SiouxSports.com Forum

Finley picks UND for 05'

Siouxhockey03

To bad Boll isn't going to Duluth next year. Him and Finley fought like 3 times last season. I would like to see Finley rip Paukovich's head off next year. Unfortunatley we never got to see Greene fight. I would bet a lot of money that we will see Finley fight.

They got an early commitment from Krantz and he never really developed. He was a bad egg to start with. He was a great athlete a very good baseball player, but he had a bad attitude.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To bad Boll isn't going to Duluth next year. Him and Finley fought like 3 times last season. I would like to see Finley rip Paukovich's head off next year. Unfortunatley we never got to see Greene fight. I would bet a lot of money that we will see Finley fight.

Are you sure Boll isnt going to Duluth or is he coming in the year after next?

Siouxhockey5

Are you sure Boll isnt going to Duluth or is he coming in the year after next?

Siouxhockey5

He's not going to UMD at all. He didn't pass some sort of academic standard, so he was going to have to wait another year before getting into UMD. So he just signed with a major junior team instead.

Now I really like the combination of the Sioux's size and speed. Just out of raw talent alone, I say they compete for the regular season crown. This is seriously loaded class and if Hakstol can get them to gel at the end of the year.......? I just don't buy that they are "too young". At this point in their careers and lives they have had enough playing time and have developed enough to be impact players right away. Its just a matter of molding them to what type of team and what type of style they (the coaches) would like to see them play. Speed and rock-em-sock em hockey. Awesome!

Now I really like the combination of the Sioux's size and speed. Just out of raw talent alone, I say they compete for the regular season crown. This is seriously loaded class and if Hakstol can get them to gel at the end of the year.......? I just don't buy that they are "too young". At this point in their careers and lives they have had enough playing time and have developed enough to be impact players right away. Its just a matter of molding them to what type of team and what type of style they (the coaches) would like to see them play. Speed and rock-em-sock em hockey. Awesome!

Yow. I don't have time to research but my impression is that most college recruits come in a year after graduating high school. The majority of those that come right after high school have played a year of juniors at least.

The Sioux have their share of those, but IMO a disproportionate number of players who are coming directly from high school or have accelerated and will be playing D1 in what would normally be their last year of high school. I don't disgree about the talent level, but experience plays a big part too.

You can have your expectations but I for one will be more conservative in mine. I see this team getting wide-eyed at times, especially early this year.

Yow. I don't have time to research but my impression is that most college recruits come in a year after graduating high school. The majority of those that come right after high school have played a year of juniors at least.

The Sioux have their share of those, but IMO a disproportionate number of players who are coming directly from high school or have accelerated and will be playing D1 in what would normally be their last year of high school. I don't disgree about the talent level, but experience plays a big part too.

You can have your expectations but I for one will be more conservative in mine. I see this team getting wide-eyed at times, especially early this year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see both posts equally. We are seriously loading up on talent, but dagies is right. We're going to get burned a few more times than we are used to. I expect some bad penalties at first and calming down towards the end of the year.

Like I said, I want us to make the NCAAs. See where we go from there. Short term we're not going to look as stifling as we could be, but we should improve over time.

D Joe Finley (6/87, 6-7, 240, Sioux Falls-USHL)

D Todd Alexander (12/84, 5-11, 190, Fargo-NAHL)

D Zach Jones (1/87, 5-11, 175, US NTDP)

D Brian Lee (3/87, 6-2, 180, Moorhead HS)

D Taylor Chorney (4/87, 5-10, 170, Shattuck St. Mary's)

F Ryan Martens (3/85, 6-0, 170, Quesnel-BCJHL)

F Andrew Kozek (6/86, 5-11, 175, Surrey-BCJHL)

F Brad Miller (1/86, 5-10, 170, Green Bay-USHL)

F Jonathan Toews (4/88, 6-1, 180, Shattuck St. Mary's)

F Ryan Duncan (7/85, 5-6, 155, Salmon Arm-BCJHL)

F Matt Watkins (11/86, 5-10, 175, Vernon-BCHL)

F T.J. Oshie (12/86, 5-10, 165, Sioux Falls-USHL/Warroad HS)

Methinks Dagies is on the money here. I can't, for the life of me, remember a younger class of freshmen. Look at all the 87s on D; and Taves is an 88! I, too, think there will be some growing pains as these young men get used to the overalll size, speed and talent levels in the WCHA.

Maybe the fact that most of the forwards are coming from Canadian Juniors

Dont forget we have to good goaltenders in Parise and Lamoureax. Parise played fantastic at the end of last year, and I expect Lamoureax to make great strides this year and push Parise for the starting spot at the end of the year. It seemed to me that Lamoureax had a few freshman mistakes, but also it didnt seem like he got alot of support on the scoreboard in a bunch of his games. Should see good things from these too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you dagies.....but I'm an eternal optimist. I do agree that they will get wide-eyed at times but I don't think that it will result in losses for them. With the addition of Finley now and possibly Kaip yet, they have a great mix of talent, speed, size and depth not to mention a couple of pretty good goaltenders. I just really like how Hakstol has assembled this team so far. I can't wait. THey will be fun to watch.

Yow.  I don't have time to research but my impression is that most college recruits come in a year after graduating high school.  The majority of those that come right after high school have played a year of juniors at least.

The Sioux have their share of those, but IMO a disproportionate number of players who are coming directly from high school or have accelerated and will be playing D1 in what would normally be their last year of high school.  I don't disgree about the talent level, but experience plays a big part too.

You can have your expectations but I for one will be more conservative in mine.  I see this team getting wide-eyed at times, especially early this year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As a group here, we were more than a little impatient with Hak last year. Given the late season success of the team, and the "youngness" of this year's team, I'd expect he'll be given a bit more slack by us this year.

Hard not to have high expectations for this freshmen group, and although we hope success comes this season, it may take one or two more to see it.

The concern is, with the new mess in the NHL, along with the fact that high priced experienced players will likely be forced into retirement, we will no doubt see a boat load of players leave D1 hockey early. This Sioux group will likely not be an exception, so winning quickly may be necessary.

Still can't to get used to players jumping ship without an NCAA championship, as it seemed that the large numbers of Sioux that jumped some years ago (80's) did so after a championship. Guess that can't be expected any longer.

...another hoodlum

Position: Defenseman

Number: 2

Height: 6'7

Weight: 233 lbs

Shoots: Left

Date of Birth: 6/29/1987

Hometown: Edina, MN

Prev. Team: Edina High School

Nicknames: Fins

Hobbies: Boating, fishing, and golfing

Favorite Hockey Player: Bobby Orr

Childhood Idol: Chris Pronger

If I were forced to give up all my possessions but one, I

yes and 100 million more of us are out there..BEWARE Basil

...another hoodlum

Position: Defenseman

Number: 2

Height: 6'7

Weight: 233 lbs

Shoots: Left

Date of Birth: 6/29/1987

Hometown: Edina, MN

Prev. Team: Edina High School

Nicknames: Fins

Hobbies: Boating, fishing, and golfing

Favorite Hockey Player: Bobby Orr

Childhood Idol: Chris Pronger

If I were forced to give up all my possessions but one, I

As a group here, we were more than a little impatient with Hak last year. Given the late season success of the team, and the "youngness" of this year's team, I'd expect he'll be given a bit more slack by us this year.

Hard not to have high expectations for this freshmen group, and although we hope success comes this season..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The most important goal for next year is to have the boys make the field of 16 and play at the Ralph for the first round of the NCAAs. After that, anything can happen. If that comes to pass, youthful and freshmen mistakes that occur before the NCAAs will not matter or be remembered.

I'd like to add to the header "Finley picks UND for 05', over Minnesota and BU" that Minnesota only offered him a partial scholarship.

It's not like UND stole Finley away from Minnesota, like the post header would indicate.

I am unaware of what BU offered.

good thing you cleared that up!!! we don't want people thinking he chose little UND over the giant powerhouse U of M.. :D

I'd like to add to the header "Finley picks UND for 05', over Minnesota and BU" that Minnesota only offered him a partial scholarship.

It's not like UND stole Finley away from Minnesota, like the post header would indicate.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am unaware that Umn actually offered this scolly. Got any proof? I've heard and seen different takes. More to do with the large ice than the half scolly. Albeit, Finley is credited with the legs and agility regarding skating.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Spin it however you want, there is also info out there that those who would know say that both the Sioux and Gophs offered the same thing. That could mean you are wrong or that the Sioux only offered a partial, I certainly don't know.

Of course we are well aware that there has never been, nor ever will be, a player that picks the Sioux that the Gophers have more than a passing interest in, if that :D