SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

In the game tonight, Mihulka was called for a penalty. 10 seconds after he stepped out of the box and onto the ice, he was called for another one. Also, can you whine a little bit more about how much the refs love GF teams? Really, can you? I'm not sure I've heard someone complain about as much stuff and look for excuses as much as you have.

How can you honestly tell yourself that GF refs don't favor GF teams and try to give them the best opportunities to win the game? Also, how am i looking for excuses if south won? If Red River had won the game then it would be an excuse. Come on buddy, use your head.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The refs did all they could to help Red River get back in it but unfortunetly were unsuccessful. A couple of blatant icings waved off and a few offsides that weren't called. Also, do the refs have some sort of agreement with Red River to never call a penalty on Mihulka. I've never seen a player trip, slash, hold, and hook so much without getting called in my life. Especially when he got into a scrum with a South kid after the whistle but instead of taking Mihulka they took a Red River player who didn't even do anything and the South kid. However, I do think Red River played their absolute best and caught South on what seemed to be an off night. Maybe they were a little sluggish because of not being able to skate because of the blizzard and school cancelations.

After the whistle, Mihulka was laying on the ice while he was getting beaten on by the South players. Erik Meland then came over to support his teammate by moving the South players away. Your excuse for South's sluggish play is the worst excuse I have ever heard. The days off were probably needed to get some rest. Mihulka as does not get away with everything. If you watch the game closely, the stuff Mihulka dishes out, he takes it right back. When he hits kids, he destroys them but they are clean checks.

After the whistle, Mihulka was laying on the ice while he was getting beaten on by the South players. Erik Meland then came over to support his teammate by moving the South players away. Your excuse for South's sluggish play is the worst excuse I have ever heard. The days off were probably needed to get some rest. Mihulka as does not get away with everything. If you watch the game closely, the stuff Mihulka dishes out, he takes it right back. When he hits kids, he destroys them but they are clean checks.

Hey guys, this should be an interesting high school hockey season. Hopefully we can keep these discussions as friendly as possible. Here is one positive thought: Last year Team North Dakota had a nice run at the Chicago Showcase - I think this year will be even better - can't wait to see seniors like Marc Mihulka, Paul Weisgarber, Eric Galt, Thomas Campbell, Paul Campbell, Nick Klenow, Andrew Peterson, David Spies, Jake Delisle, Andy Dittus etc, etc all on the same team. I see Jordan Willert and Mario Lamoureux each picked up a goal this weekend for Tri-City.

In the game tonight, Mihulka was called for a penalty. 10 seconds after he stepped out of the box and onto the ice, he was called for another one. Also, can you whine a little bit more about how much the refs love GF teams? Really, can you? I'm not sure I've heard someone complain about as much stuff and look for excuses as much as you have.

The RR/South game IMO had great refs. Only two questionable calls I saw. 1) A high sticking on South early in the second. 2) That penalty on the RR player after the whistle when the South player took a dive.

Also remember early in the year, every year, the refs love calling it tight setting a precedent, but they always seem to ease things back as the season goes along.

The RR/South game IMO had great refs. Only two questionable calls I saw. 1) A high sticking on South early in the second. 2) That penalty on the RR player after the whistle when the South player took a dive.

Also remember early in the year, every year, the refs love calling it tight setting a precedent, but they always seem to ease things back as the season goes along.

I think he was refering to the game that happened tonight against Crookston.

Anyone have any high school scores tonight? I guess West Fargo beat Jamestown 7-1 I think and Grafton beat Bismarck High 6-1, Central beat Farmington - was it 2 to 1. Any other scores out there?

I officially take back any previous comments about central being in the play-in game, also Wahpeton has a solid chance of making the edc playoffs with how poor Jamestown is this year. I can't wait to see the Bis century game and Jamestown, Those are in my opinion the two worst teams in the state.

Wow RR tied Crookston, any info on that game, i can't imagine that Crookston is any better than last year.

I was at the RR/Crookston game. Crookstons goalie played well. Most of RR's shots were from out high. Not one of RR's best showings. Give credit to Crookston for putting up a fight.

I was at the RR/Crookston game. Crookstons goalie played well. Most of RR's shots were from out high. Not one of RR's best showings. Give credit to Crookston for putting up a fight.

We should give credit to Red River for putting up a fight too. Is Indus in Crookston's section? I think they won it last year...

Edited by ND Hockey 4

I'd have to say that Crookston's goalie had one of the best performances I've seen by a goalie in a while. He was absolutely great tonight, all the credit in the world goes to that kid. He had to have around 40 saves. One save that sticks out was when Jake Brown rifled a one-timer from right in the slot and the goalie gloved it out of the air. Tonight's performance was quite a few notches below how the Riders played against South, but it is still early in the year, it was a non-conference game, and they still managed a tie.

Edited by soohockey15

Does anyone know who are on the top two lines for Grafton this year? It was mentioned earlier that Mohagen would play with the Campbells but he didn't dress against North (according to Bob Gillen's site)

Thomas Campbell, Paul Campbell and Ryan Mohagen were playing on the first line in the North game. Second line was Tanner Anderson, Tanner Hills, and Zach Miller. Maybe Gillen's site has an error. Sometimes the game sheets are written poorly and he can't read them very well. That has already happened this year (illegible game sheets). The guys in the box need to have pens that work in the cold and they need to print clearly. I've seen some real slop on those game sheets.

The first line for Grafton is excellent. The only thing I can see that they could do to improve it is put Zach Miller on the line. With Mohagan being only a freshman he looks out of place at times. Nothing against the player, it just takes time to adapt. Other than that I think teams are going to need to stay out of the box as Grafton's powerplay is the best I've seen in years. Four of Graftons seven goals were on the power play and two more were scored just as a North player exited the box. Let's not forget Grafton crushed North 8-1 last year in the teams first meeting but struggled to beat them in OT the next time. This may be a possibility again as I did see some bright spots in Norths line-up and from what so is the work ethic. I heard after their poor performance against Grafton they put on there workout close and did wall-sits, lunges, push-ups, and ran the bleachers until about 10 at night. Wow.

My EDC Dream Team

Paul Campell(G)-Tom Campell(G)- Zach Miller(G)

Andy Peterson(G) Jarret Galbreath (GFRR)

Grant Larson(FS)-Paul Weisgarber(FS)-Marc Mihulka(GFRR)

Erick Galt(FS) Danny Wurden(FS)

Tyler Klein(FN)-Nick Klenow(FN)-Adam Campell(FS)

Tyler Swanson (WF) Ryan Ladoucer (GFRR)

I officially take back any previous comments about central being in the play-in game, also Wahpeton has a solid chance of making the edc playoffs with how poor Jamestown is this year. I can't wait to see the Bis century game and Jamestown, Those are in my opinion the two worst teams in the state.

Just curious about you thinking that Century and Jamestown are the two worst teams in the state. I think you might be forgetting Bottineau or Wahpeton? Just curious as to if you forgot those teams or if you truly believe they are the two worst teams in the state?

The first line for Grafton is excellent. The only thing I can see that they could do to improve it is put Zach Miller on the line. With Mohagan being only a freshman he looks out of place at times. Nothing against the player, it just takes time to adapt. Other than that I think teams are going to need to stay out of the box as Grafton's powerplay is the best I've seen in years. Four of Graftons seven goals were on the power play and two more were scored just as a North player exited the box. Let's not forget Grafton crushed North 8-1 last year in the teams first meeting but struggled to beat them in OT the next time. This may be a possibility again as I did see some bright spots in Norths line-up and from what so is the work ethic. I heard after their poor performance against Grafton they put on there workout close and did wall-sits, lunges, push-ups, and ran the bleachers until about 10 at night. Wow.

My EDC Dream Team

I think the main reason to keep Miller on the second line is balance. Grafton had the highest scoring line in state history with Brodeur, French and Pederson, but got killed in the state title game to a VERY GOOD Central team, and I can't recall the second line or any of the others.

Mohagen is a special player, but it will take time.

I said I would come up with a ranking after the weekend's games are over. That is risky business this early in the season. Let's start this way - I will divide up the East Region into tiers. Tier I includes three teams who are, at this time, in a class by themselves: Fargo South, Red River, and Grafton. If we were to rate them I would have to put South first since they beat Red River and then Grafton third (The Grafton/South game was postponed otherwise we might have a different ranking). The second tier would include West Fargo, North, Grand Forks Central and Shanley. When doing any kind of rating and analysis the group in the middle is the hardest to rank. This is especially true early in the season and we did have some games postponed that would have helped with the ranking. At this time I am not going to try and rank the middle group except to put them all together - for now. The third tier contains Jamestown and Wahpeton. I did not expect Jamestown to struggle this much as they have some good forwards. I have not seen them play yet so I do not know what their specific problem(s) are (e.g. goal tending, defense, team play, etc, etc, some combination).

Out west my ranking, in this order is Minot, Williston, Devils Lake, Bismarck High, Dickinson, Century, Hazen-Beulah, Mandan, and Bottineau.

I am sure I have irritated someone by rating their favorite team lower than their own belief. At the risk of being more irritating, but just for the fun of it, here is an overall state ranking. The top six teams in the East right now, are the top six teams in the state. I can't sort out the rankings, for now, after 1) South, 2) Red River, and 3) Grafton. Grand Forks Central beat Minot so you can't rate Central lower than Minot, at this time. I see Central in the middle tier of the East - remember Shanley beat Central. So I am sure Minot would beat some of those second tier teams but I am not going to guess as to which ones they would beat. By mid December we should know a lot more about the middle tier of the EDC and also more about Minot. Right now Williston does not appear to be a factor in the state unless they improve a lot.

Hopefully we can have some fun with this stuff. Good luck to all of the teams east and west.

Just curious about you thinking that Century and Jamestown are the two worst teams in the state. I think you might be forgetting Bottineau or Wahpeton? Just curious as to if you forgot those teams or if you truly believe they are the two worst teams in the state?

25-4 the score century's opponents outscored them in the first 3 games of the year, (WF, Dickenson, Devils lake). on the other hand your right we should give them a break as those are 3 perenial powers.

Edited by X2theZ

I agree with your rankings, but I would put Grafton ahead of RR for now.

I've been pleasently surprised with Minot. Although they are a little lacking in the depth department both of the losses this year occurred with them playing without some of their better players. Yesterday against East Grand they played without one of the better wings on the team (for what reason I am unsure), and the second line center played only one shift and left with a hurt shoulder (maybe collar bone, not sure), and they had to juggle some things up. It worries me that this team has been hit with the injury bug, but then again it also worries me that they only put up two goals yesterday when they had a lot of chances to score some more.

I'll give my rankings.

1. South

2. Grafton

3. Red River

4. Central

5. Shanley

6. West Fargo

7. Minot

8. Fargo North

9. Williston

10. Devils Lake

I agree with your rankings, but I would put Grafton ahead of RR for now.

I've been pleasently surprised with Minot. Although they are a little lacking in the depth department both of the losses this year occurred with them playing without some of their better players. Yesterday against East Grand they played without one of the better wings on the team (for what reason I am unsure), and the second line center played only one shift and left with a hurt shoulder (maybe collar bone, not sure), and they had to juggle some things up. It worries me that this team has been hit with the injury bug, but then again it also worries me that they only put up two goals yesterday when they had a lot of chances to score some more.

I'll give my rankings.

1. South

2. Grafton

3. Red River

4. Central

5. Shanley

6. West Fargo

7. Minot

8. Fargo North

9. Williston

10. Devils Lake

That's a fair analysis. I have seen Red River and Grafton once - Red River is deeper than I thought and are physically tough to play. Grafton, on the other hand, is quick, moves the puck well. It should be interesting when they meet. Red River will have to stay out of the box or Grafton's power play will give them a lot of trouble. I don't know about Central rated fourth. The middle group is a mess to figure out. It will take a few more games to see who really has some talent. Minot could make the biggest move in terms of improvement if they get good coaching.

My EDC Dream Team

I agree with all of those. Except I would keep Galbreath and Laducer paired up. From the little I watched of them, they play really well with eachother. Galbreath is a very good skater and Laducer is very smart. Also I watched the Campells play againts Bismark. Wow, did they look good. I think it is smart keeping Zach Miller on that second line. From the Bismark game, they had lots of chemistry playing together.