SiouxSports.com Forum

What will happen if...

ESPNInsider

If UND is forced to change the nickname because of the NCAA ruling what will happen with the REA?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. If UND is forced to change the nickname because of the NCAA ruling what will happen with the REA?

• UND will still be allowed to use it (as they should)
    • UND will not be allowed to use it (as they should not)
    • UND will still be allowed to use it (but they shouldn't be)
    • UND will not be allowed to use it (but they should be)
    • Those were very confusing and I will type my own answer

*IF* for some reason the NCAA manages to force UND to get rid of the Sioux name, then I would say not use any name.

Just have uniforms, etc that say North Dakota. or University of North Dakota. Keep the same colors. But refuse to obtain a new nickname.

If anyone asks, just say we used to be the Fighting Sioux, but the NCAA took it from us and we don't want another name.

Call me bitter.

*IF* for some reason the NCAA manages to force UND to get rid of the Sioux name, then I would say not use any name.

Just have uniforms, etc that say North Dakota.  or University of North Dakota.  Keep the same colors.  But refuse to obtain a new nickname. 

If anyone asks, just say we used to be the Fighting Sioux, but the NCAA took it from us and we don't want another name. 

Call me bitter.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can't do, elmduf. "Dakota" is the name of an Indian tribe. Calling ourselves North Dakota or the University of North Dakota would be considered "hostile and abusive" by the NC$$.

If we have to change our nickname we will be able to use the REA, but it will not be like the current make up.

You see, UND will have to rent the space and be subject to the REA's private scheduling instead of the other way around. There is even the possibility that the Sioux could be bumped.

If UND agrees to that set up, the students would lose as I am sure the REA would mandate a minimum approach to the student section, having it be in one or two upper bowl sections. No lower bowl sections at all.

Of course, they will not be able to use the REA for any tourneys, making it nearly impossible for any future post season hosting outside of the first round of the Final Five.

They will then invariably, start a capital campaign to refurbish the Old Ralph which would include renaming the arena.

If we have to change our nickname we will be able to use the REA, but it will not be like the current make up.

You see, UND will have to rent the space and be subject to the REA's private scheduling instead of the other way around.  There is even the possibility that the Sioux could be bumped.

If UND agrees to that set up, the students would lose as I am sure the REA would mandate a minimum approach to the student section, having it be in one or two upper bowl sections.  No lower bowl sections at all.

Of course, they will not be able to use the REA for any tourneys, making it nearly impossible for any future post season hosting outside of the first round of the Final Five.

They will then invariably, start a capital campaign to refurbish the Old Ralph which would include renaming the arena.

Where do you get this stuff.

You see, UND will have to rent the space and be subject to the REA's private scheduling instead of the other way around.

Edited by Goon

I think UND will be more willing to change than REA incorporated. after all UND doesnt have any control over that arena anyway as has been shown with our hockey ticket dilemna every year.

Actually, even if not for the nickname thing, I think students really are upset with REA and should try to get the university to hold the hockey games elsewhere just to prove a point that students DO have influence on this university. (however, I have found that is much easier to complain than to get people to take action in this town/school. Not me personally but as a leader in student government this seemed to happen a lot when any issue came up.)

I think UND will be more willing to change than REA incorporated.  after all  UND doesnt have any control over that arena anyway as has been shown with our hockey ticket dilemna every year.

Actually, even if not for the nickname thing, I think students really are upset with REA and should try to get the university to hold the hockey games elsewhere just to prove a point that students DO have influence on this university.  (however, I have found that is much easier to complain than to get people to take action in this town/school.  Not me personally but as a leader in student government this seemed to happen a lot when any issue came up.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you are correct that in the past the previous leadership at the REA was a big problem. I think the new guy has come with a sense of cooperation and would hope there will be a lot of improvement. I believe the biggest problem was the guy from Minot who could have cared less about UND students, UND or the community of Grand Forks.

I believe you will find that no matter where you live or go to school affecting change is quite difficult. I don't know about the city lately, but I believe you can still work within the University for change. It takes a long time though and most students don't have the time. I know there are people working within the Athletic Department and with REA officials to improve the situation.

I got that stuff from what I was told back when the new Ralph was built. I was told that the money was donated conditionally. The conditions were that it be used to build a hockey arena for the Sioux and that the Sioux name was to stay in place. If the name were to change, then UND could lose its current arrangement with the arena and its management company.

It's not all that surprising that I could have gotten the wrong information, but I see that scenario as quite possible as the "worst case scenario"

I got that stuff from what I was told back when the new Ralph was built.  I was told that the money was donated conditionally.  The conditions were that it be used to build a hockey arena for the Sioux and that the Sioux name was to stay in place.  If the name were to change, then UND could lose its current arrangement with the arena and its management company.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And just exactly how knowledgeable was the source of this information?

Anybody can say anything.

Well, responding to the use of Dakota, we'll just call our school the University of North.

Also, why don't we just charge the Big Sioux Truckstop $1 a year to place all those thousands of Sioux logo designs in the Ralph. We'll just call it "advertising" for the Big Sioux Truck Stop! ;)

Well, responding to the use of Dakota, we'll just call our school the University of North. 

Also, why don't we just charge the Big Sioux Truckstop $1 a year to place all those thousands of Sioux logo designs in the Ralph.  We'll just call it "advertising" for the Big Sioux Truck Stop!  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I miss their biscuits and gravy at 3:00 am. I was never one for the gravy fries, although it was a fan favorite.