SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

Congratulations to Fargo South on bringing home their third State Championship last night. A well played game that could have easily gone the other way. Also a special congradulations to Paul Weisgarber on winning Mr. Hockey. Hopefully he will have a good rest of the season with the FM Jets. A special congratulations to Sean Deichart on winning the State Title in just a few weeks after the death of his father. I give all the props to Fargo South, even though I feel they did not play their best game. Neither team played their best game, but credit Fargo South for having just enough to come out on top. Hopefully next year will be just as exciting as this year was.

Props to you, riders06. It's nice to see.

Well... Let's start out the "off season" with a question: Which players from around the state are finishing off the year with a Junior team?

I know Erick Galt is going to Lincoln (USHL) and Paul Weisgarber is going to FM Jets (NAHL). Are there any others? What about Mihulka?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa, easy there...

In the end, he still hit the goalie in the head. That warrants the 5:00 major.

If you are willing to be the goalie laying on the ice, I'd be willing to take a light cross check to the back and see where my hands end up

All hostility aside, the bottom line is that South won, Central lost, and nobody will remember this "incident" two weeks from now.

Where to start.....

- I was speechless when I saw how this was sorted out... A central player smokes the south player (who is celebrating the goal) from behind directly into his goaltender, The referee sees this and acknowledges this and gives him a penalty, He then gives the south player a major for running into the goalie?? I'm curious how this peon got the nod to work the state tournament.

- Another very questionable call came in the Spoilers game against RR. Some player with fairly weak skills appeared to trip over the blueline with about 2.5 min left in the 3rd period and Some GF ref decides to try take it out of the kids hands right there. ( but fails obviously). This happend to be the second game in row that RR was givin a powerplay very very late in the game on rather questionable calls. I was so devasted for the boys after this game because you hate to see a team lose on goal that clearly shouldn't have been allowed... really too bad.

-It will be interesting to hear the comments or lack there of, from the RR players/ parents / fans that have graced this fine site over the past few weeks.

Where to start.....

- I was speechless when I saw how this was sorted out... A central player smokes the south player (who is celebrating the goal) from behind directly into his goaltender, The referee sees this and acknowledges this and gives him a penalty, He then gives the south player a major for running into the goalie?? I'm curious how this peon got the nod to work the state tournament.

- Another very questionable call came in the Spoilers game against RR. Some player with fairly weak skills appeared to trip over the blueline with about 2.5 min left in the 3rd period and Some GF ref decides to try take it out of the kids hands right there. ( but fails obviously). This happend to be the second game in row that RR was givin a powerplay very very late in the game on rather questionable calls. I was so devasted for the boys after this game because you hate to see a team lose on goal that clearly shouldn't have been allowed... really too bad.

-It will be interesting to hear the comments or lack there of, from the RR players/ parents / fans that have graced this fine site over the past few weeks.

[/quote/]

Both of the officials were from Minot so don't say another "Grand Forks" ref was trying to take the game out of the kid's hands.

Props to you, riders06. It's nice to see.

Well... Let's start out the "off season" with a question: Which players from around the state are finishing off the year with a Junior team?

I know Erick Galt is going to Lincoln (USHL) and Paul Weisgarber is going to FM Jets (NAHL). Are there any others? What about Mihulka?

Marc is trying out for Team North Dakota in a few weeks. I think he also has submitted an application for the Elite Exposure Tournament sponsored by Shattuck and the Elite League. Kids accepted into that tournament will be posted, so they say, on March 1st, on the Elite Exposure Tournament site. A few other North Dakota kids may be in the Exposure Tournament.

It might be too early but I'm gonna make my predictions for 06-07 season basically just because I'm bored:

East:

Red River (next year's juniors look good to me)

Fargo South (good young players and probably the best jv team in the state this year)

Grafton (don't know a whole lot about them but it is Grafton...)

GFC (same as Grafton)

Devils Lake

West Fargo

Shanley

Fargo North

Wahpeton

West:

Minot

Williston

Jamestown

Bismarck

Bis. Century

Hazen

Dickinson

Mandan

Bottineau

Congrats to South on a great tournament, admittedly not my favorite school but you won it fair in square. Congrats again, what a tournament!!! couple of things on some of the conversations going on right now...

1st- Crease Gate- (GPR v. GFRR) let me preface this and say that usually GPR is one my favorite teams to watch and see do well, because of their style of play and their a smaller community, however I agree there was a man in the crease this is one question I have. How in the world does 14 GFRR get that opportunity to start that sequence in overtime? He was able to step right out of the corner and bring the puck to the net. Nobody, decided to play the body, ride him out of the play. Look at the state champions, did they allow RR to walk out from a corner and bring the puck to the net uncontested on championship night... I don't think so. Assume some responsibility here. I believe that 14 not only got one chance to put on the goaltender, but a second and thats when the puck slid to 18 and finished the play. Crease yes, but honestly if you don't tie up people take away the second chance at that point of the game you almost deserve your fate.

GPR did not correct it either, look how many times during the 3rd place game someone was walking out of the corner for GFC with the puck.

Heard one of the GFC forwards on the postgame say that their team realized that the wings for GPR in the game were hanging out way to high in the zone so there philosophy was to win it in the corner and bring it to the net. It worked as well.

One other observation, why no GFC players on all-tournament team. At least one. They had a great tournament. The official scoring was terrible in the tournament 15 got a goal in the 3rd place game for GFC and it was credited to 7 who was no where near the play. Sorry 7 the secret is out. It happened on the previous night as well in other games.

South- Congrats, Great Effort a little puck luck= champs- hey I thought it was in to tie the game at 2 but the replay showed otherwise and kudos to an official for a change, who was right there to make the call.

GFRR and GFC well done, defended the tradition of GF state tournament hockey well. GFRR left it all out there. The world will go on without the state title for a year. As a fan I don't necessarily like it, but that is what next year is for.

GPR- I honestly wish I could watch 17,18, and 19 play some more together. simply awesome they way they move the puck.

The official scoring was terrible in the tournament 15 got a goal in the 3rd place game for GFC and it was credited to 7 who was no where near the play. Sorry 7 the secret is out. It happened on the previous night as well in other games.

The referees quite often are paying attention to too many other things to get the numbers of the goal scorer and assists exactly right. If they get it wrong it's up to the team or to other officials to correct the scoresheet. The scoresheet isn't finalized until it's signed after the game so there's plenty of time to get it right.

First of all, the refs from Minot, are probably some of the best officials in the state. All of the G.F. people should recognize them, they are officiating your Sioux games. They belong at the Tourney because they are the most unbiased officials there. IMHO, there were questionable calls that other officials had. The 4th RR goal in the opening round game. From what I saw, he threw the puck right at the goalie. Also in that game the highstick called on 10 from Bis was questionable. The RR kid looked like he took a dive. With a close game like that, why would you call that so late in the game. I think that BHS has had problems like that all year,(taking penalties late in a game) but that one would have been a good no call. Who knows, RR could have been playing in the 5th place game. The call on 16 from South was legit. He could have easily avoided the goalie. Congrats to South, Central, and Minot for winning the Sat. games.

does anybody know where the other two mr hockey finalists campbell and jundt are going to play next year

Earlier on the board someone said that Jundt is a D-1 level tennis player so perhaps that is the direction he is going to take. That is just second hand. I have heard nothing on either of the Campbell's in the conversations that I have had.

Earlier on the board someone said that Jundt is a D-1 level tennis player so perhaps that is the direction he is going to take. That is just second hand. I have heard nothing on either of the Campbell's in the conversations that I have had.

Jundt is a good tennis player, don't know if he's D-I. We don't even have one indoor court here, so he plays in fair weather only. But he is good at it.

I heard he wants to try Juniors to see where it takes him. I don't consider him a WCHA caliber defenseman yet, but who knows. He could go East, like Ivy league, too. He's # 1 in his class of about 200 academically. Very bright young man. He has size, smarts and is a good shooter, so his upside isn't bad. Chicago Showcase should help sort some of that out.

It might be too early but I'm gonna make my predictions for 06-07 season basically just because I'm bored:

East:

Red River (next year's juniors look good to me)

Fargo South (good young players and probably the best jv team in the state this year)

Grafton (don't know a whole lot about them but it is Grafton...)

GFC (same as Grafton)

Devils Lake

West Fargo

Shanley

Fargo North

Wahpeton

West:

Minot

Williston

Jamestown

Bismarck

Bis. Century

Hazen

Dickinson

Mandan

Bottineau

I'll throw my two cents in.

East:

1) Red River- return great sophomores

2) Fargo South- Lose a lot but still have Deichert, Powers, McDougall, Wurden, etc.

3) Grafton- Miller, Hills, Anderson, Mohagen, plus the best Bantam A players in the state are moving up, suspect goaltending

4) Devils Lake- Only lose something like 4 or 5 seniors off this team

5) Fargo North- going to be a lot like this years WF team, were young this year ready to rebound in 06-07

6) Central- Simonson staying?

7) West Fargo- Don't return much but still have 3 of their top 6 scorers back, probably suspect in the pipes in losing two senior tenders

8) Shanley- Lucky Wahpeton is still in the EDC

9) Wahpeton- Loses 93 out of 125 points off of a 2-20 team

West:

1) Bismarck High- Hillman potential Mr. Hockey season? Return several other forwards

2) Jamestown- Welding, Leben going to have very solid years in the WDA

3) Minot- taking a step back, looking at potentially number 14 in a row? sry Wilbur

4) Bismarck Century- took a rebuilding year this season looking to go back to GF

5) Williston- Colby Rehak by himself, may be able to sneak up with decent goaltending of Haugenoe

6) Hazen- Tyrel McBain isn't even enough to get this team to the state tournament

7) Mandan- Big former Select goalie Ethan Kline will keep the Braves out of the Play-in game

8) Dickinson- Just happy Wahpeton is still on their schedule

9) Bottineau- do bring up good bantams, potential for that elusive WDA regular season win

Jundt is a good tennis player, don't know if he's D-I. We don't even have one indoor court here, so he plays in fair weather only. But he is good at it.

I heard he wants to try Juniors to see where it takes him. I don't consider him a WCHA caliber defenseman yet, but who knows. He could go East, like Ivy league, too. He's # 1 in his class of about 200 academically. Very bright young man. He has size, smarts and is a good shooter, so his upside isn't bad. Chicago Showcase should help sort some of that out.

I don't know for sure which of these players will try out for Team ND but here are some I think might, that you may or may not have heard of.

Marc Mihulka- Red River

Andy Peterson- Grafton

Ross Monson- Bismarck

Justin Welk- Fargo North

Grant Larson- Fargo South

Paul Weisgarber (eligibility with the Jets?)- Fargo South

Tyler Jundt- Williston

Jon Greicar (sp?)- Central

Clark Dingman- Bismarck

Adam Campell- Fargo South

Justin Connell- Bismarck

Marc Harrie- Fargo Shanley

Jordan Weir- Fargo Shanley

Greg Slominski- Central

David Spies- Red River

Eli Rosendahl- Red River

Nick Klenow- Fargo North

Andy Dittus- Minot

Todd Bustad- Williston

Again, those are merely speculative and just players I think may try out for the team based on nothing but an educated guess. I would have put both of the Campells from Grafton on there but it sounds as if they do not intend to persue hockey after high school. Tough break for Team ND if you ask me.

I don't know for sure which of these players will try out for Team ND but here are some I think might, that you may or may not have heard of.

Marc Mihulka- Red River

Andy Peterson- Grafton

Ross Monson- Bismarck

Justin Welk- Fargo North

Grant Larson- Fargo South

Paul Weisgarber (eligibility with the Jets?)- Fargo South

Tyler Jundt- Williston

Jon Greicar (sp?)- Central

Clark Dingman- Bismarck

Adam Campell- Fargo South

Justin Connell- Bismarck

Marc Harrie- Fargo Shanley

Jordan Weir- Fargo Shanley

Greg Slominski- Central

David Spies- Red River

Eli Rosendahl- Red River

Nick Klenow- Fargo North

Andy Dittus- Minot

Todd Bustad- Williston

Again, those are merely speculative and just players I think may try out for the team based on nothing but an educated guess. I would have put both of the Campells from Grafton on there but it sounds as if they do not intend to persue hockey after high school. Tough break for Team ND if you ask me.

It's my understanding once a player commits to a junior team, they can't play for team ND. They prefer to have only kids who haven't committed to any place since its mainly an exposure type of tournament. This would exclude both Weisgarber and Galt from South

Well ladies,

This is the last post for X2thez. I will be leaving the great town of Grafton and moving to Rio de Janeiro, I hope to be able to help stop the worlds illegal drug rings at their source, but I hope to be back to vote in the 2008 election. I'm sad to say that i'm giving up the shop to my cousin from Grand Forks recent graduate of Red River. I hope this will give him a good start as he is coming off a long and painful re-hab stint ( cocaine, yes it is still a big problem).

The thing I'm going to miss the most is going out for a brandy and crumpets after our home wins.

It's my understanding once a player commits to a junior team, they can't play for team ND. They prefer to have only kids who haven't committed to any place since its mainly an exposure type of tournament. This would exclude both Weisgarber and Galt from South

I've looked at the eligibity rules and I can't figure that out for sure or not. They list rule E: "Players who play exclusively for a Junior "A" team are not eligible." but it doesn't say what time frame that exclusivity covers. I would think it applies to the school year, but it doesn't say.

Well ladies,

This is the last post for X2thez. I will be leaving the great town of Grafton and moving to Rio de Janeiro, I hope to be able to help stop the worlds illegal drug rings at their source, but I hope to be back to vote in the 2008 election. I'm sad to say that i'm giving up the shop to my cousin from Grand Forks recent graduate of Red River. I hope this will give him a good start as he is coming off a long and painful re-hab stint ( cocaine, yes it is still a big problem).

The thing I'm going to miss the most is going out for a brandy and crumpets after our home wins.

Your knowledge and insight on this forum will be greatly missed..

I've looked at the eligibity rules and I can't figure that out for sure or not. They list rule E: "Players who play exclusively for a Junior "A" team are not eligible." but it doesn't say what time frame that exclusivity covers. I would think it applies to the school year, but it doesn't say.

I believe the committment rule is by state, ND to my knowledge does not have a rule against players who have committed to a junior team or college playing, but I know that in Minnesota they only allow players who have not committed. Also, from what I've heard Mihulka is most likely going to be the only RR player to try out.

The call on 16 from South was legit. He could have easily avoided the goalie. Congrats to South, Central, and Minot for winning the Sat. games.

I'm not sure how he could have avoided the goalie. I hate bringing it up again, but I finally got around to capturing the replay of it. I don't think he could have done anything other than what happened. The goalie was moving to the right which is the same way Weisgarber was falling. He tried his best to kind of roll off the goalie but the hit from behind was hard enough where he had enough momentum that he couldn't get to the side fast enough. Even if I were to concede that he could have gotten out of the way, there's no possible way it could be cross-checking, since he had the stick in one hand and I don't even think it even hit the goalie - worst case scenario 2 minutes for roughing.

For those of you who haven't seen the play at all or haven't seen the replays, I posted the clip online and you can take a look. It's in the Xvid codec so if you can't play it you need to get that. Since this is a current event and I'm commenting on it, I consider this to be a fair use of copyrighted material. As such I will take it down before too long. Here's the link: http://www.puck71.com/weisgarber_penalty.avi

Sorry for bringing it up again, but it is the off-season now after all and we need something to discuss! If there are any other controversial plays you'd like to see I might be able to find those as well, but the other plays I think are pretty clear.

I believe the committment rule is by state, ND to my knowledge does not have a rule against players who have committed to a junior team or college playing, but I know that in Minnesota they only allow players who have not committed. Also, from what I've heard Mihulka is most likely going to be the only RR player to try out.

I think we can all agree that it would be nice to see North Dakota have a good showing in Chicago. It will definitly be beneficial to have Mihulka in the lineup but how will we fair if 3 of our 4 Mr. Hockey finalists are not present? I'm hoping Weisgarber is still eligible, and that at least one of the Campells have an itch to play. That could have potentially been one of the best Team ND's we've had in a while. Think about it, Galt, Weisgarber, the Campells, Mihulka, Larson, I could probably go on to name 20 guys that excite the fans but you get the picture. Any other thoughts?

Go North Dakota!

I'm not sure how he could have avoided the goalie. I hate bringing it up again, but I finally got around to capturing the replay of it. I don't think he could have done anything other than what happened. The goalie was moving to the right which is the same way Weisgarber was falling. He tried his best to kind of roll off the goalie but the hit from behind was hard enough where he had enough momentum that he couldn't get to the side fast enough. Even if I were to concede that he could have gotten out of the way, there's no possible way it could be cross-checking, since he had the stick in one hand and I don't even think it even hit the goalie - worst case scenario 2 minutes for roughing.

For those of you who haven't seen the play at all or haven't seen the replays, I posted the clip online and you can take a look. It's in the Xvid codec so if you can't play it you need to get that. Since this is a current event and I'm commenting on it, I consider this to be a fair use of copyrighted material. As such I will take it down before too long. Here's the link: http://www.puck71.com/weisgarber_penalty.avi

Sorry for bringing it up again, but it is the off-season now after all and we need something to discuss! If there are any other controversial plays you'd like to see I might be able to find those as well, but the other plays I think are pretty clear.

find the RR goal they might of scored againtst FDS and the goal they scored agaisnt gpr please

Is goalie eli rosendahl of red river not going to try out? if he chooses not to that may hurt the team a little bit because im sure he would probably be the starter. Other goalies that come to mind are norths just welk , graftons tony kringstad and centrals kalvin shane. I would be dissapointed if Graftons campbell cousins didnt try out. I beleive if all the seniors this season could/ would participate that it could have been one of the best team north dakotas.