SiouxSports.com Forum

World Junior Tourney...oshie, lee, chorney, toews

AZSIOUX

Well, OK, bearman. You being in the know, then. Explain why in a lopsided game you don't roll 4 lines, instead of your "big line" out there for most of the second period. And as I said, if he puts up points like that against a quality squad like Team Canada, it won't be just grandstanding the next golden child.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, OK, bearman. You being in the know, then. Explain why in a lopsided game you don't roll 4 lines, instead of your "big line" out there for most of the second period. And as I said, if he puts up points like that against a quality squad like Team Canada, it won't be just grandstanding the next golden child.

I didn't realize I'd get your panties in a bundle.

I thought hockey was a team game ? Kessel is on a line with 2 other guys. Maybe they are trying to build chemistry ? After all, isnt he the source of bad chemistry ?

So are you happy or mad that Kessel may help the USA bring home the gold ?

Let's go check some other WCHA teams website and see if their bashing Toews for not scoring any points the other night ? Sounds stupid doesn't it ?

As a SIOUX FAN, I find this dribble about Kessel tiresome.

Isn't it nice that even when the USA pounds a team, people still find things to complain about? I myself couldn't give a crap less if Kessel got a whole bunch of points against a creampuff. He's a helluva player and some people are giving him way too much grief just because he normally wears an M. He may be a "bad guy" most of the year, but having Kessel on this team is what makes the USA the favorites whether people here like it or not. I myself am pretty happy about it. Kessel deserves credit for every point he got whether it be against a crappy team or not. What was he supposed to do? Refuse to go on the ice when his line was up? If anyone deserves crap, it's Walt Kyle for playing Kessel and Borque so much. But even that is questionable.

If it had been The Oshie with the 5 assists setting up Borque, people would be ranting and raving about how great he was and how he was better then Kessel. No one would be complaining about the amount of time he was on the ice either.

The bad chemistry is between kessel and skille. ;) My whole point here is this. I'm glad to see phil got five assists, it shows his ability to distribute the puck to teammates. But, Norway is not a quality team. Your superstars should have a heyday. Now if phil continues to excel, great. I just feel that when you are in a lopsided game and your big gun is being double shifted, and put in the game with only little time left, and you are on the power play, it looks like you are trying to pad numbers. Like AZSioux said go Team USA, I hope more than anyone they bring home the gold.

The bad chemistry is between kessel and skille. ;) My whole point here is this. I'm glad to see phil got five assists, it shows his ability to distribute the puck to teammates. But, Norway is not a quality team. Your superstars should have a heyday. Now if phil continues to excel, great. I just feel that when you are in a lopsided game and your big gun is being double shifted, and put in the game with only little time left, and you are on the power play, it looks like you are trying to pad numbers. Like AZSioux said go Team USA, I hope more than anyone they bring home the gold.

Did you see/listen to the game (I didn't)? If not, where did you find ice time numbers (I haven't been able to find them)? As far as PP time goes, these guys haven't spent a lot time playing w/ each other, and have to make the most of what opportunities they have, in hopes they can gel when team chemistry IS needed.

Isn't it nice that even when the USA pounds a team, people still find things to complain about? I myself couldn't give a crap less if Kessel got a whole bunch of points against a creampuff. He's a helluva player and some people are giving him way too much grief just because he normally wears an M. He may be a "bad guy" most of the year, but having Kessel on this team is what makes the USA the favorites whether people here like it or not. I myself am pretty happy about it. Kessel deserves credit for every point he got whether it be against a crappy team or not. What was he supposed to do? Refuse to go on the ice when his line was up? If anyone deserves crap, it's Walt Kyle for playing Kessel and Borque so much. But even that is questionable.

If it had been The Oshie with the 5 assists setting up Borque, people would be ranting and raving about how great he was and how he was better then Kessel. No one would be complaining about the amount of time he was on the ice either.

VERY GOOD points Diggler.

The infatuation with Kessel is mind-boggling around here.

The reason he played a lot is because the coach's wanted him to, not b/c he just kept going out there to pad stats.

Remember that goal differencial is a tie-breaker in this tournament and it was pretty clear the top line was dominating. USA Hockey would get ripped to no end if they got hurt later on in the tournament by goal differencial if they had Kessel riding the pine in the third period of a blowout game.

OK, folks this is simple math here. There are two sides to a battery, positive and negative. There is good and bad. Dark and light. In our world one does not exist without the other. When people come on here and start talking about what a wonderful performance kessel had against Norway, the subjact has already been brought up. No infactuation here, just presenting the other side AS I SEE IT. What I say is nowhere near gospel, it is what I think based upon seeing him play. As far as the game the other night, I know several people in attendance in Vancouver. I am glad the US won, and won big. I hope they steamroll everyone and bring home the gold. Does that mean I have to like kessel and speak highly of him ? I would say not. I love the Buffalo Sabres, but does that mean I'm a Vanek fan. No. But it doesn't mean I'm going to give up on my beloved Sabres. See the point. It's like loving your job but maybe not liking ALL of the people you work with, your job can still be satisfying. I could really care less how phil does, and I have a hard time buying into the "as phil goes, so goes Team USA" theory. I think the team is loaded with talent. But that is what is great about a message board, you can post your OPINION, and that's all it is is my opinion, don't take it to heart so much.

Edited by THETRIOUXPER

Did anyone see the replay of TJ's goal against Norway and wonder where Aaron Marvin was? TJ's face-off win was pretty much identical to the one in OT against Totino Grace, except this time he shot instead of shoveling it over to Marvin. The other difference is that Totino might have been a tougher opponent than Norway. I can't wait for the NYE game against Canada.

You're right jk, it was very similar. It would be nice to see Oshie to Marvin for the OT win in a national title game. But a couple things need to happen first. Like Marvin needs to come here and TJ needs to stick around for a while. I think the odds of Marvin coming here are better than TJ being here that long.

OK, folks this is simple math here. There are two sides to a battery, positive and negative. There is good and bad. Dark and light. In our world one does not exist without the other. When people come on here and start talking about what a wonderful performance kessel had against Norway, the subjact has already been brought up. No infactuation here, just presenting the other side AS I SEE IT.

I will note that in a rare showing of restraint you didn't accuse Kessel of putting himself out on the ice to pad his stats (and I commend you for taking this bold step), you actually took it further and accused USA Hockey of conspiring to pad his stats to ensure he is made the #1 pick in the next draft, as if the hundreds of scouts in attendance are going to ingore what they see on the ice and simply draft off the stat sheets from the tournament.

I don't know why it is so hard for you to comprehend that kessel is not and will not ever be a player that I really give a damn about. What is so wrong with that, quit trying to shove him down everyone's throat already. Again, if you don't like MY negative perspective of phil, just ignore it, it is simply my opinion. This board is full of peoples opinions. I don't know why this topic is so much more sensitive for some of you. Maybe the truth hurts? I don't know.

I will note that in a rare showing of restraint you didn't accuse Kessel of putting himself out on the ice to pad his stats (and I commend you for taking this bold step), you actually took it further and accused USA Hockey of conspiring to pad his stats to ensure he is made the #1 pick in the next draft, as if the hundreds of scouts in attendance are going to ingore what they see on the ice and simply draft off the stat sheets from the tournament.

the whole damn team is great, this should be a fun group to watch this next 2 weeks and i hope they can live up to the hype and go for the gold again...tonights game should be a better measuring stick...

the whole damn team is great, this should be a fun group to watch this next 2 weeks and i hope they can live up to the hype and go for the gold again...tonights game should be a better measuring stick...

TJ Oshie's comment in the article you posted earlier was right on. Egos of team members will play a big role, as well as players accepting their roles. If everyone tries to be a superstar, the US will struggle in the latter parts of this tournament. As you said, tonight's game should be a better test for our team. I'm still skeptical of our goaltending, but we'll see how that goes tonight as well. Go USA!

If he played for UND would you care about him?

hey slap shot, i respect your opinions and thoughts as much as the next fan on this board but do you really need to copy and paste posts from here and put them on GPL?? sounds like your taking this a bit to serious...GPL is for gophs fans and SS is made for sioux fans so comments may not be to your liking if your a opposing fan of a player

as for this instence GO USA...................whoever scores is fine with me ;):D

ps..you refer to SS as KESSEL.COM...maybe you were not around or maybe you were when POI was up and running as the main gophs hockey outlet..i believe POI stood for PARISE ON ICE if i did not know better because this is not even close to that circus show that was going on on PIO...

Kessel, Oshie, Skille and others are all great talents and this should lead the USA to a gold medal game...how do you like them apples ;)

TJ Oshie's comment in the article you posted earlier was right on. Egos of team members will play a big role, as well as players accepting their roles. If everyone tries to be a superstar, the US will struggle in the latter parts of this tournament. As you said, tonight's game should be a better test for our team. I'm still skeptical of our goaltending, but we'll see how that goes tonight as well. Go USA!

i say the only weakness if thats what you want to call it is goaltending...both of these goalies are good but not great to me. they are still very young and i understand that but schneider did not show much last wjt when given a chance but may turn into a great goalie down the road at BC.frazee has not yet been given a lot of chances for the gophs but when i have seen him he has been ok. they may need to score 4-6 goals vs stronger teams to win this tourney..if thats the case then oh well, it works for me as long as you have more goals than the opposing team ;)

If Kessel hadn't had a good game against Norway, the anti-Kessel forces would say it proves that he's not that good. But because he had a good game against Norway, the anti-Kessel forces say that it proves how bad the Norwegians are.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Good players expose the weaknesses of bad teams. Good players should have good games against bad teams.

The real challenges lie ahead. Great players step up and produce in big games. One game against a bad team isn't much of a test.

Let's see where Team USA ends up in the tournament, who produces in tough situations and who disappears. That will prove something.

Thanks AZ. I'm surprised slappy even had the know how to do that. Thanks for sharing MY OPINIONS with your goohper faithful. That was nice of you. Cardinal, keesel does not play for UND, so the point is kind of moot I guess. I'm glad he is on Team USA. I think they have many fine players, but as I have said I don't buy into the "as phil goes, so goes Team USA" theory. If a Sioux fan does not care for phil why does that bother you guys so much, big deal. Do you think I care what any of you guys think of Toews, or Lee, or Oshie ? No, I don't. Because I am smart enough to realize that these are things that are part of a rivalry. That's all. I don't have hatred toward phil as a person, just as a player I don't care for him. Please get over it. By the way, slappy, does your high school stiLL require you to attend cheerleader practice during the holidays, or do you get a well deserved break. ? Did you write any special world Junior cheers for phil during your break.

Edited by THETRIOUXPER

I could care less if you care about him or not, but it seems silly that a college hockey fan wouldn't care about someone of Kessel's stature. Same would be true if a Gopher fan posted on GPL saying they didn't care about Toews.

It all goes back to the "halo theory" when it comes to this site though.

Please read this very carefully. It's the umteenth time I have said this now. I'm glad he is part of the US team. Personally I am not a fan. How much more clear do I have to be to you guys ? Why do I have to be fan fan of kessel's to be a college hockey fan. Who in the hell ever established that criteria ?