SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

I have no specific comment on Mario, because I've seen him play as much as I've seen Trupp, Cichy, Toews, Kristo, etc. play, which is to say, not at all. I also totally appreciate that an ideal hockey team has a mix of different types of players, and guys who might be a little short of skill but are hard to play against play a role.

However, it is hard to see how the numbers add up in the fall of 2008. UND loses Kaip, Radke, Oshie and Duncan up front, and Bina, Chorney and Finley on the blueline (assuming likely early departures). That's 4 and 3. They have Cichy, Toews, Gregoire, Bruneteau, Hextall and now Lamoureux coming in, plus Blood and Gleason. That's 6 and 2. Of the 6, it's hard to see any of them getting pushed back to 2009. Cichy and Toews are national recruits, not the kind of guys who play an extra year of juniors. Gregoire and Bruneteau are both playing an extra year of juniors after their draft year already, and both were drafted. Hextall and now Mario are also playing their extra year of junior hockey this year. It looks like a heck of a class, but there might be an awful lot of forwards on the team that year.

I should add that it seems odd to those of us who aren't privy to the plan, but I'm sure the coaching staff has next fall well considered. It'll just be interesting to see how it shakes out.

No, I understand that most of the brother duos have done awesome here at UND. I am happy for Mario, no doubt, because he is one of us now, and nothing will take that away. I just don't understand where he fits in.

ask hak, im sure he'll tell ya :silly:

I have no specific comment on Mario, because I've seen him play as much as I've seen Trupp, Cichy, Toews, Kristo, etc. play, which is to say, not at all. I also totally appreciate that an ideal hockey team has a mix of different types of players, and guys who might be a little short of skill but are hard to play against play a role.

However, it is hard to see how the numbers add up in the fall of 2008. UND loses Kaip, Radke, Oshie and Duncan up front, and Bina, Chorney and Finley on the blueline (assuming likely early departures). That's 4 and 3. They have Cichy, Toews, Gregoire, Bruneteau, Hextall and now Lamoureux coming in, plus Blood and Gleason. That's 6 and 2. Of the 6, it's hard to see any of them getting pushed back to 2009. Cichy and Toews are national recruits, not the kind of guys who play an extra year of juniors. Gregoire and Bruneteau are both playing an extra year of juniors after their draft year already, and both were drafted. Hextall and now Mario are also playing their extra year of junior hockey this year. It looks like a heck of a class, but there might be an awful lot of forwards on the team that year.

I should add that it seems odd to those of us who aren't privy to the plan, but I'm sure the coaching staff has next fall well considered. It'll just be interesting to see how it shakes out.

good points and yes im sure hak and company know what they are doing with the number of recruits they are bringing in

The coaches will usually bring in more than what is lost. For example, after 04/05 we lost 6 forwards and 4 d-men and in 05/06 we brought in 7 forwards and 5 d-men.

Redwing you obviously have no "inside information"........... :silly:

First, did I ever claim to have inside information?

Second, I can tell everyone else did because no one was surprised by this...oh wait.

Mario strung UND along the first time around and now suddenly wants to come here. Great! Happy day! Mario is truly going to be someone special with the Sioux because he's going to have to work harder, in my opinion, to crack the lineup than some of the more highly touted recruits. This means he could turn out to be another Fabian. UND could always use players like Fabian.

Perhaps I'm wrong. I dunno.

I wonder how this is going to affect our recruiting efforts for other players we've been looking at.

First, did I ever claim to have inside information?

Second, I can tell everyone else did because no one was surprised by this...oh wait.

Mario strung UND along the first time around and now suddenly wants to come here. Great! Happy day! Mario is truly going to be someone special with the Sioux because he's going to have to work harder, in my opinion, to crack the lineup than some of the more highly touted recruits. This means he could turn out to be another Fabian. UND could always use players like Fabian.

Perhaps I'm wrong. I dunno.

I wonder how this is going to affect our recruiting efforts for other players we've been looking at.

For one i wasn't surprised i mentioned mario recently because i had word of his commitment but there is a certain sensitivity to these kind of issues so i couldnt specifiacly say that he had decided to come to und.

The biggest reason I think Mario will not be here is that since the Sioux first offered a scholarship his stock has plummeted...

What an idiot this poster is... :silly:

I do wonder where he fits in given we will now have 19 forwards eligible next year (though we are likely to lose 2-3). I also wonder if any scholarship money is actually involved or if he is looking to walk on.

Fienhage could come next year if Finley leaves early.

Fienhage could come next year if Finley leaves early.

Yeah that could happen and seems likely if they don't sign a few D for next year. As of right now, Blood is the only D coming for sure next year and we will very likely lose Chorney and Finley and the graduation of Bina & Radke. I would guess that Hak would prefer for Gleason and Fienhage to play a year of juniors first and stick to being 09's so does anyone know of any D we are looking at specifically for next year. I heard we had an offer for Leddy but he's an 09.

I count 19 forwards eligible for 2008. It is very possible that 1 or 2 more forwards could have break out years and leave, BUT, that is alot of forwards. Count me in the camp that thinks that Duncan will graduate here. I bolded players that I absolutely think would have to be in the lineup. But that leaves alot of talent sitting. I have to assume Mario is coming as a walk on.

TJ Oshie (95% gone)

Ryan Duncan (50% gone)

Andrew Kozek

Ryan Martens

Brad Miller

Matt Watkins

Chris VandeVelde

Darcy Zajac

Michael Forney

Brad Malone

Evan Trupp

Matt Frattin

Brent Davidson

David Toews

Brett Bruneteau

Mike Cichy

Brett Hextall

Jason Gregoire

Mario Lamoureux

I count 19 forwards eligible for 2008. It is very possible that 1 or 2 more forwards could have break out years and leave, BUT, that is alot of forwards. Count me in the camp that thinks that Duncan will graduate here. I bolded players that I absolutely think would have to be in the lineup. But that leaves alot of talent sitting. I have to assume Mario is coming as a walk on.

TJ Oshie (95% gone)

Ryan Duncan (50% gone)

Andrew Kozek

Ryan Martens

Brad Miller

Matt Watkins

Chris VandeVelde

Darcy Zajac

Michael Forney

Brad Malone

Evan Trupp

Matt Frattin

Brent Davidson

David Toews

Brett Bruneteau

Mike Cichy

Brett Hextall

Jason Gregoire

Mario Lamoureux

That looks like one tough forward line-up to crack even if Duncs leaves. Brad said on his blog that Lamoureux will be on scholarship next year so you're free to guess how much. I would guess that we got him for quite the discount compared to what we offered last year.

maybe davidson could be out after this year? and there is a possibility that someone could leave early unexpectedly. also, schlossman said mario is on scholly(i dont know how much, probably 1/4 or something).

Why do you question whether or not Davidson is out next year. Do you know something you would like to share with the rest of us.

Well if Oshie and Duncs are gone. That leaves 17. It is VERY possible that if VV plays a full season like he played the end of last he could also go pro (remember he played a year in juniors after HS). Then we have a large number of Juniors who if they have a great year may be inclined to take the money and run. If (when) the Sioux win number 8 that typically decreases the chances that a player will stay.

All that said, that is alot of forwards...

maybe davidson could be out after this year? and there is a possibility that someone could leave early unexpectedly. also, schlossman said mario is on scholly(i dont know how much, probably 1/4 or something).

yeah he will be and no sioux player gets a absolute full scholly as it helps in these types of situations

Why do you question whether or not Davidson is out next year. Do you know something you would like to share with the rest of us.

no, its just my educated guess. he was not exactly a highly sought after player. im thinking that und was the only american college to give him an offer.

After Duncan and Oshie (who I believe will both be gone for sure) it's hard to ID anyone who might leave. It would seem to make sense that any further departures will be for reasons not obvious to us fans at board-length from the realities of what is going on. Someone might be poised for a breakout year that they can use to vault into the pro ranks. I hope so! But it doesn't seem like anyone is on the same sort of track that a Parise, Stafford, Toews, etc has been on. I.e. other than the aforementioned 2 there doesn't seem to be too many guys that us fans can easily project as leaving.

17 forwards seems a little heavy on the roster, so this should provide quite the fodder for us smart talkers this season.

no, its just my educated guess. he was not exactly a highly sought after player. im thinking that und was the only american college to give him an offer.

An educated guess implies that you do know a thing or two about Davidson. So which UND coach are you? :silly:

Seriously, he was never on anyone elses radar because last year was his break out season. Did you happen to read the article that drew comparisons to the NHL's Penner. If he is here only one year it will more likely be due to some pro team executing a pre-emptive signing of an undrafted prospect.

So you don't believe in Hakstol's ability to judge talent? Or do you think he is just bringing him in for a year to fill a void, and then will dispose of him? Either way, doesn't sound like you give Hakstol much credit. I don't want to put words in your mouth, but when you make a statement like that, there are only so many conclusions to draw. The same things were said of Scott Foyt from people on this board for a couple of years, and that didn't turn out to be the case at all. If you work hard and pull your weight in practice you will be around if you wish to, unless there are off-ice situations.