SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

From The Daily Illini:

Editorial: Save the last fancy dance

NCAA denies appeal on the Chief, leaving consequences for Unversity

For the sake of diffusing vociferous public criticism, NCAA has once again denied the University's appeal to be released from the "hostile and abusive" list for the use of Chief Illiniwek as its symbol. The capricious grandstanding by NCAA President Myles Brand and the self-righteous officials is not only unfair for its selective punishment, but seriously infringes upon the University's right for self-determination.
NCAA tries to sidestep the autonomy issue by arguing that it lacks the power to make the University retire the Chief. But the NCAA's ruling will pose problems for our school which will only multiply until we comply with their implicit mandate. There are consequences to retiring the Chief beyond just ending the halftime dance and taking off the Chief's likeness from uniforms. The University will lose a source of income from its licensing agreements. With the University's budget as tight as it is right now, cutting off any revenue is something that simply should not be done without a great deal of discussion and thought.

In addition, the hypocrisy shown by Brand and Co. is simply a matter of selective enforcement. One would think, if the NCAA's ruling were in good faith, that mocking an entire race and ethnic group would be stopped, but Brand and the NCAA seem to think it's only some of the schools that use American Indian symbols that do this. Florida State's Chief Osceola and the Uta Utes are deemed inoffensive on grounds that were never explained clearly. Further, the icon for Notre Dame harkens back to the days when Irish immigrants were subject to violence and exploitation as the bottom rung of industrial American society and stereotyped as alcoholics.

From PJStar.com:

Braves are safe

NCAA ruling allows Bradley to keep name

Bradley University will remain the "home of the Braves."

The NCAA will monitor use of Bradley's nickname and mascot during the next five years, but officials said the school can continue using "Braves" during postseason play, as well as host NCAA championship events.

"The executive committee found Bradley demonstrated its ability to provide an environment that is not hostile or abusive and one that is consistent with the NCAA constitution and commitment to diversity," the organization said in a released statement Friday.

"Bradley does not now and will not in the future use (American Indian) depictions in its logo," President David Broski stated. "The university will continue to encourage in our student body the qualities of honor, courage, tenacity, loyalty, and endurance associated with the Braves name."

"We've done a good job at Bradley over the years of getting rid of Indian symbols," Broski said. "If you watched the NCAA tournament I thought that was a great exemplar of Bradley fans in action. You saw a sea of red. You saw a lot of enthusiasm. You saw a lot of excitement, and you saw nothing related to Indians."
I read the story in total disbelief. So this is considered positive social change? Bradley keeps the name "Braves" under the false pretense that its nickname has nothing to do with American Indians. Furthermore, "the qualities of honor, courage, tenacity, loyalty, and endurance" are now divorced from any connection or association with American Indians. This, according to a Bradley graduate, is a victory for common sense.

It's time to cue Gordon Lightfoot...

Sometimes I think it's a sin

When I feel like I'm winnin' when I'm losing again

Now, why doesn't this surprise me? The NCAA is now causing problems on the reservations.

Standing Rock Sioux table discussion on UND nickname

I have a hunch that this is why the Spirit Lake Reservation did not want to address the issue at their tribal council meetings.

Yet, you see many many native people wearing the "Fighting Sioux" logo.

In fact, I think I see more Ft. Totten folks wearing the logo than I ever have in the past. Or maybe it is just that I tend to notice it more... but I don't think so.

"The main issue is our survival," she said in an interview. "We need to address poverty, law and order, water issues."

Poor, deluded woman. So unenlightened. :0 If only she could accept the fact that Myles & Co. really know what's best for her and her people. :D:0

Did they table this because maybe the tribal chair didn't want it coming to a vote (for fear it may not go his way)?

Quite possibly. :D I was afraid of this. In my experience most native americans don't really care one way or the other regarding nicknames. l wouldn't be surprised if, being lobbied hard by both sides, a resolution isn't coming anytime soon.

Did they table this because maybe the tribal chair didn't want it coming to a vote (for fear it may not go his way)?

That's usually why votes concerning controversial issues are tabled. A tribal chairman dealing from a position of strength would have welcomed the vote to settle the matter in his favor -- if he knew he had the votes.

So let's see. If Spirit Lake refuses to reconsider its last official action okaying UND's use of the Fighting Sioux nickname and the NCAA counts that as no support, does this mean that when Standing Rock refuses to reconsider its last official action against the nickname that the NCAA must count it as being in favor of UND?

Great dialogue you started, Myles. :D

Edited by PCM

Hagen is the same sports law expert the Herald talked to for a previous story on this subject in which he said the same thing. There's no mention of the fact that he's testified on the NCAA's behalf in at least one anti-trust suit that was settled out of court. Nobody should think that Stenehjem's comments are based on his opinion alone. There are other excellent legal minds outside of North Dakota who agree with him.

I love it, this is actually exciting, some guy that lost already defending the NCAA is going to give advice on law suits. I think Stenehjem is right there are some things that possibly appear to be an over step by the NCAA and I can see team like the UI tennis team suing them for lost revenue...

This completely misses the point.

UND cannot just "go away" in the nickname battle. The NCAA level serious accusations, ones they cannot prove. Why should UND be the ones to just go away and accept the imposed guilt? UND should only go kicking and screaming into that good night, because this issue is more about free speech and fighting against the easy but wrong way out of our problems.

Orlando Sentinel: Changing Identities

"Where we're at right now is calculating litigation costs," says Phil Harmeson, senior associate to UND's president and the school's faculty athletic representative.

The financial stake is less at Illinois. "We're not like North Dakota, where we'd have to sandblast our multimillion-dollar building," says Tom Hardy, the executive director of Illinois' office for university relations.

Harmeson counters that UND's voluntary membership in the NCAA is anything but. Like administrators at other schools, he has raised legal questions of both antitrust implications and freedom of expression.

Doreen Yellow Bird had an interesting column in Saturday's Grand Forks Herald:

Tribal governments need checks

There are things, however, about Hall's administration that concern me. As chairman, he sets the pace for how the tribe progresses or doesn't progress. The budget of the tribe is deep in the red and, I understand, the council is borrowing to keep the tribal government's head above water. So, when I see Hall and some of the council members with shiny new pickups provided by the tribe, I am uneasy at what else they're providing for themselves.