in the air as the puck went in, then falling to the ice on his stomach and bouncing right back to his feet to celebrate. An early Sioux hockey moment for me, from a great college player in Jensen.

One more thing about that RPI weekend (I was also in attendance, Farce). That was a two-game set. The other game was won by UND 7-6 in OT, and it was RPI's last loss of the season. Thanksgiving is pretty early to have your last loss of the year. Chris Jensen scored the game winner on a Bobby Orr-style "flying through the air like Superman" goal, as he lunged for a rebound. I can still picture him suspended in the air as the puck went in, then falling to the ice on his stomach and bouncing right back to his feet to celebrate. An early Sioux hockey moment for me, from a great college player in Jensen.

Holy Smokes. I remember going to a lot of games at that time, but I'd be hard pressed to remember very many details.