SiouxSports.com Forum

The Ralphs

sioux_11

I'll tell you why the old Ralph is louder than the new Ralph. Even though the new Ralph has about twice as many of the best hockey fans in the nation, the old Ralph is louder because it was a hostile environment. No team in the WCHA ever wanted to play in the old Ralph. The fans were crazy and the players played 150% every game because if they didn't they would hear it from the fans (not that the players don't play hard now, but you win championships by so hard that you can't feel your legs on Sunday morning.

WCHA teams now come to the new Ralph and think it is a cool arena, and are amazed that the Sioux get to play here. So the other teams play like they want to come to Grand Forks and knock the Sioux off in this amazing arena.

I believe after the Sioux start beating teams by 10 and 11 goals, and also win a National Championship title (which couldn't be to far off) in the new Ralph teams will start shaking when their coach hands them the schedule and it says they have to play at "THE RALPH".

As Sauer said in his INCH column when asked his favorite arena:

But for atmosphere there was nothing more intimidating than on a cold night at the old Englestad Arena in North Dakota with the student section screaming before warm-ups.

So far we haven't given opponents much reason to fear the new REA. Give it time...

The team on the ice creates the atmosphere inside the building. I've been to many games in the old REA where you could hear a pin drop. Also been to many where the building was 3/4 full or less. Wasn't always as crazy or hostile as you say. But, no question there were times when it was brutal to the visiting team.

The Shrine of Whine was a morgue three years ago. Go to a game now, and you can actually make out some clapping and cheering. ;) SCSU's NHC has become a very difficult place to play because the hockey team has been one of the most talented in the nation the past few years. Easy to cheer when your guys are pumping in tons of goals.

The new REA pulled in record numbers even though the product on the ice was struggling. New fans and different neighbors-- all will take time to get into the groove. But, if you were at the HOF home opener when Ralph himself took to the microphone, you were treated to just how loud this place can be. Absolutely deafening. Close behind was the Gopher series last season. 12K fans were generating a lot of noise at times. I have no doubt the new REA will become the most intimidating place to play in short order. It will exceed the old place in terms of "fear factor".

In the mean time, I'm enjoying watching the best college hockey team playing in the finest arena on the planet.

taz

I think the hostile factor went down quite a bit when they moved 1500 student seats to the upper bowl, and frankly I think that's a stupid thing to do. The big arena does need noise, and that's students ... works for Duke, works for Michigan State, ... (sigh)

Yes there's a lot of new season ticket holders ... and at least where I am, there's a lot of ticket-sharing / splitting / donating going on ... which fills the seats at least. But does leave a lot of newbie fans who aren't as "enthusiastic" ...

The rink'll get louder. Just like new underwear, it takes a while before you get comfortable.

I think the hostile factor went down quite a bit when they moved 1500 student seats to the upper bowl,

agreed. The loudest fans, and at least half moved to a position where their racket is negated. That's the way it has to be, but that is the impact.

Actually last weekend in the third period it was really loud. I was impressed. The place woke up and started cheering. The building was shaking. It may not have the feel of the old Ralph but its starting to feel like home. Whooping SCSU this weekend would really help...

The last year that the old ralph was open the only games that really gave me goosebumps were the minnesota series and The first st cloud game when they came back in the third period. That third period comeback was probably the best i have ever heard it in that building. (keep in mind i only went to games there the last 2 years it was open) The problem is people take these great moments of atmosphere in the old ralph and expect it to be like that all the time. I also remember times in the old ralph where you could hear a pin drop.