SiouxSports.com Forum

Minnesota Wild

dakotadan

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going. I got pretty good seats. 101 Row B.

If it weren't preseason, I'd know what to expect: Dull defensive hockey game. Minnesota would win because, between the two teams, Gaborik is the only goal scorer.

Being that it is preseason hockey and the rosters are all weird, I don't know what I'm going to see. After all, the Wild beat the Coyotes 7-0. I don't remember the last time the Wild scored over 4 goals in a victory.

It's gonna be interesting.

It sounds like the building isn't even half sold out. What is the deal? It can't be the cost, because I think $19 is pretty decent for NHL hockey. Are people still bitter from the lock-out or what? I think it is pretty pathetic we can't get close to a sell-out for this caliber of a game....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perhaps it is a weak excuse, but my guess is most people want to watch Sioux alums play in these type of games. The Wild generate some interest because they are local, but the Panther's roster is a devoid of anything connected to UND, other than the couple of players listed that played in the most recent WJC.

If the opponent was the Coyotes, Oilers, Penguins, etc, the ticket sales would be much better.

Remember the uproar a few years back because of the Thrashers last minute decision not only refusing to let Hrkac play, but not even allowing him to travel to GF with the team . . . . if their decision had been announced earlier in the process I don't think the crowd would've been as big as it was!

That being said, I have my tickets for Friday and am looking forward to the game.

I just don't have a big interest in the Wild or the Panthers. I have been a Devils fan since Brodeur came into the league, and am a much bigger one now that they have Parise, Hale, and in the near future, Zajac. Will I still go to the game since it is an NHL contest? Probably. I will use it as a warmup for Sioux hockey. It will be nice for the Wild and Panthers to see how much nicer a building the Ralph is than their home arenas.

Same. I've never been a Wild fan. I just think that it's the only chance for a while to see an NHL game.

The Wild are pathetic to me. The Panthers are worse. I recall them signing Goren and then letting him rot his contract away in the AHL because they prefer to have guys in the NHL whose names are hard to pronounce. (OK, the words they used is "Europeans').

Oh well. The Wild will never amount to anything if they don't get scoring. The Panthers, on the other hand, will never amount to anything period.

A bit of a curve to the topic, but not worth a thread of its own. I'm enjoying reading each morning in the sports page how players, coaches, scouts, etc are all up in arms about all the penalties being called in the preseason NHL games.

Was NO ONE paying attention to the college game last season? Did they not anticipate this? For me its an illustration of the ignorance of some of these NHL affiliated guys that this is coming as a surprise. When I say ignorance, I'm talking about the Tampa Bay coach or scout who said that Smaby's development was being hurt by playing in the college game. It's not the only instance of that kind of head in the sand comment (wasn't there a comment out of Edmonton along the same lines about Greene?).

Ask Phoenix how the college game hurt Jones' development.

These guys have to be patient and live through the few months of pain that the new points-of-emphasis will inflict on the way to a healthier game. Fortunately, the NHL executive VP is on the ball:

You've got to hand it to those patient NHL general managers.

Three days into the preseason, irritated GMs, upset with the inordinate number of power plays called as the league cracks down on obstruction, have already dialed up NHL executive vice president Colin Campbell to complain.

Over the years, Campbell has gotten used to such calls. He used to let them vent. Now, these GMs can expect a quick admonishment.

"It's going to be like: 'Enough is enough. Shut up,'" Campbell said. "We've been directed to do this by everybody, and a lot of those everybodys are the same people who have complained before when penalties were called too much.

"But this time, because of the lockout, we had the whole year to sink our teeth into it. We discussed it with players, coaches, refs and managers, and this was [the edict]to come down."

Strib Story on the NHL

Serioiusly, this is going to be one fun game to watch..I don't know why nobody thinks this will be an exciting game, the NHL game is sooo much faster than the college game, and the players are so much better...it's a great opportunity to see some of the best players in the world. There are young players in this game worth going to see, like O'Sullivan, Koivu, Bouchard, Thelen, and Pouliot for the Wild, and guys like Bouwmeester, Horton, Olesz, McArdle and Stewart...and possibly a chance to see the NHL's best goalie, Roberto Luongo. The tickets aren't too expensive, and it's NHL hockey, I don't see why any self-respecting hockey fan wouldn't go...

I'm going.  I got pretty good seats.  101 Row B.

If it weren't preseason, I'd know what to expect:  Dull defensive hockey game.  Minnesota would win because, between the two teams, Gaborik is the only goal scorer.

Being that it is preseason hockey and the rosters are all weird, I don't know what I'm going to see.  After all, the Wild beat the Coyotes 7-0.  I don't remember the last time the Wild scored over 4 goals in a victory.

It's gonna be interesting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. I'm actually looking forward to some live hockey - it's been late May since the AHL playoffs.

Those seats must be right on the blue line in Sec 101...that will be cool. There are only a few row B seats in 101 (unless you're going to sit with the Panther team on the bench)...

Mine are across the ice in Sec. 107, row B on the face off circle of the side the Wild shoot twice...should be good.

Serioiusly, this is going to be one fun game to watch..I don't know why nobody thinks this will be an exciting game, the NHL game is sooo much faster than the college game, and the players are so much better...it's a great opportunity to see some of the best players in the world. There are young players in this game worth going to see, like O'Sullivan, Koivu, Bouchard, Thelen, and Pouliot for the Wild, and guys like Bouwmeester, Horton, Olesz, McArdle and Stewart...and possibly a chance to see the NHL's best goalie, Roberto Luongo. The tickets aren't too expensive, and it's NHL hockey, I don't see why any self-respecting hockey fan wouldn't go...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I went to a Wild exhibition game two years ago and it was the most boring hockey I have seen in a long time. Absolutely lifeless and dead, no excitement at all. As for ticket prices, $19 will get you in the corners in the upper deck. Try $29 on the sides on top and the ends on the lower level. $39 on the sides on the lower level, according to theralph.com. I actually traded two Sioux tickets to a nonconference game for two tickets to the exhibition game. A mistake I will never make again.

I went to a Wild exhibition game two years ago and it was the most boring hockey I have seen in a long time. Absolutely lifeless and dead, no excitement at all. As for ticket prices, $19 will get you in the corners in the upper deck. Try $29 on the sides on top and the ends on the lower level. $39 on the sides on the lower level, according to theralph.com. I actually traded two Sioux tickets to a nonconference game for two tickets to the exhibition game. A mistake I will never make again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope this won't be a repeat of that game. I've really been excited about this game. Think it will be a good prelude to Sioux hockey.

I hope this won't be a repeat of that game. I've really been excited about this game. Think it will be a good prelude to Sioux hockey.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This will be my third exhibition game. I went to the Thrashers game and the Blues game. Both were dead. The only time it got lively was when Panzer and Bombardir were announced. I expect this to be more dead than the Thrashers game.

Edited by redwing77

This will be my third exhibition game. I went to the Thrashers game and the Blues game. Both were dead. The only time it got lively was when Panzer and Bombardir were announced. I expect this to be more dead than the Thrashers game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The beer is cold, the nachos are tasty, the company is excellent; three out of four> not too bad.

One hyphenated word: PRE-SEASON! Sorry, but it's hard to get fired up for a game that doesn't count. It's like talking about the Vikings during the pre-season...hey...they're 5-0. Nice work. Now how many Super Bowl trophies does that get you? ZERO. Have some balls, NHL, and play a regular season game in Grand Forks. Sure, it's not 18,000 at the Xcel, but it's also not 9,000 in North Carolina either. Expose some fans to the NHL that otherwise might not see it. Heaven knows since ESPN doesn't want your product, you've got to market it somehow. How about a Boston game in Hartford? Maybe a Kings game in Las Vegas? Chicago Blackhawks playing in Indianapolis? Shake it up, Bettman!

One hyphenated word:  PRE-SEASON!  Sorry, but it's hard to get fired up for a game that doesn't count.  It's like talking about the Vikings during the pre-season...hey...they're 5-0.  Nice work.  Now how many Super Bowl trophies does that get you?  ZERO.  Have some balls, NHL, and play a regular season game in Grand Forks.  Sure, it's not 18,000 at the Xcel, but it's also not 9,000 in North Carolina either.  Expose some fans to the NHL that otherwise might not see it.  Heaven knows since ESPN doesn't want your product, you've got to market it somehow.  How about a Boston game in Hartford?  Maybe a Kings game in Las Vegas?  Chicago Blackhawks playing in Indianapolis?  Shake it up, Bettman!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're talking to Bettman here. This guy doesn't care about new markets. He only cares about the ones he's contractually obligated to care about.