SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Recruiting Prospects

dagies

There's been plenty of talk about Dowzak and Finley lately, but there might be stuff to discuss about other players too, and this might be better than starting a thread for each name.

Chay Genoway is going to play for the Vernon Vipers this next season. It looks like he's going to play defense for them. I believe he played defense before going to Shattuck as well.

Vernon Viper's Announce Signing of Chay Genoway

Coach Micks Comments: "We are absolutely estatic about Chay coming to Vernon and the fans will love him from the get go. He is an offensive minded D-Man who will create a lot of offence for our club."

From the Vipers site, new head coach has this to say about recruit Hunter Bishop:

Of our recruits, I've only seen Hunter play and he's Ryan Bayda all over again," said Mick, who took over the head coaching and GM job 12 days ago. He's going to come in and be a dominate player.

Likely another one to watch at Vernon along with Genoway.

There's been plenty of talk about Dowzak and Finley lately, but there might be stuff to discuss about other players too, and this might be better than starting a thread for each name.

Chay Genoway is going to play for the Vernon Vipers this next season.  It looks like he's going to play defense for them.  I believe he played defense before going to Shattuck as well.

Vernon Viper's Announce Signing of Chay Genoway

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't follow SSM much, but the few times I saw them play Chay was playing forward. He is listed as a forward on their roster - either Vernon thinks he can play D - or they need to pay their scouts more.

Most Canadian players seem to switch back-and-forth between D and Forward during the early years of their careers. Something which most US systems don't teach. I think this is why you often find better two-way players coming out of the Canadian junior and MJ systems. If Chay plays D in the BCHL for a season, I think it can only help his progress as a forward in the future.

Most Canadian players seem to switch back-and-forth between D and Forward during the early years of their careers.  Something which most US systems don't teach.  I think this is why you often find better two-way players coming out of the Canadian junior and MJ systems.  If Chay plays D in the BCHL for a season, I think it can only help his progress as a forward in the future.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No doubt there, the best players on all Canadian teams, starting right away with 3 year olds through 12 year olds, play D, in house leagues right on up through the the higher divisions.

Watched Joel Stepp (now in playing for the AHL Cincinatti Ducks), destroy our kids and everyone else's in South Sask, for several years all by himself, stopping all chances in the D end, and doing all the scoring in the O end.

From the Vipers site, new head coach has this to say about recruit Hunter Bishop:

Likely another one to watch at Vernon along with Genoway.

Maybe he'll come on this year. Last year wasn't much for him at Cedar Rapids in the USHL

The Vipers have also signed Alaska product Hunter Bishop, a 6-foot, 180-pound forward, who played for the USHL champion Cedar Rapids Roughriders last season.

In his rookie campaign with the Roughriders, who broke two USHL records for consecutive wins, Bishop counted two goals and 12 points in 50 games.

He was an '87 birthday, but 3 other 87's finished higher in scoring.

Gotta like a guy whose nickname is "Wheels"

West Valley Wolfpack Hocky

Maybe he'll come on this year.  Last year wasn't much for him at Cedar Rapids in the USHL

Not very Bayda like last year in the USHL, was he? Maybe the coach sees something the numbers don't tell us. At any rate, he has a good goal of playing D1 hockey.

From Alaska, if the Sioux would happen to recruit him, maybe Hak will make it on Suze' list also :huh:

Not very Bayda like last year in the USHL, was he? Maybe the coach sees something the numbers don't tell us. At any rate, he has a good goal of playing D1 hockey.

From Alaska, if the Sioux would happen to recruit him, maybe Hak will make it on Suze' list also :huh:

I read the AA recruit thread and their list of incoming players on USCHO a while back. It appears the Sioux are still overrecruiting the top talent....

Most the USHL teams have posted there 25 player roster so far. They do cut down again to 23 players. Here is a list of local players and others of interest.

Tri City has 3 kids of interest Mario Lamoureux(GF), Matt Ambroz(New Prague) and Jordan Willert(Minot). Also that Jaroslav Markovic from Slovakia who played in the world junior tourney last year.

Sioux City has Sam Gagner and Brendon Smith. Their fathers both played for the North Stars. Lincoln has Dowzak(FF), Hardwick(Warroad) , Vandedelde(Moorhead). Indiana Has Drew Fisher(Moorhead/I Falls), Eric Olimb(Warroad), Jay Clark(LOW). Green bay has a kid named Greg Beller from LOW. He was the most underated hockey player in the state of Minnesota last year. I bet he ends up in the WCHA.

Sioux Falls has a lot of Locals. Josh Brodeen(warroad) Micheal Forney(TRF) Chris Peluso(Wadena) Channing Boe(Bemidji) Nick Duetz(Moorhead) As of now they have Joe Finley(Edina). And Chris Berenger, senior smokes son(twins pitcher).

Omaha has of course Marto (GF) and another kid named Tony Lucia (Wayzata) ( I bet he would love to play for the Sioux) yes he is Dons son.

Omaha has 2 other kids of interest. Brett Bruneteau is a dominant player from Shattuck, I think he is only 15. Nick Petrecki sounds like he is stud player according to an article on inside college hockey. This kid may go major junior.

Other teams have not listed their roster. I am not saying that UND should recruit any of these kids, I was just listing locals and other kids you here a lot about.

Is it just me or does it seem like Shattuck's entire prep team will be gone next year? Kaple, Dowzak, Chorney, Anderson, Fredricks, Okposo, Toews, Gergen, Pierson, Esposito, Genoway, Deeth, Bossort, and Eberwein. I'm not sure about the rest but maybe somebody knows if these people are staying or leaving: Stuart, Brock, Brossman, Ruegsegger, Mosey, and Harrison. Only 6 returning guys, although i suppose they will just reload with talent for next year.

Courtesy of Paul Shaheen at ROI:

BUTCHER, Matt

Current Team: Chilliwack Chiefs

Jersey Number: 20

Position: F

Height: 6'3"

Weight: 195

Hometown: Langley, BC

Shoots: Left

Date of Birth: January 1, 1987 (18 years)

2003 - 2004 Season Chilliwack Chiefs 59 10 19 29 0.5 2 0 87

2004 - 2005 Season Chilliwack Chiefs 71 28 34 62 0.9 8 3 106

Does the name and face look familiar? Certainly. Matt's the son of one-time NHL tough guy Garth Butcher, who played 15 NHL seasons with Vancouver, St. Louis, Quebec and Toronto.

Smyl (head coach): "He's thick and physical like his dad, but he's also very gifted. He's strong on face-offs, and wins his share of battles in the corners."

Butcher, according to Smyl, has Ivy League like marks, and is being pursued by many ECAC schools, along with others like Northern Michigan and North Dakota.

Courtesy of Paul Shaheen at ROI:

BUTCHER, Matt 

Current Team: Chilliwack Chiefs

Jersey Number: 20

Position: F

Height: 6'3"

Weight: 195

Hometown: Langley, BC

Shoots: Left

Date of Birth: January 1, 1987 (18 years)

2003 - 2004 Season Chilliwack Chiefs 59 10 19 29 0.5 2 0 87

2004 - 2005 Season Chilliwack Chiefs 71 28 34 62 0.9 8 3 106

The WHL is making a play for him as well. This from early May of 2005. Of course, if Shaheen has the above recent info on Butcher, could be he's put off the WHL. Maybe yes, maybe no.

Butcher

I cant wait to see how Sam Gagner does in the USHL. He is the son of fromer North Star Dave Gagner. His name (Sam Gagner) keeps coming up everywhere in different articles I have read. He is only an "89", but it sound like he is a great player. He is probably a player that our favorite college team would like to get. I suppose he will be one of them kids you have to fight the Major Junior teams for.

I cant wait to see how Sam Gagner does in the USHL.  He  is the son of fromer North Star Dave Gagner.  His name (Sam Gagner)  keeps coming up everywhere in different articles I have read.  He is only an "89", but it sound like he is a great player.  He is probably a player that our favorite college team would like to get. I suppose he will be one of them kids you have to fight the Major Junior teams for.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Who's he going to play for in the USHL?

I cant wait to see how Sam Gagner does in the USHL.  He  is the son of fromer North Star Dave Gagner.  His name (Sam Gagner)  keeps coming up everywhere in different articles I have read.  He is only an "89", but it sound like he is a great player.  He is probably a player that our favorite college team would like to get. I suppose he will be one of them kids you have to fight the Major Junior teams for.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I heard he was leaning towards Major juniors.

In today's Sports Forum from the Fargo Forum, there is a short article about Tysen Dowzak (sorry I cannot find a link). Anyway, of relevance:

He has made an unofficial visit to UND and said he grew up wanting to play for the Sioux. . . . But Wisconsin - another school for which Dowzak has cheered - is also beginning to increase its push to secure his substantial services. 'It's still kind of early,' said Dowzak, who is spending the summer at home with his family in Fergus Falls. 'We're taking things slow with North Dakota right now.  I'm still looking at other schools, too.'