SiouxSports.com Forum

Looks like "Devils" is offending somebody too.

ScottM

Scott, that is exactly the problem with our hypersensitive society. Oh were offended. Yikes the Devils name offends some people. My advice to them is get over your self, the name is bigger than you.

Today everyone has thin skins and gets offended immediately, I am personally sick and tired of them. We have all these hyper sensitive bravo males like Al Gore trying to play to the shrills. Yikes. It's a shake down. That is what Hired Gun Russell Means was doing when he came to UND to speak out about the name. Its about further their cause. He made money to come here and pontificate about the UND Fighting Sioux name then off he went to the next pay check.

This is a perfect example of what will happen to our country if we let liberalism go unchecked.

Here is the problem with the pro-name change P.C. Nazis. There is not a ground swell of support for the name to be changed, however, a few of these weenies expect us to just conform to their whims and expect UND to just change the name because it offends them. Expect the Next UND president to be ambushed by this crowd the minute we get a new president sworn in. We will hear a bunch of buzz words like racist, Nazis, and how UND sold its soul to get a hockey arena and all their other half truths.

The New Jersey Devils are named after a Jersey myth about some monster that attacked people out in the Pine Barrons. Thing supposedly looks like a dinosaur. Nothing really to do with the dark prince.

And people say that *I* have no life. :sad:

... and substance not at all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats because people haven't gotten fed up enough to tell these leftist hand wringing Nazis/P.C.ers to go to HE double hockey sticks.

Yikes the Devils name offends some people. My advice to them is get over your self, the name is bigger than you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just like the Devil's Lake mascot controversy a while back, too many people with nothing better to do. In the words of The Duke, "It's getting to be regoddamdiculous." ;)

Just like the Devil's Lake mascot controversy a while back, too many people with nothing better to do. In the words of The Duke, "It's getting to be regoddamdiculous." ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know about the Devils Lake thing.

I remember at a hockey game in the early nineties the cheer team put up a banner that said "The Spirit of Satan is Alive and Well in Devils Lake, ND".

That's fiik9ng nuts!

The thing with Devil's Lake is that the "Satan" name actually portrayed most of the athletes parents in a GOOD light. Some of those folks were off their rocker!

All kidding aside, I think it was a good move to change the D.L. name. Same with the GFC name. Nowdays, the kids coming through don't even remember or know the name Redskins.

Who are these Satans of which you speak?

Don't you mean the Devils Lake High School Firebirds? ;)

Attention Bismarck High School: I'm sure you'll be next. (And here's notice that Duke, Wake Forest, and DePaul come soon after.)

Where I grew up the high school mascot was The Blue Devils. Several people from the christian community wanted it changed because they felt is was "Satanic". Now they are called the Mora Mustangs. It was complete BS! ;) This conservative, protestant, puritanism has to stop!

The school says its teams have actually been forced to forfeit games because of the team name. The field hockey team was unable to play a game at Iowa University last season because Iowa's administration said it would not play non-conference teams that had American Indian nicknames.
Ummmm... how come CMU had to forfeit the games instead of Iowa? They're the ones with the problem, let them take the lost.

Apparently everything is offensive to somebody.

http://tonguetied.us/archives/cat_mascots.php

Minutepersons

The University of Massachusetts at Amherst has hired a firm to replace its 30-year-old Minuteman mascot because the gun-toting patriot is too male for some tastes and too violent for others, reports the Republican.

A design team hired by the school for $10,000 is looking at Wolf mascots, both cuddly and fierce, to replace the politically incorrect Minuteman.

UMass Athletic Director Ian J. McCaw said the company, following focus group sessions,

• 1 month later...
Minutepersons

The University of Massachusetts at Amherst has hired a firm to replace its 30-year-old Minuteman mascot because the gun-toting patriot is too male for some tastes and too violent for others, reports the Republican.

A design team hired by the school for $10,000 is looking at Wolf mascots, both cuddly and fierce, to replace the politically incorrect Minuteman.

UMass Athletic Director Ian J. McCaw said the company, following focus group sessions,

• 3 weeks later...

I can't believe you guys heard about this out in North Dakota! This was a news story a couple months ago on a very slow news day. The team was named after a myth about a 13th child who turned into a wild creature/man who roamed the Pinelands of southern New Jersey hundreds of years ago. It has nothing to do with satan. Believe me, if it doesn't bother me, I can't imagine people who have a problem with the New Jersey Devils name. Every few years this comes up and fans just laugh and say let's worry about the NHL ticket prices instead. When the Colorado Rockies moved here, the newspapers had a name the team contest and Devils was picked over Surf, Saints, Gulls, and a couple others.