SiouxSports.com Forum

Quarterback

#1Hakfan

Two part question. Who will be starting QB to start the season and who will be starting QB at the end of the year? I guess I think That there wilol be a lot of competetion and it wont be one guy all year long. I hope it's not QB by committe, so who do you think will win the job and will they keep it all season?

Two part question.  Who will be starting QB to start the season and who will be starting QB at the end of the year?  I guess I think That there wilol be a lot of competetion and it wont be one guy all year long.  I hope it's not QB by committe, so who do you think will win the job and will they keep it all season?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Doesn't matter who wins the job on the field. Belmore will start. Manke will finish. Manke had a much better spring game. I think Mussman makes the decision and Dale doen't feel strongly he should override it. Last year Manke came into fall camp ahead of Belmore and did nothing to loose that spot. When Bowenkamp was hurt they played Belmore. I hope whoever starts gets the job done. QB is one of the keys to the season. The play, no matter who is there, must be much better than last year.

Whomever they start, they need to get the other guy quality playing time. One of Roger's mistakes when he coached was not getting his backup QB playing time. Dale leaves his starter in longer than he needs to especially with these two guys being so close as far as ability. They should get the backup guy a series once or twice in the first half with the first team still in and get him in as soon as the game is decided in the second half.

I hope Belmore doesn't start, and I certainly hope Manke doesn't start.  They're both real scary.  I say throw Freund into the fire.

Seriously, Belmore will start and Belmore will finish.  Manke has the potential to be the best holder in UND history.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would guess a couple of things. One is you either haven't seen any of them play or if you have you have no knowledge of football. Belmore will start. He is a nice guy and he at times looks very good. Manke is a winner and has succeeded at every level. Freund isn't even close to those two yet. Don't get your info from the HS stats.

I dont think you can judge Belmore and Manke by last year because they were both so inexperienced, the team really had no running game and there was a lot of inconsistency all season because they rotated 3 QB's all year. I hope one guy steps up and wins the job and is starter all year so he can grow with the offense all year. I dont care who it is, Its just to hard to be consistent when every game you have a new QB.

I dont think you can judge Belmore and Manke by last year because they were both so inexperienced, the team really had no running game and there was a lot of inconsistency all season because  they rotated 3 QB's all year.  I hope one guy steps up and wins the job and is starter all year so he can grow with the offense all year. I dont care who it is, Its just to hard to be consistent when every game you have a new QB.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agree. But if one isn't getting the job done the other is good enough to get the chance. Either way they both need quality PT. I would also try and get Freund and Carney game reps when possible. The defense should be one of the best ever and if the O-line is healthy (two guys are hurt before camp starts) and develops and Christianson develops as a FB we should be better on O. Strouth looked good in the spring and hopefully the transfer, Beatty and the rookie from Wisc. will step up.

I have been waiting all year to jump back on my Reed Manke bandwagon. I said it last year, he will be the one who leads this team. Belmore is a great QB, but Reed is the man. He will lead this team to the promised land. I think we will all be pleasantly surprised. By the way I have just completed my graduation requirements , however I am going to delay getting a job so I can attend most football games this coming season. Jim Nasser you better be ready to tailgate.

When talking about the running game, don't forget about the new guy, Brandon Brady. He could be the wildcard. A 200-plus pound back with speed is something we haven't had since...well, I can't even remember when. I wouldn't look for him to leapfrog Strouth on the depth chart, but he could get into the mix before too long. I've heard from more than one person that he's quite a talent.

I don't think you can say UND made a mistake on Mertens, because they did offer him didn't they?  He just happened to choose NDSU.  Hey, you win some-- you lose some!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They came on him late and tentative at first. I heard that from Mertens coaches and one of the UND guys. He was that good. We should have been on him early and with a full court press. Anyway we lost that one, so good luck to the kid.

I think that we should let Freund sit on the bench this year. We keep him there for the entire season and let Manke, Belmore and Carney (in that order) play. Then give him reps next year when Manke and Belmore are seniors. If we do that we can keep him for a total of six years. That is what Bowenkamp/Glas/Bentow (just to mention a few) did. He will have to sit out the Spring before his senior year though. It might end up being good for us if we let him sit the entire year.

I think that we should let Freund sit on the bench this year.  We keep him there for the entire season and let Manke, Belmore and Carney (in that order) play. Then give him reps next year when Manke and Belmore are seniors.  If we do that we can keep him for a total of six years.  That is what Bowenkamp/Glas/Bentow (just to mention a few) did.  He will have to sit out the Spring before his senior year though.  It might end up being good for us if we let him sit the entire year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am pretty sure the only way he could get a 6th year of eligibility is with a medical hardship.

.....But happy feet, a wobbly ball and too short?  Don't think so.

Belmore is a good athlete and has shown some times he can be very good.  He is a good athlete.  I would expect him to  improve.  I think Freund has a good future but I have not heard anyone close to the program think he will be ahead of either Manke or Belmore.

Manke is 6'0", Belmore is 6'2", Bowenkamp was 6'5". I believe Klosterman was short as well, but he was a special player. Manke is no Klosterman. Whoever starts, I hope succeeds, but like I said I've seen Belmore and Manke as much as anyone else, they both scare me. But Belmore gives me little more confidence.

Today's Forum said UND will pass more this season. That surprises me, hopefully I am wrong about the quarterback situation.