SiouxSports.com Forum

Coaches Show

forecheck

I don't know what happened, but I hit something on my keyboard that erased everything halfway through the interview, so I might have missed some stuff. PCM might have to fill in the gaps....

Some people think that UND has an easy schedule, playing so many games at home, but it can be such a grind, especially in Grand Forks, ND where everyone expects you to win no matter what. Blais likes to get his team on the road. Right now, the focus is on finals. Most of the team is taking finals on Friday, Reading and Review Day, and about half of the team should be done and will go home for Christmas after Saturday's game. They're excited to have a little break.

There is a lot of talk about how UND hasn't played "anybody" this year, and Tim asks who is anybody? (Sound familiar? :D ) They used the example of the Gophers this year, because they are a good, respectable program, and said that they had a hard time against Michigan Tech, and lost one to Mankato. There is no gimme in this league. And how can you argue with a 14-1-1 record?

It's a little early to say that we're going to win the WCHA, although Blais thinks the Sioux will be a top 5 team and will get a bid to the NCAA tourney. But, they are still one point behind CC, and they still have to take care of the second half of the schedule.

This team has won something like 7 one-goal games. Usually when you look at the goals for/goals against for a team, you can determine how they're doing, but not so much for this team. We may only be winning some one goal games, but last year we were losing those games. The biggest difference, again, is the team chemistry. You walk into the locker room and you can feel it. No longer are the coaches the first 3 people on the ice. The guys have just dug a little deeper and realized that last year was no fun. Opening the arena was fun, and seeing 11,000+ fans, but losing wasn't. Today was an optional practice, and still over half of the guys were on the ice playing some pick up games while Blais was doing some interviews. They just love to be there.

Someone e-mailed Tim and asked him to have Blais comment on the incident at the end of the game. Blais said that when he and Dahl were shaking hands at the bench, Blais suggested they get their teams in the locker rooms before something broke out. He said that when he yells on the ice, the players hear him, so when he stepped out onto the ice he was yelling for them to get back. One half was calming down, and then he saw Prpich getting into it with another player, they weren't backing down, and they were saying some things to each other and Blais could tell it was about to turn ugly. So he grabbed Prpich and wrestled him away. As for the spearing to Cullen, it wasn't caught on tape, and Blais didn't see anything, but he wishes he could know what happened. A little talk about how it was a bit ridiculous that Finger went so far as to say to the media that they once respected UND, but that was such a cowardly thing to do, and that their team lost all respect for UND. Canady came in on Monday and apologized.

Blais was wondering about Moreland's condition, and said that he didn't know how serious a dislocated kneecap was. Tim said it isn't as serious as it is painful, and Blais said that Moreland has played through pain before.

Caller asked about the schedule. The schedule is done through the league office, and Blais pretty much has no choice on it. Sometimes he gets to vote on which schedule he likes the best out of like 4 or 5, but otherwise he doesn't get much choice. Ideally it should be one series away, one series at home. Caller says P and Dubay (?) are smoking crack because they still say we haven't played anybody, even though we've only lost to one team. Then they played "where are they now?" with some players from the 80's.

Bayda called last week to check up on the team, and he sounded a little lonesome, not that he wants to be back here, he's #2 in scoring on his team. Tim joked that it's not like he would look any good on the Parise/Bochenski line anyway. Blais is trying anyone with Parise and Bochenski until he finds the one that clicks, and right now, Prpich is playing as well as anyone, so why not put him up there?

Tim says the team could look past this weekend and just want to go home for the holidays, and Blais jokes that if they do that, then they won't be going home. He can take away their Christmas presents and be a scrooge. ;) He thinks this team if focused, though.

Canisius is improved, and they're coming into this great arena, so for them it's like the superbowl. UND is the best team they're going to play this year. Blais really likes their coach. He wants to play everyone this weekend against Canisius...Ranfranz, Sofie, and Marvin were the players he mentioned. We are playing 4 games minus 3 players over Christmas, so it's time for people who haven't gotten very much playing time to step up. He might move a forward back to defense just to make sure there are 6 defensemen, but he thinks that the forwards will be able to help out and put some goals on the board. Chad Dahlen is a red-shirt transfer from Ferris State and Devils Lake, he can play, he moves the puck well, and he's not a real big kid, but strong. Blais likes what he is seeing.

Jeff Panzer is just behind Johnny Pohl in scoring, and Goerhing is doing bizarre, he's playing so well. Blais said if the Blue Jackets don't call him up, some other team is going to snatch him up. There's no doubt that Goerhing will make it in the NHL. Tim says the Wild just don't like Roche, what's up? Blais says he's not 6'3" and he's too offensive. Plus the Wild are having such a good year so far. If he doesn't get moved up this year, another team will also snatch him up. Blais said he has already talked to a couple scouts who have said they would love to have Roche. Sometimes it looks like Roche might be gambling a bit, but where some defensemen would put the puck out of play, Roche will turn around and make an outlet pass.

Caller asked about the schedule. The schedule is done through the league office, and Blais pretty much has no choice on it. Sometimes he gets to vote on which schedule he likes the best out of like 4 or 5, but otherwise he doesn't get much choice. Ideally it should be one series away, one series at home. Caller says P and Dubay (?) are smoking crack because they still say we haven't played anybody, even though we've only lost to one team.

That's interesting to know. I made a comment on USCHO message board that said "it's not like we get to pick who we play, so don't bitch at us for an easy schedule" and somebody can back and said something along the lines of: "That's the most rediculus thing I've heard on these boards. Who do you think decides who you play for NC, uncle ralphy?"

So it's really nice to know that we DON'T pick our NC games, I didn't think we did, now I have some proof.

By the way, thanx for the write up, I never see the show, good to hear what Blais is saying.

Don't jump to conclusions. The radio talk show forum isn't designed for him to explain everything about the amount of input coaches have in their schedules. They have more say in their Non-Confernce schedules than in their Conference schedules. That's how we ended up with Canisius...when the other 'deals' Blais was working on fell through and our schedule and Canisius' lined up.

Having seen Prpich for just one period in the Kato game, he reminded me of Bayda, as I posted elsewhere; hard worker and great forechecker (and backchecker). JK reminded us of another #19, Scott Dub, local hard working kid who went at it as hard in practice as he did in games, becoming a real crowd favorite on some great Sioux teams.

Looks to me, however, that Prpich has a bit more offensive upside than Dub, probably closer to that of Bayda. Hope he's the answer to the "who's going to play the wing opposite Bochenski", question.

No one asked but...

It's PA and Dubay. PA is Paul Allen, who is the voice of the Vikings on the radio. Dubay is just a fan. Neither one are "journalists" so I would not take anything they say to seriously. Think a message board with sound effects and good guests. :D In fact, they got their gig only because Jesse ran for office. KFAN had to put someone else on and these two got it. Supposed to be temorary gig but lughead ended up in office.

Heh-hee. Someone called as I was typing and said PA & Dubay were on crack. Could it be the same caller who called Blais?? Well done, whoever you are and your second line would not be our first line. ;)

PCM and Sicatoka, I wouldn't doubt it. That store has a conspiracy against me, and one of these days I'm going to prove it! ;):D

And BigGrey, others have already pointed out that the coaches do get to pick their non-conference schedules. The caller was commenting more on the fact that UND plays all but 2 of their league games at home in the first half, leaving them on the road all next semester.

And BigGrey, others have already pointed out that the coaches do get to pick their non-conference schedules. The caller was commenting more on the fact that UND plays all but 2 of their league games at home in the first half, leaving them on the road all next semester.

Alright. Guess I misinterpreted that. Thanx for the clear-up.