SiouxSports.com Forum

Hobey Baker Memorial Award

LB#11

It's hard to believe with all the talented players that have went through UND that only Tony Hrkac in 1987 has won the Hobey Baker. Even Lucia would have had a tough time denying Tony the Hobey that season considering he scored 116 points. With some very talented players on this years team you would think there is a very good possibility that in the next 2-3 years that someone could win.

It's hard to believe with all the talented players that have went through UND that only Tony Hrkac in 1987 has won the Hobey Baker.  Even Lucia would have had a tough time denying Tony the Hobey that season considering he scored 116 points.  With some very talented players on this years team you would think there is a very good possibility that in the next 2-3 years that someone could win.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hrkac would get Lucia's support as long as he didn't change his name to Panzer...

Will a Sioux player ever again win the Hobey Baker? yes, because the Sioux recruit the top players in the country. However, UND needs to keep these elite players, like the Zach Parises, around for more than 2 years. It's hard to see a freshman winning the award unless they are from Minnesota or out east. If a player does have a great freshman year the odds of him duplicating that season are small so UND must find a way to keep these players.

It's hard to see a freshman winning the award unless they are from Minnesota or out east. If a player does have a great freshman year the odds of him duplicating that season are small so UND must find a way to keep these players.

How many freshman from Minnesota have ever won the Hobey Baker? Zero. Ryan Miller won the award as a sophomore. I guess that counts as "out east" on your map, but he still wasn't a freshman. A freshman winning the award is rare enough (Paul Kariya, Maine, 1993), but saying the system is biased in favor of the Gophers and "out east" is rather silly when you look at the winners of the past few years:

Marty Sertich (CC), Junior Lessard (UMD), Peter Sejna (CC), Jordan Leopold (Minnesota), Ryan Miller (Michigan State)

I'm with those of you who feel Jeff Panzer was robbed in 2001. There is no question about that. Funny, though, because Mike Mottau from BC won the award in 2000 when most people (including me) felt Steve Reinprecht (Wisconsin) was a slam-dunk for the award.

One might look at the list of Hobey winners and say "hmnn...the system is biased against Lake Superior State, Colgate, RPI, and Northeastern, too", but it's not.

Frankly, I think the fact that the last four winners are from the WCHA speaks volumes. It's the best conference in the country.

• 1 month later...
Please. Lots of guys can play defense, but few can score. The Gophers have many problems, Kessel is not anywhere near the top of that list.
If you can call a press conference ---someone might believe that

:0

You poor guys sure hyped the Kid as the savior of Goopher hockey - now he is not on top of the list as the problem ;)

We will see if Kessel is ready for the Big Time this weekend

You poor guys sure hyped the Kid as the savior of Goopher hockey - now he is not on top of the list as the problem ;)

We will see if Kessel is ready for the Big Time this weekend

The Gophers haven't needed saving last I checked. (Maybe a goalie who saves) Only Parise was a savior. The last time the Gophers were saved it was by Pohl/Leopold/Lucia/Potulny/Taffe/etc... in some order.

Please. Lots of guys can play defense, but few can score. The Gophers have many problems, Kessel is not anywhere near the top of that list.

I agree, I Kessel is the man, an incredible talent and I am glad we get to see him in the WCHA. I expect him to be fired up after being useless against Wisconsin.

By the end ofthis year Zajac and maybe Parise will be in the running.

I wouldn't count on Parise being in the running. In it's illustrious history, only 4 goaltenders from the WCHA have ever made it into the 10 finalist list, with Stauber being the only WCHA goalie to win it. Where Parise has most likely been the most valuable player thus far from the Sioux, I don't expect him to be anywhere in the running for the award unless his numbers improve, and unfortunately, with the youth we have on this team, that probably won't happen.

Panzer and Z.Parise were robbed from this award!!! Lessard's playing where? Oh yeah, Iowa.

I believe spirko is the most likely Sioux player to win the hobey. Like Panzer he dominates play and looks very likely to play all four years. I don't know where he's drafted (if at all) but not being a first rounder should mean playing through his senior year.

Spirko for hobey 2008!

Does anyone know if he's drafted and where?

Panzer and Z.Parise were robbed from this award!!! Lessard's playing where? Oh yeah, Iowa.

Ryan Miller was playing regularly for the Buffalo Sabres and had a 6-4-0 record before being injured last month. Jeff Panzer is playing in Switzerland.

What's that tell us about who was robbed? ;)