SiouxSports.com Forum

Friday night observations

redarmy

Anger isn't an excuse, either. I think it show truly good sportsmanship if we could show enthusiasm without the swearing.

My point in bringing up anger in the student section is that a FU [school] cheer is not likely to happen again because there won't be anywhere near the anger there was for DU.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the Friday night game against Denver and had not attended a game at the Ralph for a while. To me it seemed the only people into the game were the students. If everyone was into the game like the students that place would be unbelievably intimidating. I realize this is probably unrealistic but the contrast between the sections clearly stuck out to me. The only real cheering from the other sections is after a goal is scored and even then it is for a very short period. I remember at the old Ralph when the students had the whole side of the arena that the noise in the building really was cranked up. I just wish the non-student spectators would get more involved in the game and we would have a much better home ice advantage.

It simply isn't possible to compare the two buildings. The old REA was concrete and steel. Great material for getting sound to reverberate and grow. There is nothing there to absorb the sound and deaden it. In the new REA, there are sound absorbing panels in the ceiling around the edge. We have nice soft chairs, very little bare concrete or other hard surfaces with which to reflect sound. The new REA will never ever have the sound of the old REA, even if all seats were filled with screaming students.

Having said that, it sure is possible to improve on what is there for fan involvement and enthusiasm in the new REA. And I would whole-heartedly support clever chants over profane chants. Maybe we need to start a creativity movement on ss.com to develop some new ones, say pseudo-cheerleader board. ???

How can I bring my kids to the game if all they hear from the student section in profanity. Something must be done. Any Ideas?

My idea is to educate your kid. Teach your kid that vulgarity and profanity are just words. They mean nothing unless you put a meaning to them. How much worse is "who he he sucks Sh*t" compared to "I hate that Dang cock sucker mother." Are they both profanity?? What is profanity? Is it the seven dirty words you can't say on TV during certain times of day when children might be watching or is "Profanity" simply word usage that its audience considers to be offensive. It is very discretionary. Somesay the "F" word wasn't meant to be offensive and wasn't considered that way until the late 17th century when it meant "to strike" or "to penetrate" (get it ??? ).

My point in bringing up anger in the student section is that a FU [school] cheer is not likely to happen again because there won't be anywhere near the anger there was for DU.

I understand your point. I still don't feel that it is a valid excuse. Of the hundreds of fans there, I would think that someone could come up with something a little more clever, a little cleaner, and something that actually had a point. A person tends to end an argument with "FU" when they can't think of anything better to say. I think it gives people a reason to think of us (the school, the fans, etc.) as boorish, stupid, and unoriginal.

And please don't get me wrong, I think the enthusiastic fans are great. I like to watch and listen to them almost as much of the hockey game. I just disagree on the use of vulgarity.

I love the enthusiasm of the students. I truly wish it would spread to the rest of the arena. Also, whoever said it is correct, that not all swearing comes from the student section, but my point still applies. I apologize for "blaming" only the students.

Agreed, some of the swearing comes from me.

Yes, I have a potty mouth. I am the girl whose father got tickets in the next section when we met up in Wisconsin because he didn't want to be associated with what I might say (although I was pretty restrained that game, since we won.) I even had a little problem with swearing on this here message board when I first started posting.

I'm not that bad anymore, but I have plenty of insight into the mind of a foul-mouthed fan. Well, one kind of foul-mouthed fan. I can't claim to understand the crabby old fans that curse at the refs, but they're old, so what can you do? But I guess I didn't really care what other people around me thought. Like, anyone who would be offended by swearing was a huge loser and totally lame. Sadly, the only real cure for this is getting older and wiser. And sober.

It simply isn't possible to compare the two buildings. The old REA was concrete and steel. Great material for getting sound to reverberate and grow. There is nothing there to absorb the sound and deaden it. In the new REA, there are sound absorbing panels in the ceiling around the edge. We have nice soft chairs, very little bare concrete or other hard surfaces with which to reflect sound. The new REA will never ever have the sound of the old REA, even if all seats were filled with screaming students.

Having said that, it sure is possible to improve on what is there for fan involvement and enthusiasm in the new REA. And I would whole-heartedly support clever chants over profane chants. Maybe we need to start a creativity movement on ss.com to develop some new ones, say pseudo-cheerleader board. ???

The other difference between the 2 buildings is the volume of space. It takes a lot more noise to fill the new REA than the old building.

I always thought that it would take a few years for the atmosphere to develop in the new REA. You have a lot of people attending games that were not used to going to sporting events. Many of these were the ones that showed up just because it was fashionable. Some are learning the game and adjusting. Some are being replaced because it isn't as much fun as they thought it was going to be. The crowd will develop its own identity.

But as much as people complain about the crowd not getting into games, I don't know if outsiders see it the same way. IIRC many opposing teams have said that the new REA is one of the most difficult places to play, and also one of the most fun because of the crowd and the atmosphere. I think we have a pretty good thing going that will only get better. We just need to keep working to get everyone, students and otherwise, on the same page.

I think having the band in the lower bowl is a great idea and will add to the enviornment of the arena in a positive manner. In fact I think the arena is louder this season because of it. I hope we can only get the place louder and keep the positive energy going as a result of this change. I commented to my wife that I like it being where you can now see the band and some of the antics of the band it also adds to the enviornment. I hated having them shoved back in the corner of the arena where you could barely hear them or see them. The one kid with the bell is funny. In one instance he was playing his bell and broke his stick it was funnier than heck.

I am so sick about hearing that the only real fans are the students. I stand, I yell, I cheer, I insult the refs, and there are plenty of people around me who do the same. When the score was tied at 2-2 we were all standing. Where are you looking!? I'm in section 113. Don't tell me that the arena would be dead without the students. That's BS! Granted they're louder and more visible because they're together, they are not the only ones cheering. My voice is hoarse until Wednesday after a weekend of Hockey and Football. While I admit that a lot of people don't seem to get into the game as much as others, the students are NOT the only ones cheering, jumping up and down, and really getting into the game. I don't leave my seat until JPar is off the ice and if you look around alot of season ticket holders don't leave until then either.

Ok, I'm done.

"We had to deal with a lot of injuries and battle through the adversity of playing here in North Dakota in one of the toughest rinks in the nation against one of the toughest teams in the nation." - Gabe Gauthier

How is it that the players and coaches of opposing teams always consider The Ralph a more difficult place to play and win than Sioux fans do? :D:silly:

How is it that the players and coaches of opposing teams always consider The Ralph a more difficult place to play and win than Sioux fans do? ???:D

Maybe it could be:

1. What has been going on with the students vs. administration, students vs. General public, etc. affects it?

2. Maybe with our young team we don't want to drown in the hype and platitudes the opposing teams and players thrust on us to save us from being like many Gopher fans (I mean, on USCHO 4four4 claimed that the only reason why the Gophers don't have more NCs than the Sioux is because of some "bad bounces." Good grief! :silly: Well, at least by that logic we can take solace in the fact that, if it weren't for a few bad bounces, we'd have 10 NCs right now and have won 2 back to back titles in the past 5 years (2000 & 2001, 2004&2005)).

Maybe a combo of both.

Maybe it could be:

1. What has been going on with the students vs. administration, students vs. General public, etc. affects it?

And that's the point. The other teams don't know about any of that stuff, nor do they care. All they see and hear is the atmosphere once they get here and how it compares to other arenas in which they play. They know that UND always has a terrific fan turnout. But we sit here and complain about the building and point fingers at each other about who's cheering and who's not, as if it makes one bit of difference to the opposition. It doesn't.

But think if other people did cheer! :silly: It would make it even tougher for teams to come into REA.

I think it's just frustrating to a lot of students, and other people for that matter, that there seem to be a lot of people, many of them students, who come to the games and pick their noses instead of paying attention or caring about the game. We can't do anything about it really; we can't force these people to care about the games, so we complain here.

I sit in section 101 and/or 102 and I know that I'm always being questioned about what the students are saying. Especially the Sioux yeah yeah cheer. I love when they do that cheer but it seems only the students have it figured out. So to help out the people across the hall, why doesn't someone make the sign that says what you are yelling and then more people will respond. Not saying it needs to be brought to every game, but until everyone gets the hang of it! How long has it taken the senior section to catch on to the "No beer" song!!! lol There is nothing better than hearing everyone yelling together (like in Columbus) rather than just one section.

So, here is your chance. What is the yeah yeah cheer? I was up for the Denver series and never could figure it out from section 302.

Go Sioux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SOmeone yells "SIOUX YEAH YEAH!!!!"

And the crowd replies "YEAH SIOUX SIOUX!"

The only thing I've never understood is when to start the chant. I've started it twice before and once I was told that it was the wrong time.

SOmeone yells "SIOUX YEAH YEAH!!!!"

And the crowd replies "YEAH SIOUX SIOUX!"

The only thing I've never understood is when to start the chant. I've started it twice before and once I was told that it was the wrong time.

I've got that one beat. During the playoffs with Duluth last year, I tried to start to start it but got no response. You could actually hear the crickets chirping outside. Not 60 seconds later, someone else started it and got a roaring response. A friend of mine gives me crap about it still.

I feel so dorky and useless.

As a former band member who was up in the corner for those years, I'm really happy that the band has its due now and is in with the students where we belong.

And now as a fan its time to put the band in the lower bowl. I can't understand the logic of why there were over there up in the nose bleeds.

Maybe it could be:

2. Maybe with our young team we don't want to drown in the hype and platitudes the opposing teams and players thrust on us to save us from being like many Gopher fans (I mean, on USCHO 4four4 claimed that the only reason why the Gophers don't have more NCs than the Sioux is because of some "bad bounces." Good grief! :silly: Well, at least by that logic we can take solace in the fact that, if it weren't for a few bad bounces, we'd have 10 NCs right now and have won 2 back to back titles in the past 5 years (2000 & 2001, 2004&2005)).

Maybe a combo of both.

Thats classic. But Its actually how I had come up with my Gopher=entitlement hockey.

Damn Sioux ruin everything. Now that we have one of the youngest teams, what are they going to say

25 year old, nah wait a minute. 17 old Candians.