SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

People in glass houses......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I couldn't help myself, I wrote a rebuttal response. We'll see if it's printed or not. Following is my 'opinion':

People in Glass Houses

It was with great interest that I read David Hyde's comments on university nicknames and mascots. When discussing the University of North Dakota's name (UND does not have a mascot)he writes, 'the UND administration stubbornly fights to hold onto the label, insisting that it actually honors the Sioux people', he fails to mention that the University of North Dakota has more American Indian programs, services and percntage of American Indian students than many if not all NCAA participating colleges and universities. These programs include an Indian into Medicine program that has graduated 20% of the American Indian physicians in the country. But I digress, the reason for my great interest is Mr. Hyde's indignatiation that 'universities of Iowa and North Dakota however, are supporting sexist, racist, and divisive stereotypes.' I find it amusing that Mr. Hyde's insulted sensibilities regarding issues at institutions other than his own have resulted in his writing an editorial on this issue. Northeastern University has it's own problems with racial discrimination (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,171249,00.html 'A White Opressor? Who Me?'). I would think that before Mr. Hyde attempts to clean someone else's house, he should make sure his is clean and without fault.

Just a few hundred miles from UND is Iowa City, home of the University of Iowa Hawkeyes. While not in trouble over their name (what is a hawkeye?), Iowa has received its share of negative publicity regarding a decades-long tradition many feel has run its course. For years, Iowa painted the visiting team's locker room and shower pink, a tradition started by former football coach Hayden Fry who felt it had a "calming and passive" effect on people.

Just for the record University of Iowa is over 10-11 hours from Grand Forks, thats more than a couple of hundred miles away.

Edited by Goon

It was with great interest that I read David Hyde's comments on university nicknames and mascots.  When discussing the University of North Dakota's name (UND does not have a mascot)he writes, 'the UND administration stubbornly fights to hold onto the label, insisting that it actually honors the Sioux people', he fails to mention that the University of North Dakota has more American Indian programs, services and percntage of American Indian students than many if not all  NCAA participating colleges and universities.  These programs include an Indian into Medicine program that has graduated 20% of the American Indian physicians in the country. But I digress, the reason for my great interest is Mr. Hyde's indignatiation that 'universities of Iowa and North Dakota however, are supporting sexist, racist, and divisive stereotypes.'  I find it amusing that Mr. Hyde's insulted sensibilities regarding issues at institutions other than his own have resulted in his writing an editorial on this issue.  Northeastern University has it's own problems with racial discrimination (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,171249,00.html  'A White Opressor? Who Me?').  I would think that before Mr. Hyde attempts to clean someone else's house, he should make sure his is clean and without fault.

Just for the sake of debate; how would most of you classify this great "Mind"? I mean really? Sounds familiar doesn't it?

On WDAZ's 6 p.m. news tonight, there was a short item on UND's appeal to the NCAA. Phil Harmeson was quoted as saying that even though the university hopes to win in the appeals process, it's getting plenty of legal advice. He said attorneys are "lining up to take the case if it goes that far" and still others have offered to help pay legal expenses. Never underestimate the allure of deep pockets. :love:

To view the report, go to WDAZ's Web site, click on the link for the 6 p.m. newscast and move the slider forward to the 10:52 mark.

From The Daily Pennsylvanian:

Is Penn's Quaker offensive?

Holy Cow! :love:

Fighting Scots of (PA) Fighting Irish of (Notre Dame) Dutchman , Friars, Vikings,

White- Euro mascots and nicknames are ok?? :angry:

Am I missing something? Shouldn't all races and religion be included by what the NC$$ has stated??

IMHO do not think it's right that we have "Friars", it reminds me of Robin Hood and that offends me!! Give me a break! Is the NC$$ that stupid? :D

Isn't the Higher Ed board part of the STATE OF NORTH DAKOTA??

NC$$ vs The State of North Dakota.

State Rights vs NCAA

Hmmm I wonder who will win? :(

On WDAZ's 6 p.m. news tonight, there was a short item on UND's appeal to the NCAA. Phil Harmeson was quoted as saying that even though the university hopes to win in the appeals process, it's getting plenty of legal advice. He said attorneys are "lining up to take the case if it goes that far" and still others have offered to help pay legal expenses. Never underestimate the allure of deep pockets.

I noticed the story that followed right after was 3M's $93,000 contribution to UND to help get more American Indian students into engineering.  Another example of a "hostile and abusive" environment.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, when will it ever end? :love:

Thank goodness we at UND can rely on the NCAA to show us how to become more diverse.

On WDAZ's 6 p.m. news tonight, there was a short item on UND's appeal to the NCAA. Phil Harmeson was quoted as saying that even though the university hopes to win in the appeals process, it's getting plenty of legal advice. He said attorneys are "lining up to take the case if it goes that far" and still others have offered to help pay legal expenses. Never underestimate the allure of deep pockets.  :angry:

To view the report, go to WDAZ's Web site, click on the link for the 6 p.m. newscast and move the slider forward to the 10:52 mark.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whoa! You mean those supposed "sports law", whatever that is, experts quoted in the Hurled's recent screed could be wrong? :love: I have a pretty good idea of who some of these lawyers are, and they are not afraid to take on entire industries, let alone an arrogant and abusive (Can I say that?) monopoly.

Only if you say hostile with it......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, HockeyMom, I'm going to bring a first aide kit to the game. Just in case your kid gets pummeled for being hostile and abusive. I'm assuming, of course, that he will be in full Fighting Sioux regalia while riding the zamboni.

Hey, HockeyMom, I'm going to bring a first aide kit to the game. Just in case your kid gets pummeled for being hostile and abusive.  I'm assuming, of course, that he will be in full Fighting Sioux regalia while riding the zamboni.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He'll be wearing his Sioux Hockey hat and his Kids Club T.

Go SIOUX!!!!!

This week's Perky Sparko "Vaht?" Award goes to Jim Lipovetz, sports columnist for the Duluth Budgeteer News.

Grapevine

North Dakota is not having any luck keeping its Fighting Sioux moniker. It needs a new name next year or it risks losing all rights to host future NCAA tournaments.

Lip is getting excited for the idea of UND having to change its name. Lip needs more information. Lip should ask UMD head hockey coach Scott

From the Babson Free Press (Babson College, Mass.):

NCAA Against Native American College Mascots

However, the financial resources used for court battles or changing logos or not playing games could have been used far more efficiently to improve the actual lives of Native Americans. NCAA could impose a reasonable tax on the use of Native American titles and images, an action far less disruptive to universities, and far more beneficial to Native American communities and tribes.
Ah, yes, an NCAA tax on American Indian nicknames. Why am I not surprised that such an idea would come out of Massachusetts?

Where will the NCAA draw the line if the enforcement of this decision is accepted by the nation? In its hope to right the egregious wrongs committed on Native Americans by this nation, the NCAA is missing the mark, and harassment of colleges does not appear to be a fruitful solution. There needs to be more cooperation between the NCAA and universities, and goals to create actual improvement and growth need to be set.

But that would require the NCAA to actually acknowledge and understand that some of its members are doing far more than others to help American Indians.

From the Babson Free Press (Babson College, Mass.):

NCAA Against Native American College Mascots

Ah, yes, an NCAA tax on American Indian nicknames. Why am I not surprised that such an idea would come out of Massachusetts?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And we all know that the NC$$ could provide a higher quality Native American program than UND ever could. Why didn't UND ever think of trying to provide education to NAs to "improve the actual lives of Native Americans." :love:

What bugs me most about this debate is what little research people do before having an opinion on the issue and the naive things people say about UND and it's treatment towards Native Americans.