Duane Wenzel, DB, Janesville Parker

Dustin Reiff, 6'1"195 LB from Dell Rapids, SD

other players looking at UND

Jonte Flowers Madison La Follette WR 6-4 170

Dan Bierbach, Columbine, LB: Brown, North Dakota and San Diego

D.J. Craft, Arapahoe, DB: CSU, North Dakota

Zack Kennelly, Columbine, G: Mesa State, North Dakota and UNC

Justin Marsh, Arvada West, RB: CSU, UNC and North Dakota

Tyler Weeks, Columbine, G: Air Force, Brown, Colgate, UND, Princeton.

Andy Colburn LB 6'2" 215 LaCrosse, WI (Winona St.)

Drew Hysjulien WR/P Grand Forks ()

Matt Holland RB 5'8" 180 Eden Prairie, MN ( )

Dan Roscoe OL 6'6" 300 Wayzata, MN ()

Jayson Winterfeldt 6'2" Hortonville, WI ()

Josh Bean LB 6'1" 205 Calgary, AB (UND, Washburn (Ks))

Brian Dykema LB Strasburg, ND (UMary, UND)

Andrew Pratt OT 6'6" 280 Roseville, MN (UND, NDSU, Wyoming, Air Force, UMinn walkon)

Barrett Anderson OG Rochester, MN (UND, NDSU, other Div 1?)

Kyle Gearman WR 6'5" 200 Alexandria, MN (UMinn, SJoseSt, UND, NDSU)

Chris Schwantz WR 6'3" 181 Becker, MN (SCSU, UMD, MSU-Mank, UND)

Andy White DE 6'?" 2?? Hartland, WI (SCSU, UND, )

Devin Jones OL 6'5" 280 St Paul, MN (SCSU, UND)

Jeremy Faue FB 6'0" 205 Wayzata, MN (UND, Uof Minn Walkon)

Justin Geier, WR,6'4,Anoka (UND, u of m walkon)

Mitch Erickson,OL, Hutchinson, 6'6 300

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From donalexander's previous post, it seems likely that quite a number of Colorado high schoolers are considering UND. The Denver Post article listed five, but only because they are also considering Division I offers:

D.J. Craft DB 5'11" 211 Littleton Arapahoe, CO (Colo St., UND)

Justin Marsh RB 5'9" 165. Arvada, CO (ColoSt, UNC and UND)

Tyler Weeks OG 6-1. 245. Littleton Columbine, CO ( Air Force, Brown, Colgate, UND and Princeton)

Zack Kennelly OG 5'11" 270 Littleton Columbine, CO (UN-Kearney, Mesa State, UND and UNC)

Dan Bierbach LB 6-3" 230 Littleton Columbine, CO (Brown, San Diego, Dayton, UND)

There seems to be very little internet information on Colorado athletes getting exclusively Div II offers. But with the offers listed above, it would seem likely that UND is recruiting additional Jefferson County Conference players (the strongest Colorado HS football conference, which is western surburban Denver). Just at Columbine HS alone, there were four more honorable mention all-state athletes that are probably on the Div II radar:

Donnell August DE Littleton Columbine, CO

Chris Sheehan TE Littleton Columbine, CO

Mike Johnson FB Littleton Columbine, CO

Ryan Kluever OL Littleton Columbine, CO

Columbine has been the powerhouse in Colorado football over the last four years, winning three 5A titles: Columbine Football

With Jason Hoffschneider from Columbine already at UND, there is an existing UND connection and I just have to wonder if the Columbine players want to stay together as a unit. After all, there probably has not been a more difficult, yet maturing and team-building, high school in the country to be an athlete than at Columbine.

On a day that we remember and mourn the crew of the Columbia, this story shows that even in the aftermath of the tragedy at Columbine in 1999, all things can work together for good:

Columbine: Rebels with a common cause

As a follow-up on the some of the potential recruits from Colorado, Bierbach (lb), Craft (db), Marsh (rb), Kennelly (ol) and Weeks (ol) were all named all-Colorado by the Denver Post and/or the Rocky Mountain News. Since I believe these teams are picked from all the combined classes of high school football in CO, these players are evidently in pretty elite company. The other players mentioned by star2city were either all-state in 5-A (the largest class) or honorable mention in the cases of Johnson and Kluever.

Bierbach, Craft and Marsh in particular sound like outstanding prospects. If UND can sign any of these guys, they will have done very well in Colorado in my opinion.

Here's a link to an article about UND signee Donovan Alexander:

Alexander

The article says he was offered a scholarship by Nebraska late in the recruiting process so he's evidently a very good prospect.

This was the other interesting statement in the article:

"Lennon came to Winnipeg and had dinner at the Alexander household. He also told his recruit that the blueprints for an indoor practice facility have been drawn up and a move up to Division I could happen within the next three years."

It appears that between Alexander, Duane Wenzel, Jason Hoffschneider, Tom DeSautel and others, UND has done extremely well the past two seasons in recruiting defensive back prospects.

Interesting as in "I can't believe they could say stuff like that with a straight-face." How about, "they said they get all the exposure from the pros that a Division I school gets?"

If there's a line in Vegas on UND going DI in three years, I think that we know where the smart money would be.

Interesting as in "I can't believe they could say stuff like that with a straight-face." How about, "they said they get all the exposure from the pros that a Division I school gets?"

I think what the kid was saying was that if a player has pro aspirations and has enough ability, a scout will find you whether you're dI, dII, dIII or NAIA. Scouts tend to visit pretty much all the NCC schools yearly. Plus, especially since the kid is Canadian, I'm assuming he's aware that former UND player Scott Schultz was the top pick in the CFL draft a few years back.

Tom DeSautel was a good receiver for Hastings. Started out as a QB, but didn't pass as well in games as he did in practice. Schumann took over and led them to the large school championship. With DeSautel and Majeskie Hastings went from 2-2 to State Champions. Should be fun if Majeskie lines up at Safety and defends DeSautel.

In reviewing other NCC recruits, St Cloud really pulled in a trifecta with this trio:

Kyle Gearman WR 6'5" 200 Alexandria, MN

Chris Schwantz WR 6'3" 181 Becker, MN

Justin Geier WR 6'4" Anoka, MN

At one time or another, UND was supposedly pursuing all three. Last year, SCSU had three redshirt freshman and four sophomore WR's on the roster, so Hedberg's offense may become even more high powered even after the loss of Ben Nelson.

In addition, the St. Paul Pioneer Press has reported that Brady McCamy, LB, Mahtomedi, will sign with SCSU (late). The Sioux were also believed to have pursued McCamy.

In Wednesday's Herald, the following was reported:

UND is expected to sign 22.

Since only 21 signed, there may have been a late decommitment, or, someone is signing late.

Of the players the Sioux were supposedly recruiting, no confirmation has been found of any commitment by the following:

Brian Dykema LB Strasburg, ND

Jeremy Faue FB 6'0" 205 Wayzata, MN

Josh Bean LB 6'1" 205 Calgary, AB

Justin Marsh RB 5'9" 165. Arvada, CO

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...