SiouxSports.com Forum

John Hill

Superman0099

http://www.uscho.com/news/2005/06/10_010635.php

I'm sure most have seen this already but I thought it was interesting and theres not much to talk about in the summer...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Though not as surprising as some might think, I can only wonder what this is going to do to UAA's program. UAA was on an upswing and got some quality recruits during the off season. Now... it's in limbo.

Who knows what kind of coach they are going to get now. It's hard getting quality players up at UAA. I can't imagine what it would be like trying to get a top coach up there.

I thought John Hill did a wonderful job at UAA in the few years he was there. They had become more and more competetive lately thanks to him. I wonder if being an assistant at MN and competing for national championships shows more promise to your coaching career than being a head coach at a program like UAA and struggling to even make the tournament. I wonder if they might have even offered him more money at Minny ...In any case this is a big hit to UAA's program and may be a big setback for them throughout the next few seasons.

I thought John Hill did a wonderful job at UAA in the few years he was there. They had become more and more competetive lately thanks to him.  I wonder if being an assistant at MN and competing for national championships shows more promise to your coaching career than being a head coach at a program like UAA and struggling to even make the tournament. I wonder if they might have even offered him more money at Minny ...In any case this is a big hit to UAA's program and may be a big setback for them throughout the next few seasons.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

According to USCHO (a GOpher homer said this) The money was about the same and the contract looked a lot better length wise.

There was talk that John wanted a 2 or 4 year extension to his contract and UAA refused so he walked.

It may not be a step down financially or job security wise, but it's not going to advance his career, IMO. I don't know if he'd be the #1 candidate for any head coaching position at the DI level now.

According to USCHO (a GOpher homer said this) The money was about the same and the contract looked a lot better length wise.

There was talk that John wanted a 2 or 4 year extension to his contract and UAA refused so he walked.

It may not be a step down financially or job security wise, but it's not going to advance his career, IMO.  I don't know if he'd be the #1 candidate for any head coaching position at the DI level now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At 44, Hill may not have felt that AA was going to get to the point where they needed to be in the next two years to earn himself the longterm contract there. If he seriously was worried about his next contract, then he certainly had every right to come back to the "U". If he did lose his AA post in a couple of years, his next post would likely have been an Assistant Coach some where anyways.

Like Motzko he may feel he will have a good shot at earning the Gophers job down the road if he comes back and puts some years in again under Lucia. I personally think the Gophers will again raid some other WCHA school when it becomes time to replace Lucia. Unless of course some famous alumnus didn't happen to be working and decided it was a better time in his life to give the Gopher job a shot. ;)

It looks like it is all downhill for John Hill from here. A complete move in the opposite direction. Da Donny must be trying to make a point of trying to prove that he is a loyal man.

Between the two of them, maybe they can come up with a solid motivational plan for that guy that has all the Gopher fans drooling, so that he does not develop the bad habits of Vanek, Hirsch, or that kid from the Seawolves -- his name escapes me -- who had much talent but would rather eat hamburgers and french fries, and spit and pout, rather than skate.

Hill's move is a great opportunity for someone somewhere to step into the UAA job. Because Da Donny will hang on at the U for as long as they will have him, having no other options, Hill will be an old man before that post ever opens up.

Anyway, good luck to John in The John, and congrats to the guy who steps in at UAA. A perfect opportunity for a few folks, Eades and Berry included.

I agree with sagard regarding when and if Lucia moves on. At best, being a UMN assistant coach is nothing better than a waiting room for a desperate program to come calling. No way does Hill have a shot at a Gopher head coaching job when and if Lucia leaves. His record doesn't warrant it. His history as a coach doesn't warrant it (remember all the academic junk that happened during his tenure? The textbook sagas and the lockerroom quarrels).

NDH- It's no secret you don't like Lucia but one has to question how much he sucks when you look at his win loss record. I wouldn't want him to coach at UND, but there's nothing saying that he can't move on to the NHL. His track record is quite impressive.

I personally think the Gophers will again raid some other WCHA school when it becomes time to replace Lucia.  Unless of course some famous alumnus didn't happen to be working and decided it was a better time in his life to give the Gopher job a shot.  :silly:

There's a big gopher fan on USCHO having fun at the AA fan's "reversal in attitude" about Hill due to him leaving their program. If Blais became the head coach at MN in the future, it would be interesting watching that same gopher fan do his own reversal of epic proportions.

"NDH- It's no secret you don't like Lucia but one has to question how much he sucks when you look at his win loss record. I wouldn't want him to coach at UND, but there's nothing saying that he can't move on to the NHL. His track record is quite impressive."

Well said...

In regards to Hill, if Gopher fans are honest with themselves (might be asking the impossible) then it is difficult to see the logic in Hill's move back to an assistant at Minnesota from being a head coach in the same league. Maybe the only thing that makes sense is the "safer" aspect and if that is the case then Hill has certainly curtailed his future head coaching options.

In regards to Hill, if Gopher fans are honest with themselves (might be asking the impossible) then it is difficult to see the logic in Hill's move back to an assistant at Minnesota from being a head coach in the same league.  Maybe the only thing that makes sense is the "safer" aspect and if that is the case then Hill has certainly curtailed his future head coaching options.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Obviously in Hills mind the "safer" option is what mattered most right now. Unless of course Lucia unleashed a long distance mind control mechanism and forced him to return. However if Lucia were capable of that I think the Gophers may have beaten AA last season.

It would be like Dean Blais saying "Gosh, I loved my time at UND, but I think I want to be an assistant at Wisconsin next year."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is not a close comparison. DB has no ties to UW. Hill has deep ties to UM. Not only did he serve as an assistant there for several years, but he remains very close friends with Lucia. Also, his wife and DL's wife are good friends and you can never underestimate the pull of the woman behind the scenes! :silly:

It has also been reported that his new contract at UM will pay more than his contract at Alaska and it is beyond dispute that he will again be part of a winning tradition, year in and year out.

And, finally, it is known that Hill has had ongoing medical issues in the past involving chronic back pain that made it difficult to fly at times. Even though he's had surgery to alleviate the problem, perhaps that issue still exists and he simply cannot handle all the lengthy travel from Alaska.

And perhaps, just perhaps, he was tired of the responsibility of leading a program that has trouble getting quality recruits every year. He did a good job with what he had, but that issue has to take a toll on a person.

There seem to be many factors that may have contributed to his return to Minnesota.

UAA must have known of Hill's intentions for awhile; otherwise, they wasted little time in hiring his replacement, Dave Shyiak from NMU.  Details within the link.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't try telling that to UAA fans. Hill is the ant-christ right now.