SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Hockey WCHA----is it really that good?

SiouxFootballField

I'm a big UND fan, but something about UND hockey is bothering me around the campus and GF that Sioux hockey is beyond Sioux football.

There both well run clubs, and have had tons of success. But the Sioux Football should really be the crown of UND and GF.

For hockey at that level it's interesting how many hockey schools at all levels, and the watchers from ESPN to be for sure follow the sport and make it like this is the best amateur hockey level in the world, when the CHL-----western hockey league, ontario hockey league, and quebec major league for sure has the best players, and the best teams, the best coaches, and the best competition with more on the line.

The games are extremely huge up there where even some bad teams play in similar venues as the Ralph.

Any CHL team that is not rebuilding would cream the Sioux!!!

Where as the Sioux Football at this level, and overall conference play is superiout, and well more important for GF and UND.

Let's hear what Sioux fans have to say.

I'm a big UND fan, but something about UND hockey is bothering me around the campus and GF that Sioux hockey is beyond Sioux football.

There both well run clubs, and have had tons of success.  But the Sioux Football should really be the crown of UND and GF.

For hockey at that level it's interesting how many hockey schools at all levels, and the watchers from ESPN to be for sure follow the sport and make it like this is the best amateur hockey level in the world, when the CHL-----western hockey league, ontario hockey league, and quebec major league for sure has the best players, and the best teams, the best coaches, and the best competition with more on the line.

The games are extremely huge up there where even some bad teams play in similar venues as the Ralph.

Where as the Sioux Football at this level, and overall conference play is superiout, and well more important for GF and UND.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Aside from your incohert rambling, and with no disrepect to the Sioux football team, how can you even compare a D2 football program to one of the top D1 programs in the country? How many D1 football programs are there that would destroy any D2 team, let alone D1AA team? The Sioux hockey program consistently has a number of players in the NHL and has had a number of first round NHL draft choices, including 3 this year alone. There are currently at least 5 first round draft choices on the current roster, and several other first round draft choices are currently playing in the NHL. How many NCC or even D2 football players are in the NFL, let alone were drafted in the 1st round?

I assume that your post was either tongue-in-cheek or intended to get a reaction because no rational person could support the position you have taken.

There both well run clubs, and have had tons of success.  But the Sioux Football should really be the crown of UND and GF.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you drunk?

Hockey = 7 National Championships. Division I

Football = 1 National Championship. Division II

I am not taking anything away from UND Football but this is like comparing apples to oranges. If you would like to go by success and attendence then Sioux Hockey wins in a landslide.

What is the point of this thread?

I think that is one of the most utterly ridiculous posts I have ever seen here, and there have been some ridiculous ones...Your idea that any CHL team would cream UND's hockey team is ludicrous. They do have great players, yes, but they are also comprised of players aged from 16 to 20, where UND has players ages 18 to 22, or older...the size and physicality of UND and the WCHA players sets it apart from the CHL. so where the CHL may be a better breeding ground for NHL players, that doesn't mean that any CHL team would beat any college hockey team.

060203cletus6os.jpg

Some folk'll never eat a skunk but then again some folk'll like

Cletus the Slack Jawed Yokel

Hey whats going on on this side

Hey Brandine you might could wear these to your job interview

And scuff up the topless dancing runway?

Naw you best bring em back where from you got em

Ok, Back you go to waits for a woman of less discriminating tastes

Most folk'll never lose a toe but then again some folk'll like

Cletus the Slack Jawed Yokel

Hey you know what I could call my ma while I'm up here

Hey Ma! get off the dang roof!

You are comparing semi-pro/pro hockey to college level hockey. For purposes of NCAA eligibility, Major Junior Hockey is considered to be professional hockey. Therefore, anyone who participates at this level of hockey is deemed ineligible to play at a US college. Basically you are comparing paid players or compensated players (education allowances ect.) to true collegiate athletes who are playing for free or on scholarship.

When our hockey team wins the national championship or even goes to it we show that we are either the #1 or #2 College hockey team in the country, football can never say this. The football team will lose to all DI-A football teams in the country, that is a fact, no matter how bad the team is we will lose to them. We will lose to most likely 90% of DI-AA football teams, the speed and talent on teams at that level are far superior then that of our Sioux football team. When the football team wins the national championship they are still #200+ in the country of College Football. Thats why our hockey team is the big deal and will always be until we see UND in the Rose Bowl :D .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome the Common man Dan Kohl to the Siouxsports prooogrum.

I think it's great that the Fighting Sioux have outstanding programs in both football & hockey. Hockey without a doubt is the more popular sport, but football has made great strides the past 10 years. Being a Sioux fan is kind of like having your cake as well as your ice cream. Keep up the great work.

As far as Sioux hockey being really that good...I'd say we have one of the top 3 programs in the country. The football team has had great success the past few years, but to say it's one of the top 3 programs in the country would be way off base. Anyway you look at I'm damn proud to be a FIGHTING SIOUX fan in both hockey & football.

I live right by the Budweiser Events Center, home of the CHL champion Colorado Eagles.

I think they (CHL teams) are big and slow. Without the two line pass rule (which the CHL eliminated) any top college team would win. Currently, UND fits that bill.

But, as far as who "rules" the campus....duh. UND Hockey....period. That's the way it is and that's the way we like it.

I like the football team, but hands down I prefer watching UND hockey.

I live right by the Budweiser Events Center, home of the CHL champion Colorado Eagles.

I think they (CHL teams) are big and slow.  Without the two line pass rule (which the CHL eliminated) any top college team would win. Currently, UND fits that bill.

But, as far as who "rules" the campus....duh.  UND Hockey....period.  That's the way it is and that's the way we like it. 

I like the football team, but hands down I prefer watching UND hockey.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, Skippy was discussing the Canadian Hockey League (Major Junior in Canada) but in typical Skippy fashion he didn't have his facts straight and may have mislead you by talking about 23 year old players. He must have done some homework since because in another thread he now realizes that there a couple of dozen 20 year olds in the league playing with hundreds of teenagers, many of which are only 16.

In his post he also believes that the CHL is still far superior based on results from a decade and more ago. If he dug a little deeper he would realize that the league in question is watered down due to its own expansion and the expansion of professional hockey. Additionally, in the past several years, the elite hockey teams of the NCAA has been attracting traditional CHL talent so when you factor in the age difference they are now just as good or better then the top CHL teams.

The football team will lose to all DI-A football teams in the country, that is a fact, no matter how bad the team is we will lose to them.  We will lose to most likely 90% of DI-AA football teams, the speed and talent on teams at that level are far superior then that of our Sioux football team.

You are right about DI-A teams, the top teams in I-A are more professional than college. But I don't know if I-AA is that big of a jump from D-II. I have heard Dale Lennon talk about how the jump from D-II to DI-AA is not as big as it sounds. Also, there are a lot of non-scholarship "D-IAA" programs (like Valparaiso) that are a joke compared to programs like ours. Yes, programs like NDSU have hurdles to climb in their move to Division I (finances, scheduling, etc.) but I think their football program will become competitive at the I-AA level at some point within the next 5 to 8 years. Their other programs will probably never contend nationally like they used to.

Bottom line, we have the best of all worlds; D-I hockey (men's and women's) and D-II in everything else. And three of our programs are national contenders year in and year out (Men's Hockey, Women's Basketball and Football). A lot of schools have only one decent sport, if that. I'm not totally against moving up under the right circumstances, but I like what we have now. And I enjoy each sport for what it is.