SiouxSports.com Forum

Top HS From Each State

Cratter

I am not sure about this, I think Fargo South could make a pretty strong case for being the top HS in the state. The school has only won 109 titles in 30 years. Red River is great in some sports but the school just isn't as dominant as South is in athletics across the board.

My understanding is that only the past ten years were considered in making the determination as to which school had the best overall athletic program. As far as Fargo South is concerned, you certainly could make a case for them, as well as Bismarck High. However, just as Red River has its weak sports, most notably football, South has its shortcomings, as well, particularly in girls' sports. Plus, an argument could be made that South should win even more titles than it does considering its huge enrollment. I couldn't find a link for overall enrollments, but this would suggest than South's male enrollment is nearly double that of either Grand Forks Central or Red River.

Bottom line is that it was an arbitrary process in which they picked Red River, just like they have to pick someone to put on the cover. As far as I know, it isn't someone who had an axe to grind against anyone, including Fargo South. I just hope Sports Illustrated doesn't rank youth hockey programs in the state and pick Grand Forks. Imagine the outcry.

MINNESOTA: Edina

The biggest power in Minnesota, they have won 91 state crowns since 1950, including 31 in the last 10 years.

They've got to be kidding. Well, it's pretty obvious that tennis and skiing were the top sports considered in this article. More likely, the Edina AD simply sent SI a nice fat check.

I am not sure about this, I think Fargo South could make a pretty strong case for being the top HS in the state. The school has only won 109 titles in 30 years. Red River is great in some sports but the school just isn't as dominant as South is in athletics across the board.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fargo South was the best high school in the state between 1992 and 1995 because yours truly graced its halls. After that, meh. :D

They've got to be kidding. Well, it's pretty obvious that tennis and skiing were the top sports considered in this article. More likely, the Edina AD simply sent SI a nice fat check.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Edina came in at #8 in SI's list of top 25 high school's in the country.

8. EDINA (Minn.), Enrollment: 1,675 (grades 10-12)

The NHL may be in a deep freeze, but fans in the Minneapolis area had plenty of hockey to cheer about this past winter. The Hornets boys' team, coached by former North Stars defenseman Curt Giles drew between 1,500 and 1,800 fans a game and won the Classic Lake Conference title. Edina has earned a Minnesota-record nine state championships in boys' hockey (the girls' hockey team was second in its conference this year) and has been almost that good in girls' Alpine skiing, with seven titles since 1997. The Hornets' strongest sport, however, is tennis. The boys have won 21 state championships. The girls won 15 straight state titles from '78 to '92 and have a current streak of eight in a row.

Edina came in at #8 in SI's list of top 25 high school's in the country.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The 8th in the nation was really surprising. Especially when they are basing it on the last ten years, yet listed Edina's history. How many fb, bball, and hockey titles for Edina in the last ten? I believe they won a hockey title for sure. Small individual sports like tennis are a lot easier to win than the big team sports.

The 8th in the nation was really surprising.  Especially when they are basing it on the last ten years, yet listed Edina's history.  How many fb, bball, and hockey titles for Edina in the last ten?  I believe they won a hockey title for sure.  Small individual sports like tennis are a lot easier to win than the big team sports.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought the same thing when I read the article. SI said they based the rankings on the past 10 years but then they kept pointing out the overall history rather than the last 10 years.

When they researched it, they just contacted the Athletic Association from each state. When they called the NDHSAA it was a free-lance writer. He asked what the best High school in the state was over the past 10 years. They told him they didn't keep that on record. So they had to go through and count up all the championships over the past 10 years. When they totaled it up RR was first, FSH second, and BHS third.

If there was info in there not regarding the past 10 years, that would have been because the state association would have given them that info.