SiouxSports.com Forum

Illinois files appeal

PCM

With Illinois not having a "namesake" tribe to get approval or disapproval from, I see the NCAA giving them an exemption. Or if nothing else give them an exemption under a set of circumstances such as the chief retires, etc.

However, I don't see the NCAA giving out too many exemptions after Illinois. All of the big DI schools will be taken care of and Looking at the DII and DIII schools on the list most are either Indians or Warriors. Unless these schools can get a tribe to grant them permission I doubt that too many of them will win an appeal.

Punish the small guys I guess :crazy:

What points has the Myra brought up? She won't return phone calls?

By political, I meant personally politically which is not good imo.

I agree that this is between folks who have a dog in the fight and that excludes me. Just thought I'd bring the information to the forum.

What points has the Myra brought up?  She won't return phone calls?

By political, I meant personally politically which is not good imo.

I agree that this is between folks who have a dog in the fight and that excludes me.  Just thought I'd bring the information to the forum.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I for one like to hear what is being said locally, Devils Lake, especially if it's from a reliable source. We're certainly not hearing anything else from that front. I personally feel that it's best that she not say anything than coming right out and dissolving the resolution that is still in place. It is still in place isn't it? I haven't heard that Spirit Lake rescinded the resolution that 'allowed' UND to continue use of the Sioux name.

I for one like to hear what is being said locally, Devils Lake, especially if it's from a reliable source. We're certainly not hearing anything else from that front. I personally feel that it's best that she not say anything than coming right out and dissolving the resolution that is still in place. It is still in place isn't it? I haven't heard that Spirit Lake rescinded the resolution that 'allowed' UND to continue use of the Sioux name.

I would agree with you. However, since the NCAA hasn't got a response to their current question, they apparently are free to disregard any outstanding information that they don't agree with.

• 2 weeks later...

I predict the NCAA will bifurcate the ruling on the Illinois appeal. They will declare that the nickname is not hostile and abusive, but the Chief still is hostile and abusive. They will simply declare that Illinois is not allowed to bring the Chief, or any imagry depicting the Chief, with them to NCAA tournament games. However, Illinois will be allowed to host NCAA events under that condition. Thus, Illinois will effectively be off the list and the NCAA will maintain some sort of face-saving indignation.

I predict the NCAA will bifurcate the ruling on the Illinois appeal. They will declare that the nickname is not hostile and abusive, but the Chief still is hostile and abusive. They will simply declare that Illinois is not allowed to bring the Cheif, or any imagry depicting the Cheif, with them to NCAA tournament games. However, Illinois will be allowed to host NCAA events under that condition. Thus, Illinois will effectively be off the list and the NCAA will maintain some sort of face-saving indignation.

With what I've seen so far, this prediction will almost certainly become reality. :););)

I predict the NCAA will bifurcate the ruling on the Illinois appeal. They will declare that the nickname is not hostile and abusive, but the Chief still is hostile and abusive. They will simply declare that Illinois is not allowed to bring the Chief, or any imagry depicting the Chief, with them to NCAA tournament games. However, Illinois will be allowed to host NCAA events under that condition. Thus, Illinois will effectively be off the list and the NCAA will maintain some sort of face-saving indignation.

That sounds about right, because they are a big division 1 school they will be given an exception just like FSU.

They already don't bring the chief to tournaments, I'm pretty sure he just comes out for home games. He's not Bucky the Badger or anything like that.

They already don't bring the chief to tournaments, I'm pretty sure he just comes out for home games. He's not Bucky the Badger or anything like that.

Thus making the ruling even more likely to occur. The NCAA looks like they are punishing IU for the nickname and mascot when they really aren't doing jack squat.