SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

not sure on mario, did he sign somewhere after his bro got into the air force or still in juniors??

Alex Simonson with a good season could very well become a recruit or walk on. I think it will be a cold day in hell before Mario sees a scholarship offer from UND.

BTW, Mario is uncommitted.

Alex Simonson with a good season could very well become a recruit or walk on. I think it will be a cold day in hell before Mario sees a scholarship offer from UND.

BTW, Mario is uncommitted.

I was about to say that if Mario walked away from a schollie offer earlier (which allegedly UND did offer him one) then I doubt Hak would offer him one now.

I'm curious though. If Mario was willing to go to NMU just to play with his brother, why not commit to Air Force?

I was about to say that if Mario walked away from a schollie offer earlier (which allegedly UND did offer him one) then I doubt Hak would offer him one now.

I'm curious though. If Mario was willing to go to NMU just to play with his brother, why not commit to Air Force?

i dont think its that easy to get into the air force :angry:

im sure someone here has info on mario!

i dont think its that easy to get into the air force :angry:

im sure someone here has info on mario!

I just dont think its unlikely for him to possibly end up here as some of you may think for instance Jason Gregoire goes to Denver over UND and then decommites to Denver and comes here coaches to not have hard feelings if the top end talent ends up skating for them in the end. that is all that matters to them

I just dont think its unlikely for him to possibly end up here as some of you may think for instance Jason Gregoire goes to Denver over UND and then decommites to Denver and comes here coaches to not have hard feelings if the top end talent ends up skating for them in the end. that is all that matters to them

so do you know something about the situation? may he end up in a sioux uni or are you just making a point? i would like to see him in green and white for sure

looks like hes a left handed d man, class of 2009, i fund him listed at 5'10, 160lbs, hes another young one and those numbers may be old as well, they are from this link

http://www.luciacamps.com/rosters.php?team=1

USA, are there any local grand forks kids that will be on the radar? just havent been to up to date on the younger kids there. thanks.

Nothing that I have heard of. For 2008, I think we are solidified at forward and possible one more d-man, but I doubt he would be from Grand Forks. Simonson is probably the best player out of the Grand Forks area currently, and he is a right wing and could come at the latest 2010. For 09, there will probably be at least two more scholarship offers for foward. Kristo is already a right wing and there will be an offer for Budish, who is a right wing. After that they may go for a left wing player, so I'm not sure if there would be room. As for Mario, I would think they are solidified for 08 at foward and I doubt there would be any scholarship room there.

Nothing that I have heard of. For 2008, I think we are solidified at forward and possible one more d-man, but I doubt he would be from Grand Forks. Simonson is probably the best player out of the Grand Forks area currently, and he is a right wing and could come at the latest 2010. For 09, there will probably be at least two more scholarship offers for foward. Kristo is already a right wing and there will be an offer for Budish, who is a right wing. After that they may go for a left wing player, so I'm not sure if there would be room. As for Mario, I would think they are solidified for 08 at foward and I doubt there would be any scholarship room there.

Simonson might have some potential, but he hasn't really even done anything in high school. Until I see some of that potential, I would say Ladouceur, Galbreath or Meland would be the best Grand Forks has to offer, none of which are probably Sioux material at this point.

I do based upon the fact that Mario had a sholarship offer from UND a long ways back. Then he hemmed and hawed and committed to NMU. Once that commitment took place, UND naturally lost interest. Now that he's left NMU, I don't see UND going through that again. Especially since they are pretty much stocked on 2008 recruits.

If Mario wishes to walk on, I don't see Hakstol stopping him. I'm sure he'd be allowed to.

I just don't see him coming to UND unless he gets zero scholarship offers before his 21st birthday. I think that's unlikely, so, he'll more than likely end up somewhere else.

Maybe a CCHA team or ECACHL team or even AHA. Quinnipiac likes picking up transfers. If he does end up in the WCHA, I'd expect it to be UAA, MSUM, MTU, or UMD.

No, I do not have any "inside" info. This is just a hunch on my part.

I do based upon the fact that Mario had a sholarship offer from UND a long ways back. Then he hemmed and hawed and committed to NMU. Once that commitment took place, UND naturally lost interest. Now that he's left NMU, I don't see UND going through that again. Especially since they are pretty much stocked on 2008 recruits.

If Mario wishes to walk on, I don't see Hakstol stopping him. I'm sure he'd be allowed to.

I just don't see him coming to UND unless he gets zero scholarship offers before his 21st birthday. I think that's unlikely, so, he'll more than likely end up somewhere else.

Maybe a CCHA team or ECACHL team or even AHA. Quinnipiac likes picking up transfers. If he does end up in the WCHA, I'd expect it to be UAA, MSUM, MTU, or UMD.

How much of this do we really know? Sometimes people post things as fact when it's more speculation, or an assumption based on the limited exposure us internet experts have to the situation.

I don't know myself, but do we really know Mario had a scholarship offer, and for what and when it was? Do we know that Mario hemmed and hawed? Or was he possibly up front with the coaching staff on how and when he would make his decision? And if he did have an offer which he rejected, do we know that somehow the coaches wouldn't "put themselves through that again" based on what Mario's reasons were?

Maybe you know these things, but from what I recall of the situation I think a lot of this is questionable. If my memory is accurate (often isn't, I admit) then we do a diservice to everyone involved by posting a conjecture as fact.

If in fact the situation happened as you describe, I apologize for ascribing this criticism to your post but I believe it is still relevant to many posts you see on this and other boards.

I have no problem with anyone posting their opinion, but phrase it that way, unless it truly is fact.

How much of this do we really know? Sometimes people post things as fact when it's more speculation, or an assumption based on the limited exposure us internet experts have to the situation.

I don't know myself, but do we really know Mario had a scholarship offer, and for what and when it was? Do we know that Mario hemmed and hawed? Or was he possibly up front with the coaching staff on how and when he would make his decision? And if he did have an offer which he rejected, do we know that somehow the coaches wouldn't "put themselves through that again" based on what Mario's reasons were?

Maybe you know these things, but from what I recall of the situation I think a lot of this is questionable. If my memory is accurate (often isn't, I admit) then we do a diservice to everyone involved by posting a conjecture as fact.

If in fact the situation happened as you describe, I apologize for ascribing this criticism to your post but I believe it is still relevant to many posts you see on this and other boards.

I have no problem with anyone posting their opinion, but phrase it that way, unless it truly is fact.

the last that i heard und had not closed off mario as a recruit and mario had not removed und from his list of choices and that he could possibly end up wearing kelly green even though he did not accept a scholarship offer the first time around.

The biggest reason I think Mario will not be here is that since the Sioux first offered a scholarship his stock has plummeted...

he could walk on if need be, why has his stock plummeted? just wondering? he still has a year left to play in juniors correct?

on a side note.........i believe there is a reason phil is the only one with that last name playing for the sioux in my opinion, there is something to it as phil could have easily ended up as a gopher when ryan and danny went there.

• 2 weeks later...

wow is this suprising news and im very glad to hear this!! really glad!!

Sounds like a hard worker with decent talent, but is this a case where getting the family ties hurts us in a way because Hak might feel obligated to keep him on the team, even if he doesn't deserve it?

I'm not saying that I think this is going to happen, just hypothetically speaking, because he doesn't seem to be a top recruit.

Sounds like a hard worker with decent talent, but is this a case where getting the family ties hurts us in a way because Hak might feel obligated to keep him on the team, even if he doesn't deserve it?

I'm not saying that I think this is going to happen, just hypothetically speaking, because he doesn't seem to be a top recruit.

remember not every recruit is a top tier recruit, thats impossible to think that they are. hak isnt gona keep him on the team because of family ties at all. thats kind of ridiculous to even say. you need the grinders to go with the blue chippers to win titles and thats what mario is. also he had a offer on the table over a year ago i believe from und so its not like they just grabbed him to be nice. the kid can play hockey like the rest of his family.

remember not every recruit is a top tier recruit, thats impossible to think that they are. hak isnt gona keep him on the team because of family ties at all. thats kind of ridiculous to even say. you need the grinders to go with the blue chippers to win titles and thats what mario is. also he had a offer on the table over a year ago i believe from und so its not like they just grabbed him to be nice. the kid can play hockey like the rest of his family.

The thing is, he isn't a very big guy to be a grinder really. I'm sure he can play, and I know you can't get every top recruit, but for a class that seemed to be pretty full, especially with forwards. I'm sure he'll be a great kid, I just don't see where he fits in...

I'm guessing he's going to try and walk-on, I don't think there'd be too much in the way of a scholarship. Who knows, I'm not that smart, hehe.

The thing is, he isn't a very big guy to be a grinder really. I'm sure he can play, and I know you can't get every top recruit, but for a class that seemed to be pretty full, especially with forwards. I'm sure he'll be a great kid, I just don't see where he fits in...

I'm guessing he's going to try and walk-on, I don't think there'd be too much in the way of a scholarship. Who knows, I'm not that smart, hehe.

yeah like he says in the article he will work to earn a spot, you dont have to be a certain height to be a grinder, they come in all shapes and sizes :silly: he will fit in and be a nice role player

.... but is this a case where getting the family ties hurts us in a way because Hak might feel obligated to keep him on the team ...

Last time I heard that notion was some goalie, I forget his name, but his brother's name is Zach (and he's a Devil of a player).

Redwing you obviously have no "inside information"........... :silly:

Last time I heard that notion was some goalie, I forget his name, but his brother's name is Zach (and he's a Devil of a player).

No, I understand that most of the brother duos have done awesome here at UND. I am happy for Mario, no doubt, because he is one of us now, and nothing will take that away. I just don't understand where he fits in.

This has nothing to do with family ties, the coaches will take a player if they feel he can play regardless of the name on the back. In this case, why not take a grinder that will come here on 1/4 or less scholarship so he can play for his hometown team.