SiouxSports.com Forum

The End of a UND Tradition?

Cratter

Actually, Springfest will be going back to the tradition, which started as a day of music and dancing in the park. The "tradition" of it being a huge public drunkfest in University Park didn't start until around 1998.

Actually, Springfest will be going back to the tradition, which started as a day of music and dancing in the park. The "tradition" of it being a huge public drunkfest in University Park didn't start until around 1998.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do believe there is music going on, and I have seen a few people dancing to that music the last few years in the park. Therefore in a way it can't go "back" to its tradition.

But yes in a way, the Herald got it wrong. The official "Springfest," per se, is actually about music sponsored by the University Programming Council in which they pay bands to come to UND to perform for UND students for (generally) free....the Violent Femmes in the lawn by Twamley, Sugar Ray in the Ralph, or Guster in the Alerus Center.

I do believe there is music going on, and I have seen a few people dancing to that music the last few years in the park.  Therefore in a way it can't go "back" to its tradition. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My point was that alcohol consumption played little, if any, part in the original Springfest. I know because I took my kids to it when they were in grade school.

University Park is a beautiful setting. I was a Park Board volunteer for ten years when it used to sponser 'Summer Thing'. Three weekends in the summer were dedicated Summer Thing; Music in the Park, Kids in the Park and Art in the Park. Like PCM, I remember Springfest as a time I would go to the park and have an enjoyable time as well. The amount of alcohol consumed, destruction to park property and general drunken behavior of many people attending are the reasons I quit going. Things may not be as bad now, I don't know anymore. I live near University Park and feel an ownership to it just as much as the students who live near by do. Is restricting alcohol going to make things better or are people going to drink anyway and with the new ordinance will things get worse due to resistance to the ban?

Springfest used to be held on campus, behind the Chester Fritz.  It didn't become fun until they moved it to University Park. 

*wonders why*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First off, recent events in the region (Concordia students hospitalized within 3 weeks of each other or less for alcohol consumption; 2 MSU-Moorhead students dead in a year from alcohol-related causes) plus numerous alcohol violations by University organizations (namely the Greeks) and UND students have made this a reality.

I can tell you right now, I support this measure. If you need beer or alcohol that badly, go to the Edge or any other bar. They have music and you can get wasted if you wish. There's no problem with an occasional brew or a glass of wine or whatever, but the levels of consumption is getting ridiculous around college campuses. It's time to put that to an end.

Just think: If drinking was that important, why spend all that money on tuition when you could use it to get liquored up?

Springfest used to be an event where there was music and some dancing and just general celebrating. Yes, there were some alcohol issues but it was always not that out of control. In 1998, it got out of control and UND took action. Now, it is getting out of control at UPark and the city is taking action. If students and townsfolk were more responsible, just think... none of this would have happened.

HOckeymom- The reason why it was moved was because of the alcohol problems partly, but mostly because Springfest used to fall right around the same time as the law school final exams. In deference to ACADEMIA, they decided to move it.

Why not sell alcohol, bottle by bottle, at the event? You can check IDs and issue wristbands, and refuse to sell to those obviously intoxicated. It would be easy to spot those drinking from something other than those event-safe plastic beer bottles.

John

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perhaps because that's the year I first attended. :love:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Way back in the early 90's when I lived by the park...

Let's just say it was a "lively"

atmosphere. :love:

Perhaps because that's the year I first attended. :love:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I started in 1996 and SpringFest was around long before I got there. They did try to make changes: campus involvment, change location, and bigger entertainment. All failed in comparison to just the college kids kicking back and having a good time!!!

I started in 1996 and SpringFest was around long before I got there. They did try to make changes: campus involvment, change location, and bigger entertainment. All failed in comparison to just the college kids kicking back and having a good time!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Though there is nothing wrong with people kicking back and having a good time, I find it sadly amusing that, in order for people to get together and "kick back and have a good time" massive amounts of alcohol must be consumed.

If that wasn't the case, then why can't you have Springfest every weekend? There's nothing stoping the student populace from gathering in a location and just hanging out together without alcohol. But, alas, that doesn't provide the "good time" part of it.

I liked Springfest before its name changed to Drunkfest. There's more to life then what's found in a bottle.

Though there is nothing wrong with people kicking back and having a good time, I find it sadly amusing that, in order for people to get together and "kick back and have a good time" massive amounts of alcohol must be consumed.

If that wasn't the case, then why can't you have Springfest every weekend?  There's nothing stoping the student populace from gathering in a location and just hanging out together without alcohol.  But, alas, that doesn't provide the "good time" part of it.

I liked Springfest before its name changed to Drunkfest.  There's more to life then what's found in a bottle.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you off your soapbox yet?

You shouldn't judge people who go to Springest every year to have a couple drinks (legally) and to see their friends and hang out.

First off, recent events in the region (Concordia students hospitalized within 3 weeks of each other or less for alcohol consumption; 2 MSU-Moorhead students dead in a year from alcohol-related causes) plus numerous alcohol violations by University organizations (namely the Greeks) and UND students have made this a reality.

You forgot the NDSU student who nearly "power hour-ed" himself to death within the last three years also.

There seems to be a new focus on binge drinking at all the regional campuses. Recent events put a "rightly so" behind that.

This has become a binge drinking fest.

I'd rather see UND get ahead of it and tame it back down (I'm not saying knitting party, just something tamer) before someone ends up in the hospital and headlines (or worse).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Aaaaah, my first springfest, I remember it well... :love:

If that wasn't the case, then why can't you have Springfest every weekend? There's nothing stoping the student populace from gathering in a location and just hanging out together without alcohol. But, alas, that doesn't provide the "good time" part of it.

I liked Springfest before its name changed to Drunkfest. There's more to life then what's found in a bottle.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you are forgetting that college students are "young adults". Sure there are a few that don't act like it from time to time. I just hate to see another UND tradition destroyed. My two favorite events of the year when I was in college was Springfest and UND/ndsu game.

I think you are forgetting that college students are "young adults".  Sure there are a few that don't act like it from time to time.  I just hate to see another UND tradition destroyed.  My two favorite events of the year when I was in college was Springfest and UND/ndsu game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you don't want the tradition to die, then you should have nothing against returning the event to its traditional roots.

I respect the opinions that others have put forth so far on this issue, it is obvious that age differences are causing the division between city officials and students.

My first springfest was in 2002, the year of the riot, i will admit it was absolutely outa control, and people could have easily gotten hurt. In the subsequent 3 springfests, the increased police enforcement and planning have IMO made it a controlled chaos that isnt out of hand.

Some of you wish to change it back to the old way, i just dont think that is even close to a reality. It is the sad truth that students and young adults in general want to have alcohol involved with most social functions they take part in. You may say, well my son/daughter doesnt need alcohol to have fun at college, i may guess that your son/daughter isnt telling you everything they do!

I think the students have done a great job of controlling themselves since 2002, and its a testament to there maturity, they realized that complete gluttony wasnt going to be tolerated and they gave a little. I would hope the city could realize this and grant the students the same amount of respect i feel they have earned.

You may not think drinking is necessary for a college good time, it may be wisdom, and i respect that. But, wisdom is most easily learned through experience, and i am sure glad i was able to experience my four springfests!!

I respect the opinions that others have put forth so far on this issue, it is obvious that age differences are causing the division between city officials and students.

My first springfest was in 2002, the year of the riot, i will admit it was absolutely outa control, and people could have easily gotten hurt. In the subsequent 3 springfests, the increased police enforcement and planning have IMO made it a controlled chaos that isnt out of hand.

Some of you wish to change it back to the old way, i just dont think that is even close to a reality.  It is the sad truth that students and young adults in general want to have alcohol involved with most social functions they take part in.  You may say, well my son/daughter doesnt need alcohol to have fun at college, i may guess that your son/daughter isnt telling you everything they do! 

I think the students have done a great job of controlling themselves since 2002, and its a testament to there maturity, they realized that complete gluttony wasnt going to be tolerated and they gave a little.  I would hope the city could realize this and grant the students the same amount of respect i feel they have earned. 

You may not think drinking is necessary for a college good time, it may be wisdom, and i respect that.  But, wisdom is most easily learned through experience, and i am sure glad i was able to experience my four springfests!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, that was pretty deep for a thread on Springfest. Let's face it... students do want the opportunity to drink and have a good time. Springfest is perfect since we all have cabin fever living indoors through the subzero weather in GF. The argument at hand is whether or not they can handle themselves in the proper manor. I don't think they can stop the underage drinking or drinking altogether. The police do need to be present to prevent the craziness from 2002 (burning couches, fighting, etc...).

Springfest is a UND tradition. Let's keep it that way. I'm no longer young enough to make it to that annual event, but I will never forget the great memories.

I think that something that needs to be mentioned is that University Park is a city park, not UND property. The park is enjoyed by all of us who live near it as well as by people who live on the upper north side who lost their park in '97. I don't think that non-students should have to avoid going to a city park because of Springfest being a Drunkfest and not wanting to have their day be less enjoyable because of the behavior of some students who choose to 'over indulge'.

While I admit to being older than the average bear, I do know that drinking and college parties are fun for the attendees. But as mentioned, the recent deaths, two in one year, in Fargo due to binge drinking is and should be on everyone's minds. I rented a bus for my son's 21st birthday because I am not so naive' as to think that there would not be drinking on that day by all of his friends who were waiting for him to finally turn 21. Everyone promised to be picked up and dropped off for the bar hopping. It worked out. Had anyone died on that day, I would have been devasted. Luckily for me, he's not a big drinker, had two beers that night. As for his friends, they had plenty. No DUIs, no hospitalizations, LUCKY.

I wish there was someway to have fun, be able to drink and not have anyone face the possible repurcussions of too much booze. As yet, there isn't. So maybe redwing77 sounds stuffy, that's reality my friends.

Its a sad day when the City Council is going to make a 35 year old man enjoying a BBQ in Riverside park get a permit to drink that Miller High Life (and now even pay??), because one day out of the year UND students get together at University Park to enjoy the end of school, listen to music, drink, and hang out with their friends before they go home for the summer.

Is it another way to tax the folks? I don't believe permits are generally free?

Its a sad day when the City Council is going to make a 35 year old man enjoying a BBQ in Riverside park get a permit to drink that Miller High Life (and now even pay??), because one day out of the year UND students get together at University Park to enjoy the end of school, listen to music, drink, and hang out with their friends before they go home for the summer.