SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

I was at the game last night. After the way the first 7 minutes went I thought we'd have to start playing in hell because it look as if it was gonna freeze over. In all seriousness Shanley did run all 3 lines consistently last night, in previous games the 3rd line would be lucky to see more than 2 shifts a period. Shanley controlled play for most of the night, it seemed like they came out a little too high on their horse which is expected playing a team of Wahpeton's caliber. I just don't get why when we play Wahpeton close everyone decides to pile on. I didn't hear anybody bashing Jamestown when they eeked out a 6-5 win or WF when they beat Wahpeton the same way. I guess we don't mind the programs who have been around for 25 years but expect Shanley who is still in its infancy to run away with the game. Shanley has a group of kids who work very hard and chose to stick this thing out and there was not a better sight I can remember then the smiles on their faces coming out of the locker room after beating Grand Forks Central. As long as the coaching staff stays there our program will continue to grow as long as SOME people don't try to cut their legs out from under them as soon as they don't WIN by enough. Sorry for this rant.

A lot of the time people look past the popular saying "a win is a win". Whether you beat a team 27-0, or 5-3 with an empty net, it still counts as a win. Yeah, the Shanley players are probably upset with their performance, but the bottom line is they won the game. And I'm sure they'd all agree that they'd rather have an ugly win than a good loss.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I caught the end of the Minot-BHS game tonight, and Minot won 2-0(empty net goal). It was 0-0 until about 3 minutes left to play i believe. I was only at the third period, but it seemed to be a very even end to end game, and both goalies were coming up huge. Minot got a breakaway out of the penalty box with 3 minutes left and put it in. Hillman for BHS looked very good from what I saw tonight.

Which is exactly what I said :D A number of kids I coached play or played for Shanley and I have seen several of their games over the past few years. When playing GF and other good teams they shorten the bench to two lines (at the most). When playing weaker teams they let the other kids get a chance to play more.

Shanley has a very nice program and will be much better now that they have a good feeder program established.

So, "When playing GF and other good teams they shorten the bench to two lines (at the most)". By saying at the most, which means no more than two, you imply that sometimes they just skate one line? That obviously makes no sense but I would guess you mean something else by that phrase. :D

I caught the end of the Minot-BHS game tonight, and Minot won 2-0(empty net goal). It was 0-0 until about 3 minutes left to play i believe. I was only at the third period, but it seemed to be a very even end to end game, and both goalies were coming up huge. Minot got a breakaway out of the penalty box with 3 minutes left and put it in. Hillman for BHS looked very good from what I saw tonight.

Big win for Minot. When Minot plays Bismarck you can almost always throw out the records because it is always a good game. I remember playing against Bismarck and having their student section throw carrots at us... :D

Big win for Minot. When Minot plays Bismarck you can almost always throw out the records because it is always a good game. I remember playing against Bismarck and having their student section throw carrots at us... :D

I was not at the game, but have heard that tonight it was something like 38 dead/bloody rabbits. Guess they had to hold them until the end of the game and throw them out when Minot scored rather than BHS. :D

I was not at the game, but have heard that tonight it was something like 38 dead/bloody rabbits. Guess they had to hold them until the end of the game and throw them out when Minot scored rather than BHS. :lol:

Yeah, after BHS scored on us one time they threw four on the ice. I went over and talked to the reff one time in Jamestown after it happened asking if a penalty shuld be called the the second time they did this, his explanation..."We really can't call a penalty because we don't know which fans are throwing the dead rabbits on the ice..." :D

To think of the number of rabbits that have been killed because of Minot High School Hockey.... :lol:

I was at the game last night. After the way the first 7 minutes went I thought we'd have to start playing in hell because it look as if it was gonna freeze over. In all seriousness Shanley did run all 3 lines consistently last night, in previous games the 3rd line would be lucky to see more than 2 shifts a period. Shanley controlled play for most of the night, it seemed like they came out a little too high on their horse which is expected playing a team of Wahpeton's caliber. I just don't get why when we play Wahpeton close everyone decides to pile on. I didn't hear anybody bashing Jamestown when they eeked out a 6-5 win or WF when they beat Wahpeton the same way. I guess we don't mind the programs who have been around for 25 years but expect Shanley who is still in its infancy to run away with the game. Shanley has a group of kids who work very hard and chose to stick this thing out and there was not a better sight I can remember then the smiles on their faces coming out of the locker room after beating Grand Forks Central. As long as the coaching staff stays there our program will continue to grow as long as SOME people don't try to cut their legs out from under them as soon as they don't WIN by enough. Sorry for this rant.

Your very right, Wf only beating whapeton 5-3 is pathetic, but since there funding is going to be cut because marc mihulka pulled the stop o razi on them its understandable. Jamestown is pathetic 95 % of the time, i.e all of there games except agianst the spoilers. Maybe I just expected more out of shanely after seeing them beat GFC in over time.

the game was close although minot had better scoring chances throughout the game bismarck had oppurtunities but couldnt get a legitamate scoring chance, most of their shots were relativley weak give or take a few. minot had an edge on the demons in all 3 periods bhs's goaltender did a nice job of controlling the tempo but simply was left alone in the 3rd period. the crowd at the game was insane several people were arrested. from what i saw bismarck simply cant bury the puck and minot took advantage of their chances and will most likely remain the best in the west

the game was close although minot had better scoring chances throughout the game bismarck had oppurtunities but couldnt get a legitamate scoring chance, most of their shots were relativley weak give or take a few. minot had an edge on the demons in all 3 periods bhs's goaltender did a nice job of controlling the tempo but simply was left alone in the 3rd period. the crowd at the game was insane several people were arrested. from what i saw bismarck simply cant bury the puck and minot took advantage of their chances and will most likely remain the best in the west

Try to understand... :D

So, "When playing GF and other good teams they shorten the bench to two lines (at the most)". By saying at the most, which means no more than two, you imply that sometimes they just skate one line? That obviously makes no sense but I would guess you mean something else by that phrase. :D

Do any of you know what Troy Bottrell's plans for next year are? With that size he reminds be a lot of Jake Vigen out on the ice. Has he been picked up by anyone yet?

Speaking of Vigen, the 6'4" 225 defenseman, who plays for the Portage La Prairie Junior team up in Portage La Prairie, Manitoba. He has 2 assists and a team leading (tied for the lead) 136 penalty minutes. The team is struggling this year 17-25-2. I do not have a retort to your humorous (I assume) question about the 5'10" 260 defenseman you have named. Maybe someone else will bite on that one.

Maybe Shanley's just getting better? Does Shattuck have many prize recruits this year?

In all fairness, I don't think they do. I mean, it's hard to say "Look at us! We're really stocked with prize recruits" after losing Esposito, Crosby, and Toews the past few years.

Grafton beat North 8-1. Thomas Campbell with 6 points (3 goals and 3 assists)and Paul with 4 points (2 goals and 2 assists)

GRAFTON, N.D. – Thomas Campbell scored three goals and three assists to lead Grafton-Park River in its 8-1 win over Fargo North on Saturday.

Paul Campbell added two goals and two assists for the Spoilers.

Tanner Bombenger scored the sole goal for Fargo North.

The Spartans visit Wahpeton on Thursday.

FIRST PERIOD: 1, G-PR, Mohagen (P. Campbell), 0:38. 2, G-PR, P. Campbell (T. Campbell, Miller), 6:45. 3, G-PR, T. Campbell, 8:40.

SECOND PERIOD: 4, FN, Bombenger, 4:37. 5, G-PR, P. Campbell (Peterson, T. Campbell), 4:52. 6, G-PR, T. Campbell (Peterson, Mohagen), 5:34. 7, G-PR, T. Campbell (Miller), 9:05.

THIRD PERIOD: 10, G-PR, T. Campbell (Slaten, P. Campbell), 12:47. 11, G-PR, Miller (Hills, Presteng), 15:04

SAVES: G-PR, Kringstad 11-14-13–38. FN, Welk 9-10-7–26.

GF CENTRAL 3, EGF SENIOR HIGH 2

First period - 1. EGF, Seth Baune (Brad Lukasz) 16:06

Second period - 2. EGF, John Grabanski (Max Wagner, Michael Palmiscno) 8:46; 3. GFC, Greg Slominski (Lane Smith, Alex Simonson) 13:24

Third period - 4. GFC, Matt Klockman (Tom Botsford, Tim Gregoire) 6:25; 5. GFC, Kelly Kyle 15:47

Goalie saves - GFC: Josh Ness 5-4-6 - 15; EGF: Alex Christiansen 12-10-9 - 31

GF RED RIVER 8, WEST FARGO 0

First period - 1. Andrew Vigen (Jake Brown, Luke Schneider) 5:29; 2. Eric Meland (Ryan LaDouceur, Jarrett Galbreath) 9:02; 3. Marc Mihulka (Meland, LaDouceur) 13:34

Second period - 4. Mihulka :13; 5. Meland (David Spies, Matt Marchel) 11:40; 6. Schneider (Jake Delisle, Vigen) 14:21; 7. Jake Lundby (Schneider, Vigen) 14:34; 8. Zac Rau (David Hovet, Jeff Bakke) 15:25

Goalie saves - WF: Brady Hukom 14-7-9 - 30; RR: Eli Rosendahl 6-4-3 - 13