SiouxSports.com Forum

Focus on the real Native American problems

siouxfan499

I have done a lot of reading on this topic and I have paid close attention to what has been going on with the NCAA ruling on the Fighting Sioux name. I have been a Sioux fan for all of my life. Growing up in southwest North Dakota I always followed the Fighting Sioux, even during the one year that I went to college in (cough) Dickinson (cough), I paid more attention to the Sioux than I did the Blue Hawks. When I got to UND last year, I was amazed at the number of programs that are provided to Native American students, and others who wish to study the heritage of Native Americans on this campus. I think this is something positive for the Native Americans on this campus and I think they would miss these programs greatly if they weren't offered here at the University of North Dakota.

This summer I worked for a company at home and one of my jobs was to go to Eagle Butte, South Dakota on the Cheyenne River Sioux Indian reservation and do a water survey that required me to meet many people, including the brother of one of the on-campus opponents to the Fighting Sioux nickname. After seeing the opportunities that Native Americans have here on the UND campus (which outnumber the options they would find on any other campus in America), I was completely appalled by the way of life on that particular reservation. I'm not here to knock the way of that community, but to simply inform. The situation on that reservation is similar to the situations on the reservations of North Dakota. Poverty and unemployment are rampant. While some people there work hard, some people live for "the check," and that's very unfortunate. It is my belief that this way of life is like this because there are no opportunities for these people on the reservations. More needs to be done by Tribal leaders on all reservations to enhance economical development to provide jobs for the people who sit along the street during the day waiting for "the check". Tribal leaders need to work right now to improve the way of life for the people they represent. I have a hard time understanding how they can piss and moan about a nickname, which many, even Native Americans find as a point of pride, when there is so much to do concerning poverty and unemployment on their reservations. I know this has been brought up by some people, but I wanted you all to know what I've seen first hand. I hope the tribal leaders realize this and take this to heart, and I hope that the NCAA realizes the problems on these reservations and let's the elected tribal officials do their jobs, instead of tangling them up in a nickname controversy. LONG LIVE THE FIGHTING SIOUX......the people and the nickname!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have done a lot of reading on this topic and I have paid close attention to what has been going on with the NCAA ruling on the Fighting Sioux name.  I have been a Sioux fan for all of my life.  Growing up in southwest North Dakota I always followed the Fighting Sioux, even during the one year that I went to college in (cough) Dickinson (cough), I paid more attention to the Sioux than I did the Blue Hawks.  When I got to UND last year, I was amazed at the number of programs that are provided to Native American students, and others who wish to study the heritage of Native Americans on this campus.  I think this is something positive for the Native Americans on this campus and I think they would miss these programs greatly if they weren't offered here at the University of North Dakota.

This summer I worked for a company at home and one of my jobs was to go to Eagle Butte, South Dakota on the Cheyenne River Sioux Indian reservation and do a water survey that required me to meet many people, including the brother of one of the on-campus opponents to the Fighting Sioux nickname.  After seeing the opportunities that Native Americans have here on the UND campus (which outnumber the options they would find on any other campus in America), I was completely appalled by the way of life on that particular reservation.  I'm not here to knock the way of that community, but to simply inform.  The situation on that reservation is similar to the situations on the reservations of North Dakota.  Poverty and unemployment are rampant.  While some people there work hard, some people live for "the check," and that's very unfortunate.  It is my belief that this way of life is like this because there are no opportunities for these people on the reservations.  More needs to be done by Tribal leaders on all reservations to enhance economical development to provide jobs for the people who sit along the street during the day waiting for "the check".  Tribal leaders need to work right now to improve the way of life for the people they represent.  I have a hard time understanding how they can piss and moan about a nickname, which many, even Native Americans find as a point of pride, when there is so much to do concerning poverty and unemployment on their reservations.  I know this has been brought up by some people, but I wanted you all to know what I've seen first hand.  I hope the tribal leaders realize this and take this to heart, and I hope that the NCAA realizes the problems on these reservations and let's the elected tribal officials do their jobs, instead of tangling them up in a nickname controversy.  LONG LIVE THE FIGHTING SIOUX......the people and the nickname!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I lived on a reservation for most of my life. And I can tell you that "honoring" us with green wigs, Sioux Dogs, Siouxveniers, and SiouxSearch, is inappropriate. I've been to the CRST, and you know, they have more going for them then many of the other Sioux reservations.

If its so piddley of an issue, why not just abide by the NCAA's request, and move on? So many posts here "hate" Indians. Read them, you'll see.

As for this campus, out of all my aquaintences here on campus, and I know more natives than anybody, I don't know of any Native Students that feel comfortable attending ANY games, (either you want the name changed, or if you go, those in your community might not accept you, so either way, your screwed). So damned if you do, damned if you don't.

My bottom line is, If its honorable, why aren't the tribes behind UND?

I have done a lot of reading on this topic and I have paid close attention to what has been going on with the NCAA ruling on the Fighting Sioux name.  I have been a Sioux fan for all of my life.  Growing up in southwest North Dakota I always followed the Fighting Sioux, even during the one year that I went to college in (cough) Dickinson (cough), I paid more attention to the Sioux than I did the Blue Hawks.  When I got to UND last year, I was amazed at the number of programs that are provided to Native American students, and others who wish to study the heritage of Native Americans on this campus.  I think this is something positive for the Native Americans on this campus and I think they would miss these programs greatly if they weren't offered here at the University of North Dakota.

This summer I worked for a company at home and one of my jobs was to go to Eagle Butte, South Dakota on the Cheyenne River Sioux Indian reservation and do a water survey that required me to meet many people, including the brother of one of the on-campus opponents to the Fighting Sioux nickname.  After seeing the opportunities that Native Americans have here on the UND campus (which outnumber the options they would find on any other campus in America), I was completely appalled by the way of life on that particular reservation.  I'm not here to knock the way of that community, but to simply inform.  The situation on that reservation is similar to the situations on the reservations of North Dakota.  Poverty and unemployment are rampant.  While some people there work hard, some people live for "the check," and that's very unfortunate.  It is my belief that this way of life is like this because there are no opportunities for these people on the reservations.  More needs to be done by Tribal leaders on all reservations to enhance economical development to provide jobs for the people who sit along the street during the day waiting for "the check".  Tribal leaders need to work right now to improve the way of life for the people they represent.  I have a hard time understanding how they can piss and moan about a nickname, which many, even Native Americans find as a point of pride, when there is so much to do concerning poverty and unemployment on their reservations.  I know this has been brought up by some people, but I wanted you all to know what I've seen first hand.  I hope the tribal leaders realize this and take this to heart, and I hope that the NCAA realizes the problems on these reservations and let's the elected tribal officials do their jobs, instead of tangling them up in a nickname controversy.  LONG LIVE THE FIGHTING SIOUX......the people and the nickname!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Siouxfan 499, thanks for your comments, but you will soon find out that the facts and the truth are not worth much to those that somehow find all of this "hostile and abusive".....

Won't somebody post something about something "important"? If these so-called leaders are more concerned about college nicknames/logos than poverty, third world living, substandard healthcare, etc. in their own backyards, I see no reason to really concern the rest of us. :blush::blush:

If its so piddley of an issue, why not just abide by the NCAA's request, and move on?  So many posts here "hate" Indians.  Read them, you'll see.

As for this campus, out of all my aquaintences here on campus, and I know more natives than anybody, I don't know of any Native Students that feel comfortable attending ANY games, (either you want the name changed, or if you go, those in your community might not accept you, so either way, your screwed). 

I say heck no, then the Univeristy is caving into a small vocal minority (squeeky wheel gets the grease). Its whats wrong with this country, hand wringing do gooders that want the rest of the country to change to their point of view. These P.C.ers want to have their values stuffed down our throat all for the good of liberalism unchecked.

Why are other tribes like the Seminoles, Utes, Chippewa, etc just fine with nicknames and the Sioux aren't? Tell us what is different about the Sioux? Why are they so much more "oppressed" by this? Considering how UND treats the nickname vs. FSU, tell me how it is abusive in comparison?

Yeah, I lived on a reservation for most of my life.  And I can tell you that "honoring" us with green wigs, Sioux Dogs, Siouxveniers, and SiouxSearch, is inappropriate.  I've been to the CRST, and you know, they have more going for them then many of the other Sioux reservations. 

If its so piddley of an issue, why not just abide by the NCAA's request, and move on?  So many posts here "hate" Indians.  Read them, you'll see.

As for this campus, out of all my aquaintences here on campus, and I know more natives than anybody, I don't know of any Native Students that feel comfortable attending ANY games, (either you want the name changed, or if you go, those in your community might not accept you, so either way, your screwed).  So damned if you do, damned if you don't. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Re read my original post and see if I wrote anywhere in there about "honoring" the native americans. I wrote about the opportunities that are offered here at this university to Native Americans and about the poverty and unemployment rates on the reservations, and I used one reservation as an example. Just yesterday a new tribal leader was elected at Standing Rock. In the article I read from the Bismarck Tribune announcing his election he pointed out that the unemployment rate on the reservation is 76%!! 76%!!?? 3 out of 4 people on that reservation are unemployed!! It looks like these reservations have bigger fish to fry than a nickname at the University of North Dakota. I hope these tribal leaders can focus on the real issues that involve the people of their reservation and resolve this issue.

Why are other tribes like the Seminoles, Utes, Chippewa, etc just fine with nicknames and the Sioux aren't? Tell us what is different about the Sioux? Why are they so much more "oppressed" by this? Considering how UND treats the nickname vs. FSU, tell me how it is abusive in comparison?

GrahamKracker, I see you've been on the board since I posted this. Will you respond?

The difference is the Sioux People don't support you. Plain and simple.

ALERT THE MEDIA!

Ok, it's fair to have a difference of opinion. But the argument made by you is that the use of the nickname is horrible for the tribes. Yet other tribes DON'T have the same opinion. WHY is it different?

Actually, GK, the only hate here is the hate you have for white people, and the hate you have for everyone that disagrees with you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't hate white people. I even have white friends. And I even root for the Vikings once and awhile, but that's only when I'm trying to learn about the Scandanavian culture.

I even talk to white people daily. Hell, I'm married to a woman that's 1/2 white, beat that!! lol

Disagreeing, if I didn't disagree, y'all wouldn't have anyone to fight with, you'd all just post miserable, non-factual, hateful posts and just sit in here and whine about the NCAA, the Sioux tribes and how poor and antisocial we are, and of course hope that the Mascot gods find you an Indian that supports you.