SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Recruits

dagies

Well you obviously interpreted my initial statement wrong. You took my comment about playing "offseason" hockey literally. What I mean by that is the Elite League and USA Hockey festivals are SHOWCASE leagues/tourneys, which is fine if he plays well in those. All I am saying is I would rather have seen Hak do similar to what he did with VandeVelde, play in a DEVELOPMENT league for a year, than come and play college hockey. Oh and by the way, Oshie played Minnesota high school hockey, not to add on the fact that he also played in those Elite Leagues and Select Hockey. Playing Minnesota high school hockey and eleven games in the USHL is much different than Wisconsin high school hockey.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you obviously interpreted my initial statement wrong. You took my comment about playing "offseason" hockey literally. What I mean by that is the Elite League and USA Hockey festivals are SHOWCASE leagues/tourneys, which is fine if he plays well in those. All I am saying is I would rather have seen Hak do similar to what he did with VandeVelde, play in a DEVELOPMENT league for a year, than come and play college hockey. Oh and by the way, Oshie played Minnesota high school hockey, not to add on the fact that he also played in those Elite Leagues and Select Hockey. Playing Minnesota high school hockey and eleven games in the USHL is much different than Wisconsin high school hockey.

Now your just talking about nickles and dimes...let it be

Ok, I'll stop here, here's a good page for you, http://www.wisconsinprephockey.net/index.p...=1242&Itemid=43. These are all the kids in 2004-2005(sorry couldn't get 05-06) that are from Wisconsin and playing college hockey, only two of them come directly from Wisconsin high schools. Luke Kohtala is one of the two and he didn't play for the Badgers this last year.

Chuck, do you get a marketing commision for LaPoint? :sad:

I am happy the Sioux have LaPoint, but would like to see him in the USHL for a year just to gain some weight. His listed weight and photo imply skinny, which is not good for the WCHA. However, if Hak brings him in, I'm sure it was the correct decision.

May I see yours? Didn't know you had to give credentials to give your opinion on this site.

I've said time and again, I'm not a hockey talent expert. I'm a fan. Part of being a fan is supporting your team. I may be notorious for blasting poster's on this board, but I try to refrain from blasting a player. You see, it takes a lot of talent, sacrifice, dedication, hard work, and other intagibles to reach the level of skill that these guys have. I refuse to criticize a player that hasn't even had a chance to put on his skates and a Sioux jersey. Hell, I would consider being recruited by a hockey power like UND an achievement in and of itself. If you want to slam someone, slam me, I enjoy it. If you want to establish credibility with the rest of the good posters here you might want to take a different approach. Opinions are fine, just be careful how it is done, especially when it is in regards to players. Aside from all of this, I'm feeling rather melancholy this morning, you are probably an OK guy, just a little misguided, and I don't really want to argue with you.

Given the recruits Hak, Berry, and Eades have brought in, it's extremely tough to critisize any recruit based on where they come from; if the coaches think LaPoint is ready this fall, he'll be here, and no doubt deserves to be here. If all the slots are full, a year in the USHL is good for anyone.

I personally am excited to see LaPoint in a Sioux jersey regardless of when it is. I trust the coaches will make the right decision on that. A friend of mine who lives in Mosinee has a son who has played against LaPoint and said he will be a stud at UND. Let's hope he's right.

I personally am excited to see LaPoint in a Sioux jersey regardless of when it is. I trust the coaches will make the right decision on that. A friend of mine who lives in Mosinee has a son who has played against LaPoint and said he will be a stud at UND. Let's hope he's right.

I personally think it is cool that we have taken a recruit out of becky's back yard. I really don't care when he comes to UND, I am just happy to have him. I think unless UND loses a few more recruits there isn't going to be any room next season any ways.

I've said time and again, I'm not a hockey talent expert. I'm a fan. Part of being a fan is supporting your team. I may be notorious for blasting poster's on this board, but I try to refrain from blasting a player. You see, it takes a lot of talent, sacrifice, dedication, hard work, and other intagibles to reach the level of skill that these guys have. I refuse to criticize a player that hasn't even had a chance to put on his skates and a Sioux jersey. Hell, I would consider being recruited by a hockey power like UND an achievement in and of itself. If you want to slam someone, slam me, I enjoy it. If you want to establish credibility with the rest of the good posters here you might want to take a different approach. Opinions are fine, just be careful how it is done, especially when it is in regards to players. Aside from all of this, I'm feeling rather melancholy this morning, you are probably an OK guy, just a little misguided, and I don't really want to argue with you.

I can't believe I just read THETRIOUXPER claiming he refrains from blasting players. That was a good one.

USA Hockey wasn't blasting Lapoint. He was criticizing his competition. There's a difference. Not once has USA Hockey questioned LaPoint's talent or ability to play at this level, just his readiness and it's a valid point. If you take a look at every recruit who will join Div 1 college hockey next year I bet that the vast majority of them if not all have played much better competition over the last few years than Wisconsin High School Hockey. Sure he's played in some "elite" camps, tourneys, and festivals but so has every good recruit. The bottom line is that his main source of competition, Wisconsin High School Hockey, is weaker than most other recruits competition. He should've gone to the USHL for his senior season of high school.

I can't believe I just read THETRIOUXPER claiming he refrains from blasting players. That was a good one.

USA Hockey wasn't blasting Lapoint. He was criticizing his competition. There's a difference. Not once has USA Hockey questioned LaPoint's talent or ability to play at this level, just his readiness and it's a valid point. If you take a look at every recruit who will join Div 1 college hockey next year I bet that the vast majority of them if not all have played much better competition over the last few years than Wisconsin High School Hockey. Sure he's played in some "elite" camps, tourneys, and festivals but so has every good recruit. The bottom line is that his main source of competition, Wisconsin High School Hockey, is weaker than most other recruits competition. He should've gone to the USHL for his senior season of high school.

Yeah, let me clarify, my bad, I forgot about all the "non-Sioux Fans" milling around out there. I don't make it a practice slamming "Sioux players/recruits". All others' are fair game. Once again I have to make special allowances for bucky, the rest of the people here knew exactly what I meant. But thank you for dotting the I's and crossing the T's, it shows your keen eye for detail bucky, I'm mildly impressed. It would also appear that bucky is some kind of hockey "talent evaluating" expert as well, THAT'S A REAL GOOD ONE. Say, buck, I just have to know, when phil doesn't go #1 in the draft, are they going to have to bring in some kind of crisis management expert to talk you and slappy down off a bridge ? You guys will have to take saint phil's poster off of your walls and put up your David Hasselhoff "Baywatch" poster's again

Yeah, let me clarify, my bad, I forgot about all the "non-Sioux Fans" milling around out there. I don't make it a practice slamming "Sioux players/recruits". All others' are fair game. Once again I have to make special allowances for bucky, the rest of the people here knew exactly what I meant. But thank you for dotting the I's and crossing the T's, it shows your keen eye for detail bucky, I'm mildly impressed.

Well at least you admit to being completely biased when assessing players. I respect your honesty I guess.

Well at least you admit to being completely biased when assessing players. I respect your honesty I guess.

You're the only one besides slappy that seems to have a problem with Sioux fans being biased on a Sioux message board, it speaks volumes for your ability to understand simple things.

You're the only one besides slappy that seems to have a problem with Sioux fans being biased on a Sioux message board, it speaks volumes for your ability to understand simple things.

I don't care where you post or who you cheer for. When you stop being objective you lose credibility. I love the Gophers and hate the Sioux but I'm not going to rip on great players like Oshie or Toews just for that reason.

I don't care where you post or who you cheer for. When you stop being objective you lose credibility. I love the Gophers and hate the Sioux but I'm not going to rip on great players like Oshie or Toews just for that reason.

Good for you, you are a model citizen. I could care less where my credibility lies, I know what I know, it doesn't matter who believes it. But just so I can prove you wrong once again let me give you an example. phil= heartless, gutless, one move, overrated, probably peaked already player. Eric Johnson= stud, who will probably never wear the m. See oozing with objectivity.

Good for you, you are a model citizen. I could care less where my credibility lies, I know what I know, it doesn't matter who believes it. But just so I can prove you wrong once again let me give you an example. phil= heartless, gutless, one move, overrated, probably peaked already player. Eric Johnson= stud, who will probably never wear the m. See oozing with objectivity.

Uhmmm.....you just went from being non-objective to just plain stupid. Why is it not possible the have grown up discussion regardless of where your loyalies lie ??

It looks like it could be a very long summer.

What this means is (siouxforeverbaby, are you listening here? :silly: ) that if all we have to look forward to are:

1. rumors

2. early departures

3. petty message board bickering

4. bickering possibly turning into downright flamewars

5. what the NCAA will do to us next

It will indeed be a VERY long summer.