SiouxSports.com Forum

Canad Inns

bk1

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They had some stories on the news last week about the head honchos of Canad Inn being in Grand Forks to finish finalizing things. They claim they should still start construction sometime this summer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We heard that same story about 6 months ago and still nothing.

In another "I saw it first on the Sioux Sports message board and now theres a follow up in the local media".......KVLY reports Canad Inn will unveil their final plans Friday. Which they said will look somewhat different on the exterior from before.

Edit:

Leo Ledohowski, President & CEO will be updating the media and others

about the project on Friday, May 20th at 10:00 am at the Alerus Center.

Edited by Cratter

Herald: Canad construction within 30 days

With the BRAC realignment and the $10 million increase (steel prices), this announcement is all the more impressive. Hopefully, this complex will spur further development along 42nd (a business office park for branch offices of Winnipeg companies?).

Somewhat skeptical of a museum complex, unless it includes reasons for repeat visits: an interactice science-type exhibit (i.e. the Dakota Science Center), regional/seasonal interests (ag history, Indian culture), a restaurant complex, or an IMAX.

Rich Becker, who is raising funds for several museums near the Canad complex, said Ledohowski's announcement certainly helps move his project along.

The museums include the collegiate hockey hall of fame, an automobile museum and a collegiate aviation hall of fame. Becker previously indicated investors have been reluctant due to lack of knowledge of Canad's progress.

I really don't see any of these as HUGE draws OUT of the region. The college hockey hall of fame would make more sence in the neighborhood of the Ralph. An automobile museum would be kind of neat. A collegiate aviation hall of fame wouldn't draw more than UND aviaton students if you ask me. The Dakoka Science Center did just sell it's building however and is currently renting downtown. I am not sure if they have actually even opened their new site. If they are planning on building museums next to the Al I hope it is something that has more than a regional draw. Since the whole movie theatre has pretty much been shot to hell with the whole Columbie Mall Movie Complex, I would think an IMax theatre would be the next best bet. I am not sure if GF could support an IMax alone but if it is the first in the state and they can also bring in other movie I think it could be a big draw! Such as the next Batman Movie, it is not only being released on regular screen but also on IMax. I live in GF and I will be going out of my way to watch Batman Begins on IMax, even if I have to drive to the cities and stay with my brother.  If they want movies, IMax would be a good consider. When I was in high shool we twice went to IMax shows in Canada on class trips, they were part of a Science Center in Winnipeg. GF could do the same thing and put the new Science Center next to the new IMax theater and it would definately be something theat GF could advertise regionally, if not nationally.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think someone might be a little obsessed with IMAX movie theatres.

"Come to our Science Center and stay for an IMAX movie" I'm not sure that would be a big draw to the region.

• 2 months later...
Has anyone heard the status of the Canad Inn?  I saw an article in the Herald in February but not much since.  I have doubts this hotel is going to be built.  Any thoughts?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Drove by the other day and didn't see any work being done. They have been breaking for over a year now - what's up? Are they going to do it and just talk?

They're on the same schedule as the Alien Technology building in Fargo:

Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. BOOM! Building. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh have you been by the Tech park lately. The foundation is in and steel is going up. You need to take the blinders off sometime sicatoka! :ohmy::huh:

Per the KVLY 5:00 news tonight:

No funding has been secured for the hotel, although there are alleged investors that will finance it if local sources back out.

No start date has been set.

Mayor Brown is confident that construction will begin this year.

Canad could not be reached for comment.

What exactly does

"Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. BOOM! Building."

mean if not: 

nothing happened for a long time and now suddenly there's a building there.

Expect about the same with Canad.

Blinders indeed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe you needed to draw a picture. :ohmy:

Canad has danced around with promises and smoke and mirrors for too long. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Last week, a report on KVLY said the problem wasn't with CanadInn, it was with the local banks being unwilling to provide financing.

If the local banks (who are flush with cash) are unwilling to provide financing then the problem is with CanadInn.  The banks see something they don't like in the financial picture of CanadInn or in dealing with a corporation in a foreign country.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've dealt with North Dakota banks on business loans and know how paranoid they can be about taking risks even when there is little involved. The KVLY story said that if CanadInn can't get financing locally, it has other sources. Therefore, the problem doesn't appear to be with the project getting financing, it's with getting it financed locally. Without more information than that, it's difficult for me to come to a conclusion about who's most at fault for the delay.