SiouxSports.com Forum

Minnesota Wild

dakotadan

I went to a Wild exhibition game two years ago and it was the most boring hockey I have seen in a long time. Absolutely lifeless and dead, no excitement at all. As for ticket prices, $19 will get you in the corners in the upper deck. Try $29 on the sides on top and the ends on the lower level. $39 on the sides on the lower level, according to theralph.com. I actually traded two Sioux tickets to a nonconference game for two tickets to the exhibition game. A mistake I will never make again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Like you'd know anything about hockey. :D

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like you'd know anything about hockey. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Regular season non-conference vs pre-season = no brainer.

Give me regular season anything over pre-season. What a gigantic rip-off and people buy right into it. People whine all the time about the $100 million gift by Ralph Engelstad to Grand Forks, yet I don't hear a mouse fart from anyone in Minneapolis/St Paul about a proposed $790 million stadium that will be used for 8-15 Sundays PER FREAKIN' YEAR!

The NHL had a great thing going (see Sports Illustrated circa 1994 for a cover page article on why the NHL is hot and the NBA is not) and you'll see what I mean. Thanks for screwin' it all up, Gary & co. Nice to see guys like Mark Messier, Ron Francis, and others ride off into retirement after taking a year off. Nice to see them get the farewell and good-bye send-off that they deserve. You've ruined a great game. Now you're going to gain it back by changing a logo or two, telling the officials to enforce the rules they were supposed to enforce two years ago, and bring back fans by plotting a marketing plan that is more secretive than nuclear weapons in North Korea?

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Sorry for the rant.

Regular season non-conference vs pre-season = no brainer.

Give me regular season anything over pre-season. What a gigantic rip-off and people buy right into it. People whine all the time about the $100 million gift by Ralph Engelstad to Grand Forks, yet I don't hear a mouse fart from anyone in Minneapolis/St Paul about a proposed $790 million stadium that will be used for 8-15 Sundays PER FREAKIN' YEAR!

The NHL had a great thing going (see Sports Illustrated circa 1994 for a cover page article on why the NHL is hot and the NBA is not) and you'll see what I mean. Thanks for screwin' it all up, Gary & co. Nice to see guys like Mark Messier, Ron Francis, and others ride off into retirement after taking a year off. Nice to see them get the farewell and good-bye send-off that they deserve. You've ruined a great game. Now you're going to gain it back by changing a logo or two, telling the officials to enforce the rules they were supposed to enforce two years ago, and bring back fans by plotting a marketing plan that is more secretive than nuclear weapons in North Korea?

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Sorry for the rant.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bettman didn't ruin this game, and it's not his fault that Mess, Ronnie, and others don't get a farewell tour...the blame is on the teams that overspent for years on players, and on the players association for the lockout lasting as long as it has, so don't blame Gary Bettman for them retiring. Get a clue.

Bettman didn't ruin this game, and it's not his fault that Mess, Ronnie, and others don't get a farewell tour...the blame is on the teams that overspent for years on players, and on the players association for the lockout lasting as long as it has, so don't blame Gary Bettman for them retiring. Get a clue.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Moving teams from established hockey hotbeds like Hartford, Quebec City, and Winnipeg and putting them in sinkholes like Miami, Tampa Bay, and Carolina hasn't had any effect on the NHL? As commissioner, Bettman represents ownership. Was he not smart enough to see years ago that rising salaries were going to wipe out the game? That's his job. As commissioner, he enacted some rule changes designed to help the game. Instead, we got a 2004 season full of ice slugs and neutral zone traps like the Wild and Devils play. In one of the more thuggish incidents I've ever seen, Todd Bertuzzi serves a fairly minor regular season suspension, is suspended for the playoffs, then gets banned for a year. Oh...but since we didn't play last year, we'll life the ban this year? Meanwhile, the guy he almost beat into a coma will never play hockey again. Way to throw the hammer down, Gary, and stop permitting violence like that to ruin a great game.

Go get a clue yourself, BinaIsGod.

Moving teams from established hockey hotbeds like Hartford, Quebec City, and Winnipeg and putting them in sinkholes like Miami, Tampa Bay, and Carolina hasn't had any effect on the NHL? As commissioner, Bettman represents ownership. Was he not smart enough to see years ago that rising salaries were going to wipe out the game? That's his job. Go get a clue yourself.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, that lineup doesn't work. Florida (Miami) and Tampa Bay were both expansion teams. Hartford moved to Carolina, Winnipeg to Phoenix, and Quebec City to Denver. :D

EDIT: I do agree though. Hockey should still be in these three venues.

Actually, that lineup doesn't work.  Florida (Miami) and Tampa Bay were both expansion teams.  Hartford moved to Carolina, Winnipeg to Phoenix, and Quebec City to Denver.  :D

EDIT:  I do agree though.  Hockey should still be in these three venues.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was just pointing out that teams left areas that love hockey for those that had really never known the game, not specifically pointing out a Florida "move" from Winnipeg. I do know what teams moved where and which ones were expansion teams.

By the way, redwing77, the Wings just aren't the same without Paul Coffey back on the blueline. 1995, baby...we were robbed!

Oh, I love that argument. He brought the NHL to Dallas and Denver and look at the success of those two franchises and attendance figures. Wow. Easy to blow attendance figures thru the roof when your cities land Stanley Cups in their first year of existence (Colorado 1996) and field consistent contenders and eventual winners (as with Minnesota moving in 1993 and winning the title in 1999). How does Tampa Bay not sell out a major playoff game and how on earth do they draw a paltry 20,000 people to their Stanley Cup parade while 50,00 people welcome the Flames upon their return to Calgary? I hate to break the news to folks who think the future of the NHL is in Raleigh-Durham. It's not. While approximately 88% of TV's in Canada were tuned into the World Cup of Hockey last fall, people in the US barely knew it was going on. In fact, while walking to the Xcel Energy Center wearing my USA jersey last fall, more than one person stopped me and asked me who the Wild were playing that night.

I don't recall I ever said Bettman was the ONLY and SINGLE reason the NHL is what it is (or isn't) right now. But if you're happy paying $39 to watch an exhibition game or $50-$125 to watch a middle-of-the-season 1-0 barnburner between the Wild and Nashville, more power to you. If you think that Bettman did a favor to the NHL by bringing it to the land of NASCAR and pork rhinds, then I guess he's your guy. Surely, he's not the only reason the NHL cancelled an entire season...Bob Goodenow was an idiot, too, and the owners didn't help themselves by failing to police their own payouts to players, but Bettman is the head of the organization and in the last 11 years, it's gone from displacing the NBA as #3 in the big 4 of sports to being wiped off the map.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right. Instead of trying to reach out to fans from across the country, lets keep it as small of a sport as possible. Let's not expand into the "Land of Nascar" (Don't get me started on that, but NASCAR is the 2nd most-watched sport in the U.S. and tracks extend from New Hampshire to California.) and instead just keep it a mostly Canadian/Upper U.S. sport. Let's let Canada keep it's fascination with hockey and win a majority of World Championships. Why would we, the greatest country in the world ever want to give kids in the south a chance to learn hockey, to become some of the best players in the world, and to continually challenge Canada and other countries on the national stage. Damn, I can't believe Bettman had the balls to move into another dumb southern region. They're probably too busy eating collard greens, playing with their pigs, and making cotton. :D

So what does any of this have to do with the fact that the Minnesota Wild are playing in Grand Forks. And what does Minnesota building a brand new football stadium have to do with the Ralph?

:)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think these guys should start their own thread. NHL Hockey...Anyone going? :D

So what does any of this have to do with the fact that the Minnesota Wild are playing in Grand Forks. And what does Minnesota building a brand new football stadium have to do with the Ralph?

:D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nothing. I just went on a long-winded rant.

My whole point is the NHL is fumbling around trying to get back on the map of sports. Unfortunately, no one cares. My suggestion was that instead of just going thru the motions and hoping people catch on again to the sport, the NHL needs to shake up its image. I didn't mean to incite a riot here. I love the NHL as much as most fans here and desperately want it to succeed. The question is...how can it? I don't believe playing meaningless exhibition games in Grand Forks in September/October is the answer. It might mean some lost revenue for a night, but wouldn't a mid-winter game between the Wild and Blackhawks or Wild and Red Wings generate some interest in Grand Forks that might make for some long-term fan support for a team 300 miles away in the same way that people in Dickinson or Watford City follow the Minnesota Vikings since they're the "home" team? Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it would.

I think these guys should start their own thread. NHL Hockey...Anyone going? :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Easy, stupid-cia. Whoops, sorry, I went 'KNOWTHEFACTS" on ya there for a second. My apology. :)

Seriously, I'm just kidding. Everyone here needs to lighten up a bit. No hard feelings towards anyone, including Mory00.

Easy, stupid-cia. Whoops, sorry, I went 'KNOWTHEFACTS" on ya there for a second. My apology. :)

Seriously, I'm just kidding. Everyone here needs to lighten up a bit. No hard feelings towards anyone, including Mory00.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No hard feelings for you either... My point is that you were so quick to blame Bettman and I was pointing out the fact that he's part of the problem, but you act like he could solve everything. There are a$$hole owners out there who do things so they can save a buck. It's not Bettman's fault they are trying to make money. Thats why most owners buy teams. Not because they enjoy the sport, but because they want to make money.

I think had Bettman not gotten those expansion franchises where they are, then hockey would have a much tougher time getting back on its feet. But because you have more than just a tiny interest in the south because they have teams to cheer for, you have a better chance of getting MORE people back.

And your point about people wanting to see a fightfest instead of a 2-1 clutch and grab is irrelevant. I'd rather see a bunch of basketball players try and skate than watch anything with clutch and grab. If you give people the option of a 2-1 game, where it's not clutch and grab (like this year is going to be, much like college hockey turned into) then people who are serious, or at least those who are "dreaming to be gretzky and lemieux" would rather have that.

Either way, you look at Canada and what do you see? Yes, they've lost franchises and I think that's bad for the sport just like you. But they also play hockey in every city. We don't have that in the U.S. Whether attendance sucks or not, it will pick up. And even if it doesn't, does that mean that Anaheim, Florida, and Tampa are bad ideas? Either way, you've got hockey at least implanted in SOME people's minds and thats a start.

I'm not expecting overnight results, but if we want to turn into the Canada's, the Russia's in the future, then we need to start planting the seed throughout our own country.

Finally, the baseball team that didn't make the olympics was filled with mostly single and double-a players. The setup of the tournament was that if you lose one game, you're done. USA lost by one run in the championship game. Joe Mauer played in that game, but was benched in the final inning with one man on, for someone who was not Joe Mauer. Dumb coach.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I can't go a'la 'Stupid-cia' and call you 'KnowNothing'. Given the lenght of your posts, we know you know it all. But seriously, just kiddin'. ;);)

Well, I can't go a'la 'Stupid-cia' and call you 'KnowNothing'. Given the lenght of your posts, we know you know it all. But seriously, just kiddin'. ;);)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The stupid-cia comment was meant facetiously in regards to KnowTheFacts and his/her rants on the Sioux nickname thread. I'm sorry if you took offense. I hardly know it all.

For the sake of brevity, I'm not going to quote Mory's post. I'm just going to respond to it.

Bettman, as you say, is a problem, but he's not THE problem. So, yes, I'm agreeing with you. Bettman is a lot like Selig in many ways. He's very deep in the owners' pockets. From my understanding Faye Vincent got fired from the MLB top spot because he was in the middle and didn't care whether his moves pissed off the players or the owners. Selig and Bettman don't care about pissing off the players provided the owners are happy. That's part of the problem. The other part, as you mention, is the owners. I seem to recall the players union making a last ditch effort to compromise, one that would have made things closer to the original mark but still gave the players some privileges close to the February deadline but the owners didn't bat an eye at shutting it down because they'd rather stay off the ice than try to salvage a season. This was the ONLY reason why I was supportive of that Florida conglomerate that wanted to buy the entire NHL. It would solve that problem by getting rid of all the greed and consolidating it into one greedy corporation, eliminating the headache of trying to remember who it is you hate. You can just point to the corporation and there you go. :D

Whether Bettman really is the problem or not still makes the biggest loser stay the way it is: the fans. There isn't one fan out there of the NHL that benefitted from the lockout. Right now, what are the NHL clubs and the NHL front office doing to get the fans back? Some are doing something. Others, Minnesota is one of them, just expect us to shrug our shoulders and say "Well, we're stupid so we'll blindly go back to support the greediest stingiest organization in the NHL"

Sad as that sounds, I expect Minnesota's assumption to be what will actually happen.