SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

He is from Eastview HS. There is huge potential there, but he will benefit greatly from the superb UND coaching and facilities. I saw him play 1 game and his skating was rough. Not only is he big, but he also plays physical. Prototypical Sioux Oak Tree.

I have heard he's a very good skater.

Maybe not the next Travis Roche but that's ok too.

is he still in high school? i know he was drafted late in the ushl draft but not sure what his status is??

He was a junior at Eastview last year. He's listed on team southeast for the fall high school elite league which usually means he will play high school this year. I would imagine he will take a similar route to Lapoint and play a year of juniors before coming here (if he is committed) in 09.

I have heard he's a very good skater.

Maybe not the next Travis Roche but that's ok too.

I agree with Dagies.....one of his former coaches said that his greatest strength was skating. I believe the coach said that for a player as big as Fienhage he skates extremely well. If he has any weaknesses, I don't believe skating is one of them.

Sioux add physical defenseman

Recent defenseman recruits at UND include Jake Marto, Derrick LaPoint and Joe Gleason - three highly dynamic offensive talents.

The latest verbal commitment is a throwback.

Eastview High School defenseman Corey Fienhage (pronounced finn-ah-gee), who will come to UND in 2008 or 2009, is a 6-foot-4, 210-pound physical presence who makes his mark by clearing out opponents in front of the net.

Now that's a big kid. :silly:

Watching both of them play, I could see Corey equalling the offensive talent of David Fischer, but much bigger/tougher/meaner.

He has played well at USA camps he has been to. He will just need to get used to the pace of the game at UND vs. high school.

You've watched him play, I haven't, but isn't that expecting a bit much? I don't think we're talking Chris Pronger here. Sounds like Fienhage is a different type of player.

A couple of updates.

2008:

Forwards:

Done, counting Oshie and Duncan we have 18 forwards, this was likely done on purpose to decrease the size of the 2009 class. The huge class every 4 years is a nasty cycle.

Defense (I think we will need at least 1 more defender, maybe 2):

Corbin McPherson - Cowichan Valley - Big Player, 88 birthdate, 3rd round pick.

Brett Kostolansky - Shattuck-St. Mary's - Top defender, but I'm not sure we will have room.

Other???

2009: (Because of a large roster in 2008 this class may be more normal size)

Forwards:

Ben Hanowski - Little Falls - Gopher fan with a Sioux coach, if he gives us a chance I think he will see that UND fits his style and development needs better.

Zack Budish - Edina - lets hope Finley and Gleason are doing some talking

Sam Alfieri - Shattuck St.Mary's - yet another great Shattuck Forward

Derek Lee - Salmon Arm BCHL - Would he wait until 2009, if he looks at how patience worked for Duncan, he might

Cam Lamoreux - Drumheller AJHL - Family Ties

Tyler Landman - Roseau - Smaller dynamic forward.

Danny Mattson - Holy Angles

Defense:

Matt Bruneteau - Yup, that family

Ben Hughes - Shattuck-St. Mary's - I know nothing

Ben Montgomery - Shattuck-St. Mary's - I know nothing

2010:

Forwards:

Greg Lamoreux - Elite Canadian Player

Brett Hebel - Warroad - I'll let the locals comment - Maybe WHL

Nate Schmidt - St. Cloud Cathedral - Likely to Minnesota

Emerson Etem - Shattuck St. Mary's - top line 92

Guan Wang - Shattuck St. Mary's - top line 92

Defense:

Nick Mattson - Chaska

Nick Bruneteau - Yup, that family

Dominic Racobaldo - Shattuck St. Mary's - top defender 92

Siouxnami's wish list

1) Greg Lamoreux 09-10

2) Nick Mattson 09-10

3) Ben Hanowski 09

Nate Schmidt - St. Cloud Cathedral - Likely to Minnesota

Stop writing that! He's a huge SCSU fan and has been quoted saying he'd LOVE to play for his hometown team! :blush:

Sorry for getting all bent out of shape, but Schmidt has the potential to be the best prospect in SCSU history, so I'm just a little protective. :D

Stop writing that! He's a huge SCSU fan and has been quoted saying he'd LOVE to play for his hometown team! :blush:

Sorry for getting all bent out of shape, but Schmidt has the potential to be the best prospect in SCSU history, so I'm just a little protective. :D

maybe he will help you win a NC$$ game :) i know, low blow, just having some fun, i use to like this summer thing when younger, now it blows, lets bring on sioux hockey!!

maybe he will help you win a NC$$ game :) i know, low blow, just having some fun, i use to like this summer thing when younger, now it blows, lets bring on sioux hockey!!

Easy for you to say living in Arizona. We know the weather changes that occur when Sioux hockey starts, so it becomes a tug of war between our conventional wisdom and our love of hockey. Some would question our wisdom living in North Dakota, but then again, there are Sioux hockey, and Sioux football, and Sioux basketball, and good people and ...

Easy for you to say living in Arizona. We know the weather changes that occur when Sioux hockey starts, so it becomes a tug of war between our conventional wisdom and our love of hockey. Some would question our wisdom living in North Dakota, but then again, there are Sioux hockey, and Sioux football, and Sioux basketball, and good people and ...

oh trust me, i know exactly how the weather is back home, know it well, there is a fine line but im one to bet people will take it if they get sioux hockey in the package :) hell, ill take my 75 degrees everyday in my package as well with sioux hockey, but i would i trade that for 10 degrees to be at every sioux game home and away? hell yeah i would........ although i do enjoy the 10 below when i do come home for some games in g forks or bemidji, call me crazy :D

This was about a year ago, but I had heard that Schmidt had his heart set on Colorado College...don't know why, but a very avid St. Cloud Cathedral fan told me this. Also, that SCSU was without a doubt in the mix

• 2 weeks later...