SiouxSports.com Forum

FIGHTING SIOUX vs. Michigan St. thread

sioux rube

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night Jordy made things look better than they probably were, though there were postive signs. Today it appears the defense struggled some, and the offense was not there to bail them out. It's on the 3rd game they've played, and they've practiced a whole week. 13 rookies,. and this kind of stuff is expected. Let's just see how things work themselves out over the next couple of months and not worry too much about a game this early in the season.

If anything, this game is a dose of reality. Probably a good one for many of us, considering the positive start to the season.

Last night Jordy's play allowed the freshmen defensemen to get some experience without panicking. Today all the players found out that if they don't play well, the team will lose. Will be interesting to see how they rebound.

The disappointment is that Zajac and Spirko didn't get anything this weekend.  I didn't expect them to get shut out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ditto. And Stafford wasn't real noticeable either. I expect it from the freshmen, but I thought these guys would make their presence felt a little more. Hopefully next weekend.

It's VERY early, no need to panic. Also, without being able to see the games, it's very hard to come to any real conclusions regarding the boys' play.

We knew they were going to lose sometime, but as mentioned previously by others, I expected their losses to be of the 6-5 variety, not shutouts.

Lots of penalties that really seemed to take ANY flow out of the game.

Ice was said to be very bad, which can certainly lead to very unpredictable results.

Hope the youngins learn from this and learn quickly, as the WCHA season is right around the corner, and it will only get more difficult.

Though I SAW nothing, what I heard in spurts wasn't so horrible. Aside from another ton of penalties and one bad stretch in the 2nd this was slightly less dominating than last game. I didn't hear any shot numbers, but it sounds like we had a few chances. TH said not a whole lot of quality ones, though. I'm impressed by Oshie. He seems to have had something going...though he didn't put any of them up, but that's more than some can say. Lee sounded great in this game.

Keep in mind I heard bits and pieces throughout the game as I was working. I would listen for stretches, then get back to work. There was one bad 5-10 mins in the second, and that's about it.

Let's rally against Northeastern next weekend, get the sweep, and start chemically bonding...or something along those lines.

Well we won a big one and lost a big one and it's under the comfort of being early in the season. I really think this was a GREAT idea by Hakstol and I hope he does this again next season.

This weekend we got the idea of what wins games and what is going to lose games. It's a great indicator of where we are at right here, right now. It's a foundation we will use to build upon and grow from as a team.

We're not going to win every game. I'd LOVE to win the same amount of games we did last season maybe a few more. After listening in this weekend, I think it is possible if we can get our discipline working for us.

It seems we just got beat where it counted today except for the Shortie. I'm sorry if this ruins what I've posted so far, but I don't think there is any reason ever to give up a short handed goal. It just doesn't make sense how 4 defenders can out shoot 5 offensive players. It doesn't cut it. That's the only part of the game I thought worthy of a good chew out.

Our PK all things considered is pretty darn good thanks to the CCHA refs and the new rule crackdown.

Anyways, let's take it to Northeastern!

Just got back from the Disaster in Dayton. Terrible game for the Sioux. Even though they put some rubber on the net great chances were few.

Sioux looked tired, Stafford got checked very hard twice early in the first period. Was a no show after that. Didnt seem to be a whole lot of leadership on the ice.

The running around was not as bad as last night. However, we need to figure out how to carry the puck up the ice. Dumping and chasing did not work. Finley looked more comfortable on the ice than last night, however, hope he doesnt have to handle the puck much this year. Oshie looked good, Chorney had high energy but several penalties including one silly one that I thought could have been a major. No one really stood out.

Mich State was aggressive, as probably all teams will be given our youth (Miami last night the same).

Lammies first goal was very weak, he had some good saves. We had a lot of powerplay as well but no conversion.

Penalties, penalties, penalties. I love Prpich but man, show some leadership to the youngsters.

We looked better than last night, but we also played a better team. This will take some time and patience on the team, coaches, and our part.

terbele, thanks for the on-site reports.

Most of us said that it could be a little rough at the start, with hopes of the team coming together in the second half. It's one thing to say it, and another to actually have to suffer through the rough times. The UNH, DU, UW stretch that's approaching very quickly is looking a little more like a freight train right now. The main objective now, though, is to GET BETTER, and win enough along the way to make the second half matter. Reults like Sunday don't bother me, as long as the team is learning and getting better.

Here's a comparison to the last cycle:

2000: Great team. National Champs.

2001: Subtract some stars, and a limited team loses in the title game.

2002: Add a huge freshman class, rebuild, and struggle.

2004: Great team. Shoulda been national champs.

2005: Subtract some stars, and a limited team loses in the title game.

2006: Add a huge freshman class, rebuild, and ...

I think 2006 will differ from 2002 in two ways. First, the primary weakness in 2002 was goaltending. It wasn't the only problem, as the entire team needed to grow and learn to play together (as evidenced by early season poundings delivered by SCSU and Mankato), but it was the one area expected to be solid heading into the year. But Kollar slipped, and Brandt wasn't ready, then Siembida just wasn't good enough. And the team wasn't mature or good enough to overcome that. This year, between Parise and Lamoureaux, it appears that UND can at least count on solid goaltending while the team tries to come together.

The other difference is that the 2006 team is probably simply more talented than the 2002 team. Both had returning role players (2002: Spiewak, Notes. 2006: Prpich, Porter, Kaip). Both had offensive stars (2002: Bayda, Skarperud. 2006: Zajac, Stafford, Spirko). Can Toews, Oshie, Duncan et al outperform Bochenski, Massen, McMahon et al? Time will tell, but early indications and NHL draft positions suggest that they can.

My main early impression is that Oshie and Lee certainly have a presence, coming as they have directly from high school hockey to the WCHA. Also, Zajac, Stafford and Spirko are absolutely going to have to score for this team to succeed. I'm not sure how much the uncertain team defense affects the ability of the offense to execute, but I don't expect that trio of players to go scoreless in two games against the CCHA (Stafford's e.n.g. doesn't count).

This excuse will be all worn out soon enough, but it's real fresh in October.

(Returning players versus freshmen)

Miami - Forwards 11-1

Miami - Defense 3-3

MSU - Forwards 9-3

MSU - Defense 6-0

UND - Forwards 7-5

UND - Defense 2-4

Someone said this is the first time we have lost to MSU since 1979...I seem to recall that the 79-80 season was a pretty good one...

I'm not surprized at the results since they are just getting together. Heck, they have only have a few official practices. Play will be very inconsistent for a while, I'm sure, so be ready.

I hope Hakstal settles in on JPar as the goalie and doesn't go back and forth like last year. But after last year, I'm not going to question his coaching (I promise).

Heck, who can blame anyone for questioning the loss yesterday? After the Manitoba game, who could have guessed we would lose? :D

Great comments, jk. It's a young season so far and the water still hasn't dried behind the ears of 1/2 of our team. If Lucia has shown anything, it's that you don't have to win every game early in the year if you are putting your team and players in a position where the coaches are learning about the players, and the players are learning what to do. The rest will take care of itself.

As has been said so often, there are going to be some lumps, and where everything may have come together against Manitoba, and goaltending may have glossed over some weaknesses against Miami, apparently offense also fell flat for a game against Michigan. That's going to happen from time to time, hopefully not too much.

great numbers you found.i am sure the great majority of teams we play this year will have a huge advantage of upperclassmen o us...i understand that we are young but we are very talented. i also know the WCHA is not a freshman league but we will see what happens?? i hope the "we have so many freshman" does not get overused and we just let this team grow into the special team it will be. lets just make sure when we WIN and we will WIN many games this year that we still use "well we have so many freshman" or else it won't sound so good when we use it everytime we lose.will be in town to see them in person this coming weekend!!!

This excuse will be all worn out soon enough, but it's real fresh in October.

(Returning players versus freshmen)

Miami - Forwards 11-1

Miami - Defense 3-3

MSU - Forwards 9-3

MSU - Defense 6-0

UND - Forwards 7-5

UND - Defense 2-4

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We are just back after a 1600 mile road trip to start the season. As it has often been mentioned by many on this Board, it is mighty tough to beat the road trips following Sioux hockey. Fifteen observations from where we sat . . . .

1. It was hardly a Disaster in Dayton as was the term mentioned by another here who also bragged about beating the organizers out of a $10 ticket by sneaking in the back way. It was an opening season tournament in the Miami River Valley to honor a man who had done much to promote sport in the Valley, most notably racing and hockey. The organizers did what they could with what they have. It is a young tournament, and is one worthy of support. Anytime we can take the game of hockey to parts a bit unknown, what is the downside?

2. There were probably few better places for this team to start their season. On the road, eating together, hanging out together, and beginning to work on melding the mettle before hitting the cauldrons of the WCHA. The small crowds allowed the boys and the staff to concentrate on the games with few other distractions.

3. One win. One loss. Both meaningless games other than for the very important fact that this young team now has two games, against solid and quality competition, to put in their collective rear view mirrors. They no doubt learned alot, as did the staff.

4. Early on first game, the defense was a bit uncertain, and I think wildly surprised at the speed of the game. Right off the drop, someone blew by I think Jones to break in on JPar, who was huge all night long. Lee looked a bit nervous and uncertain. Jones had a couple of pull downs after his man got by him, including one that led to a penalty shot that Parise stonewalled. Even after one game, the defense looked much more confident in their positioning, and in breaking the puck out of their end. The passing could still be a bit less tentative, but that will come with time and play. As someone else said, there have only been but a few practices under their belts.

5. Speaking of practices, we went over to The Nutter for the Saturday morning practice. It is really cool watching how the coaching staff puts the team through practice and drills. A light skate I suspect, as game time was but eight hours away. No fun practice-ending breakaway competition that was witnessed in Columbus. I suppose that it is too early for Hak, Berry, and Eades to stun these boys with the fact that near 40-year old men can still fly and shoot.

6. The team and staff are consummate professionals on the road. Very gracious with young autograph hunters, and they carry themselves as a team off the ice with a great deal of class. Top shelf ambassadors for the University. Most Sioux fans are the same way.

7. It was great to meet some new Sioux fans. As is the case all over the country, there was a solid showing and those from the Mideast were very grateful to get a shot at seeing the Sioux in action. No complaints from anyone in the building over the small crowds. We could sit anywhere, including right on the glass.

8. It was on the glass where we realized that Smaby, Porter, and Perpich are top-shelf Captain choices. While the knashing of teeth over penalties has started, and will always be there, there is also a good reason and need for some penalties. They are part of the game. Sure, there were some stupid ones, and the players will hear about it.

9. Both teams were quality opponents. There is no need for alarm over a season-opening loss to Michigan State, especially when the on-ice effort seemed to be there, and where the game presented many coachable moments. I suspect, but am certainly far from certain, that the coaches were overall well-pleased with the effort, the venue, and the overall results.

10. CCHA refs were all over the Robbie Bina Rule. Any hit from behind drew a whistle, an ejection, and a 5-minute major. Smaby was the victim of this on Friday on a crushing hit that I thought was more fair than not. It was right in front of us on the glass so maybe I was just impressed by hearing the Michigan State player calling for his momma rather than paying close attention to whether the hit was illegal. It did not seem to be of the more dangerous variety to me, but I am often wrong.

11. The Sioux forwards are might talented. Although the powerplay did not produce, it at times looked real crisp for such an early season attack.

12. We already are well familiar with the new names. They will all soon be studs, and will contribute mightily.

13. Really really cool to see Rylan Kaip back in uniform and on the ice.

14. Dayton fans were very supportive of the Sioux, but for the boneheaded kid in the headdress.

15. The Wright Cycle Shop, and the Air Force Museum, are both must sees. The Air Force Museum is just short of stunning.

In the end, the 800 mile drives both to and from Dayton seemed but like 80 miles. Nothing beats going on the road to support the Fighting Sioux. We are really really fortunate to be able to do so. Alas, the wallet is dry so we will leave it to others to support the Sioux in New Hampshire.

This is gonna be a really really fun season, and there is really solid potential for many really good things to happen. They will not come overnight, so be patient, and keep the wringing of hands under the table and the knashing of teeth out of sight. The Sioux Staff are great recruiters, and are great coaches. They are not miracle men. Melding this team into the mettle of a championship caliber in the cauldrons of play will take time, but it will be done.

Great comments overall NDH. However, I have to disagree with this one:

3. One win. One loss. Both meaningless games other than for the very important fact that this young team now has two games, against solid and quality competition, to put in their collective rear view mirrors.

These were not meaningless games. They obviously were not "make or break" games, but they were important for PWR. Especially the Michigan State game, because they will surely be a TUC.

NDH, good to see you're back safe and sound after a lengthy drive back. It was a pleasure to meet you and your kids. Also, thanks for the hospitality your showed my boys and presenting them with the REA/Fighting Sioux flags. They appreciated it very much.

What more can be said from your post. I can only add a few more observations (in no particular order)...

1. What more could a Sioux fan ask from attending this tournament? Although you'd like to see more there to support the Sioux, much less just supporting college hockey; for those that were there, I thought it was a good showing of Sioux fans/supporters.

2. It was great for a Sioux fan who can not always get involved in all of the action first hand (such as myself). To meet other fans such as yourself was indeed a great opportunity.

3. The fans of the Fighting Sioux hockey team show be proud of how the coaches, team and staff represent themselves and the Fighting Sioux name. While sitting in the lobby, Coach Hakstol and Berry came to me and introduced themselves. I didn't have a chance to get up to go to them. What a class act! They took time to talk with my kids, give their autograph and talk about the team. The team was very gracious to give out the autographs and poke some fun at the kids, even after the game.

4. Seen the person in the headdress (If I remember, it was blue). I personally don't know if they were there to support the Sioux or mock them, but either way, people like GK thrive like mold on baloney like that. Anyway...

5. As pretty much everyone has said, young team, early in the season, long way to go, lots to look forward to.

6. Someone mentioned that the ice was bad, now I never heard that but it seemed from where I was sitting, the Sioux had some difficulty connecting on their passes. Early in the season or the ice? Not sure...

7. Would've like to have seen the Sioux PP more productive but the PK was working hard and did a pretty good job considering how many time they had to penalty kill.

8. As early in the season it may be, the Sioux were not playing against any slouches either. Miami and MSU hold their own in the CCHA. I also think the Sioux was suprised at the speed of the game, at least with the first game against Miami. My thoughts seemed to be supported when I had the opportunity to be on the elevator with Finley and Lee after the Miami game and Finley expressed that they were too slow and needed to pick up the speed in their game. He said this not just with frustration but also determination that some things may need to be different in order to be successful. Lee agreed (although a little shyly). It was good to see that even though they may have won, they were still looking at ways to improve their game.

Overall, it was a great experience for me (and the boys) to see the Sioux that close and personal. I wouldn't be able to do it at the Ralph or most other places.

I don't know if I'll be able to see the Sioux live again this season, but I really look forward to what this season will hold for the team and its fans!

Go Sioux!!