SiouxSports.com Forum

Game Thread

Siouxdonyms

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the Gopher Post Game Show (unfortunatly) but I got to see a few highlights... the goals looked good. Man... they need to get a new annoucer though. He was like "the final in that one is 2-1" and the analysts with him looks at him and goes "actually the statistic said 3-2" It was pretty funny.

Ok, my thoughts as per my biased, non psuedo-reporting (not to be confused with the likes of mikejm or PCM) mind:

Powerplay: For the first two periods, it seemed like all we were doing was cycling along the boards. I don't know if this is necessarily bad, but with a big sheet of ice, isn't that kinda counterproductive? These were few and far between thanks to UNH's disciplined play. We gotta make them count. Especially since UNH's powerplay was a ton better than ours. Thanks to some good positioning, JPar, and luck, UNH didn't capitalize on many of them.

Penalties: WOW, some of the penalties we took were flat out AWFUL. I hate bringing this up EVERY single game, but Zach Jones HAS TO HAS TO HAS TO be more disciplined. Admittedly, today wasn't as bad as other days, but that contact to the head roughing call was VERY unnecessary. Watkins penalty was just BAD and so was Foyt's. CSTV said Stafford's penalty was a "good" penalty (what the heck does that mean? Never heard of a "good" penalty before), but to me, it looked like he didn't have to take down his man. I THINK there is one penalty I missed that wasn't good either. Oh, before anyone asks: WCHA needs to get Gravelese (I know I'm spelling his name wrong). IMO, he is head and shoulders better than 90 percent of the WCHA refs.

Defense: Very impressed otherwise. I really like how Lee and Chorney are all over the place. Radke looked ok. Finley... made one mistake but otherwise played REALLY REALLY well. And I think it's nice to see him take a few shots on goal.

Goaltending: JPar was in goal. Uh... I don't know what else to say. JPar. Period. The End.

Forwards: Grinder line was WONDERFUL tonight. Porter did an excellent job on the forecheck as well as in the offensive zone. Oshie: STUD. Toews: STUD. Zajac and Stafford on the PK: OH MY FREAKING GOD.

CSTV said that some UNH player's deke around Finley was the play of the game, in typical eastern biased fashion (ala Farkas on Goehring.. nice deke, glove save), but really, it was Zajac's pass to Stafford who scores. A thing of beauty.

I really think, despite what PCM says, that this team doesn't fare well on Olympic ice. We really had to work hard for this win and really, Oshie and Toew's goals are more of the fluke variety. Though, it was fun to watch two UNH players knock each other out of the play without a Sioux player involved at all. :)

Miscellaneous notes: Gravalese was very nice to JPar and the Sioux on the equipment problem. If he didn't expand the rule book there, he should have forced UND to call a timeout. He gave JPar a REALLY long time.

Dick Umile's comments were classy pregame.

Javis (or whomever it is) has eyebrows that NEVER quit! Holy cow! Dude, seriously, shave that.

JPar is named, once again, the younger brother of Zach :D

Impressed that the CSTV announcers didn't mispronounce any of the names (except Petrisiak became Petrajelo for a split second)

My biggest worry is energy and conditioning for tommorow. We REALLY worked hard tonight.

very solid road win tonight. great to see the frosh step again!! overall solid performance. cant wait for tomorrow's game. i think zajac gets 1 or 2............

this has probably been posted already but in case it has not it looks like the saturday game will be on webcast through UNH.....

http://www.nhptv.org/product/hockey/hockey.htm

I really think, despite what PCM says, that this team doesn't fare well on Olympic ice.  We really had to work hard for this win and really, Oshie and Toew's goals are more of the fluke variety.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only time we looked bad on the big ice was when we played poorly in the second half of the first period and most of the second period. That had more to do with too many players standing around than it did with the size of the rink.

In the third period, the Sioux totally outplayed and dominated UNH, which is when you'd think the Wildcats could use the big sheet more to their advantage. But they didn't. Thus, once again, I don't buy the idea that UND is at a disadvantage on the "big ice."

And Oshie's and Toews' goals were of the "fluke variety"? I've seen some flukey goals and neither of those were even close to qualifying.

And Oshie's and Toews' goals were of the "fluke variety"? I've seen some flukey goals and neither of those were even close to qualifying.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oshie found a loose puck in heavy traffic at the corner of the net and tapped it in. The Toews goal was set up by a great play by Lee. Toews showed his major league hands (I bet the scouts noticed). The game winner was 4 on 4 with four freshmen skating for the Sioux. :)

Oshie, Toews, Lee, and Chorney were each +2 for the game.

Something that hasn't been said yet is one of the BIG reasons that UND scored goals tonight...

Somebody went to the net!!!!

Goal 1: Oshie went through many people to find that puck, no matter what happened for UNH, TJ should never have had that chance.

Goal 2: Zajac used GREAT speed to extend both defenders and back them up, allowing Stafford to take the drop pass and dance to the keeper's left and get him down for the easy put-in

Goal 3: Lee charged in against the goalie drawing both D men with him, which allowed Toews to sneak in (uncovered) for the point blank shot.

Those are my stars of the game consequently. OH YEAH! JPAR is a STUD!

watched it on cstv.

1st sioux game for me this year.

We looked better than I expected, I really like the freshman.

This team has alot of skill, once they mature a bit... look out

Watching some of the "D" miscues reminds me how spoiled we were last year, that "D" was flat out punishing.

anyway nice win against a quality team in unh. We gotta stay out of the box though.

Another couple comments not really game related...

I was going ADD at Senser's tonight. They changed that place A TON since I was there last. There are many more big screens, and the place is more open to see them. GREAT JOB! Be sure to take that in if you can't make a game.

Also, FOR ALL YOU STAT HOUNDS...what is UND's record in CSTV televised games? I seem to recall quite the good record. Kudos to the person who finds the answer.

Another couple comments not really game related...

I was going ADD at Senser's tonight.  They changed that place A TON since I was there last.  There are many more big screens, and the place is more open to see them.  GREAT JOB!  Be sure to take that in if you can't make a game.

Also, FOR ALL YOU STAT HOUNDS...what is UND's record in CSTV televised games?  I seem to recall quite the good record.  Kudos to the person who finds the answer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1-0 this season. :D Your welcome in advance and owe me a beer for my hard work... :)

Awesome answer, but unfortunately not what the judges were looking for.

Seriously, though....only regular season matchups, I want to say UND is undefeated on CSTV. I am probably wrong, but let's see...

BC at UND 6-3 W

UM at UND 7-2 W (a guess)

UND at Maine 4-3 W

UND at UNH 3-2 W

What else? It's impressive none the less...I've got a cookie... :)

After getting home from the game the couple of thoughts I had are:

1) Stafford's goal was great, he just waited, waited, waited, and then put the puck in the net.

2) Brian Lee did an excellent job getting the puck to Towes in the thrid period for the goal and the best part was how he kept the puck in the zone for that play to give the odd man rush.

3) TJ Oshie is just all over the ice and works like a mad man to get the puck, he's the type of play I would say is a combination of Jeff Panzer and Brandon Bochenski.

4) Tom Bunning is great, he's going to a fantastic job as AD. I was walking around the concourse during the second intermission and he stopped to talk to me for about 5 minutes or so which I thought was awesome.

Overall, for being able to watch the Sioux for the first time all year, I was very impressed with all the freshman. I just can't wait to get back to GF and watch the games against Harvard in December.

I've thought more and I'm going to revise a few points here rather than edit my post:

1. The goals. I really do think that 99.99 percent of the time, that puck would have been covered, but I don't think it was a fluke. The Toews goal was a huge UNH defensive snafu but it wasn't really a fluke either.

2. SiouxTupa hit on a point I didn't hit on yet: We rushed the net. Does anyone remember how many times we called for that last year? Toews and Oshie (especially Oshie) really bring this to an art.

3. Duncan on the first line: THIS WORKS. They were really creating chances. Though Oshie and Porter could have easily been moved to the first line with their performances.

4. Stafford: One more note: YAY for getting un-snake bitten! I love a forward with skill that is patient like he was.

I like how Lee and Chorney tried to sneak up in the offensive zone. I do think that Radke needs to get more acclimated towards less broadcasting of his shot, even I could see them coming. But Radke really is a new player on this team.

3.  Duncan on the first line:  THIS WORKS.  They were really creating chances.  Though Oshie and Porter could have easily been moved to the first line with their performances.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree--but I really like Oshie and Toews together and that gives the Sioux a second legitimate scoring line. When Spirko comes back they might even have 3. The Prpich/Kaip/Fabian line is an ideal grind line. I hope Martens gets a shot tomorrow.

CSTV said Stafford's penalty was a "good" penalty (what the heck does that mean? Never heard of a "good" penalty before),

Never heard of a "good" penalty? No one wants to see their team penalized, including coaches and players, but sometimes, it's better to take a penalty to prevent a good scoring opportunity, and hope your PK unit comes through for you. The Sioux took a lot of "bad" penalties last night. I don't agree that Stafford's penalty was a "good" penalty. JPar was in position to make the save, would he have got the shot off. It sent the Sioux down 5 on 3, which led to the 1st goal.

The only "good" penalty I saw was Zajac on the UNH player who had a near break away. He had position on Zajac, and rather than giving him the clear shot on JPar, he took the penalty, and the PK unit killed the penalty.

I was going ADD at Senser's tonight.  They changed that place A TON since I was there last.  There are many more big screens, and the place is more open to see them.  GREAT JOB!  Be sure to take that in if you can't make a game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I completely agree about Senser's. It has been vastly improved. It's tough to beat watching THREE college hockey games side by side on big screens.

Which location were you at? I was at the Roseville location last night. Did they improve the other locations as well?

Excellent game last night. Looking foward to tonights game. Is it going to be on TV??? or do I have to listen to Swig on the Radio?

I thought that Toews and Stafford were both unbelievable along with Oshie. The freshman 4 on 4 line looked incrediable!! These kids have only been playing together for less than a month and look how much they have gelled already! Look out Denver - we want the sweep!