SiouxSports.com Forum

first fighting sioux recruit

sioux2233

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been many years since UND played a true freshman football player. With some talented LBs being redshirted this year, I would guess that Richter will not play next year.

There have been a few years (like this one) where playing 2-3 freshmen would have helped us but we are much better off giving these kids an extra year to grow, become familiar with the system, get used to college life, etc.

hey played for st.cloud tech, they went 6-3 this year, they also are looking at one other kid from tech also...his name is mitch braeggleman, hes 6'2 260 and plays tight end and offensive tackle, as for richter i found out that he had 60 solo tackles and 48 assists last season but he played on the d line in high school, they say he will most likely be playing strong side outside linebacker or tight end, it was in the Grand Forks herold today.

Early in the school year, there was talk about Aaron Austin(currently playing BB at Fergus Falls CC after playing for UNC last year), coming to UND to play both BB and football. Coach Schweigert was on the hockey telecast this weekend, saying the priority was to sign O-line, D-line and wide receivers. Drew Thomas of Red River is undoubtedly the crown jewel of potential recruits. An intriguing possibility is Central's Drew Hysjulien, a tall athletic receiver and punter.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Drew Thomas. I'm sure there will be some I-A schools interested in him, but maybe his dad will figure out a way to keep him around. :(

I'm wondering if Jay Gibson at West Fargo has anyone to send north this year. WF had a couple of big RB/LB type players that were very good, but I know at least one of them was a junior.

Does anyone know what position the younger Manke will be playing? I see he's listed as a QB on the roster, but with Groeschel in the same class maybe he'll get moved to DB like his brother.

Aaron Austin will play both sports with the Sioux next year. He is having a good year at FFCC. Lots of offense -- really needs to work on his defense.

Manke is still listed as a QB as he isn't far hehind Groeschel. In fact, some think he may be better! Manke could easily move to a corner if it appears he won't see much game time at QB. There is another talented Manke brother at Detroit Lakes - a junior.

According to the Bismarck Tribune online addition, Strasburg-Zeeland linebacker Brian Dykema has narrowed his college choices to UND and the University of Mary. He's considered one of the best college prospects in the state. Hopefully Bubba Schweigert's and Tommy Dosch's ties to Strasburg and Zeeland will help the Sioux land him as he is a good one.

It's great news to hear that Dykema has UND on his list. I saw him play both football and basketball last year in the state tournaments and the kid is a tremendous athlete. There was some talk by the TV guys at the BB tournament that some major DI schools like Nebraska were taking a look at him for football.

wfduck - Your post confuses me a bit. You say that you are glad that Bauer committed to UND - that he will "contribute" to the scout team for the next few years!

Either you are being facetious or you are not a Sioux fan - or both! Is the kid going to be any good from your honest perspective?

KXMB TV (Bismarck) last night stated that Flasher-Carson fullback/linebacker Preston Stewart (5-11, 208) signed with the Sioux. They showed a brief clip of him running the ball.  Looked pretty good.

I found these numbers on Stewart:

Rushed for 1129 yards for an average of 10.3 (!) yards per carry and 23 tds; caught 1 td pass and returned a kick for a td; had 103 total tackles and 5 sacks.

Other than that, he didn't do much. :D

Summarizing the UND signees so far:

Alan Sundby RB Cavalier, ND

Drew Thomas LB Grand Forks

Jeff Richter LB 6'4" 240 St. Cloud

Mitch Braeggleman TE 6'2" 265 St. Cloud

Brett Bauer OL 6'6" 300 Dickinson

Aaron Austin WR 6'3" Hallock

Preston Stewart FB/LB 5'11" 208 Flasher/Carson

Michael Hegg TE 6'3" Thompson, ND

The following have (or had) received offers:

Brian Dykema LB Strasburg, ND

Drew Hysjulien WR/P Grand Forks

Andrew Pratt OT 6'6" 280 Roseville, MN

Barett Anderson OG Rochester, MN

Andy Colburn LB LaCrosse, WI

Kyle Gearman WR 6'5" 200 Alexandria, MN

Althought there are probably a number of other southern Minnesota and Twin Cities athletes being recruited, other more local footballers of interest may include (just my speculation):

Colin Reynolds OL Crookston, MN

Joel Skalet OL Climax/Fisher

Zach Stafford O/DL Fergus Falls, Mn

Nick Beiswenger QB Climax/Fisher

Tom Dostal DL East Grand Forks, MN

Jeremy Christensen LB Otter Tail Central

Brandon Deckert LB Fergus Falls, MN

Justin Marquis LB Fosston, MN

Nick Bonnet DL West Fargo (wrestling?)

Jake Caufield WR Minot

Nick Reinish RB West Fargo (hockey?)

NDSU signee's so far have not included anyone from the area:

Bryan Lanzy TE 6'3" 220 St. Paul

Tony Stauss QB Xfer- Northwestern 6'1" 215 RacineWI

Allen Burrell WR Xfer - UNK Aurora, Co

Adam Tollefson QB 6'2" Thorp, Wisc

Nick Jackson RB 6'1" 185 Cleveland, OH

Although 'SU has stated that they would need to expand their recruiting geography for Div I-AA football, you have to wonder if their signees even know what they are in for: what with no conference championship to play for and no chance of post-season play in their careers. A track star like Allen Burrell (10.30 speed) will not be able to compete in the Div I track finals in his career. I'm sure the local athletes are not ignorant of these issues.