SiouxSports.com Forum

Parise joining the US Worlds Team

Sweeny

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ZP is listed in the lineup today on the third line with Statsny and Gionta. US leads 3-0 after two.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't start watching the game until the 3rd period, but ZPar got his first point in his first game here - got a long pass to Gionta who made just a sick shot off a tricky angle. Parise's representin ;)

US wins 5-1 is the final. Congrats to the boys ;)

If I'm reading this right, Zach just missed a penalty shot with 1:25 left in the third against the Ukraine.  The game ended in a 1-1 tie.  SOG were 39-9 US.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Reading on HF Boards it appears Ukraine knocked the net off, causing the penalty shot that Parise missed. ;)

To anyone who has been watching the USA games can you tell me has Martin and Leapold been dressing for the games and have they been playing or have they been playing a regular shift or PP and PK? Leopold must be on PP and Martin must be on PK.

More info on Zach's missed penalty shot:

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=2056461

Zach Parise was stopped on a penalty shot with 1:25 left, but the United States clinched a spot in the quarterfinals of the world hockey championships by tying last-place Ukraine 1-1 Monday.

"I was very nervous," said Parise, who played this season with Albany of the American Hockey League. "But we've been doing it all year in the American League, we have the shootout thing there. I've taken a few. I did the move I did most of the time, and it worked most of the time, but not today."

Parise, playing just his second game in the worlds, skated toward the right of the net and had his back-hander turned away by Simchuk.

"He played a great game for us and is a goal scorer," coach Peter Laviolette said of Parise, the son of former NHL player J.P. Parise. "He's the future of USA hockey."

I hope all this publicity of Zach's missed goal doesn't chink his self confidence. There are articles about this all over the place.

Thank goodness he doesn't view USCHO boards. They dedicate entire threads to berating him now.

To me, honestly, I've seen about 10 penalty shots in my viewership of pro hockey (which I realize is quite a bit more limited than a lot here) and I've only seen maybe 4 goals come out of it. Penalty shots are exciting, sure, but it's not like they happen all that often and that they are always an easy goal.

Zach missed. Life goes on. He'll still be an NHL player (if the NHL comes back until it will probably fold in 5 years) and he'll be a good one.

I don't know what the stats are regarding shootouts in the American League. Nor do I care. Shootouts are a joke anyway. I do know that in the NHL the goalies stop the majority of penalty shots.

Frankly, I don't care who missed the shot whether it was Parise, Modano or Weight. The real question is, "Why can't the US destroy Ukraine?" There is not one recognizable name on their roster. I know the US played the night before, yada, yada, yada. There is no way this is even close to the best squad the US could have put on the ice. However, from what I hear the hockey as a whole has been sub par throughout the entire tournament.

I don't know what the stats are regarding shootouts in the American League.  Nor do I care.  Shootouts are a joke anyway.  I do know that in the NHL the goalies stop the majority of penalty shots.

Frankly,  I don't care who missed the shot whether it was Parise, Modano or Weight.  The real question is, "Why can't the US destroy Ukraine?"  There is not one recognizable name on their roster.  I know the US played the night before, yada, yada, yada.  There is no way this is even close to the best squad the US could have put on the ice.  However,  from what I hear the hockey as a whole has been sub par throughout the entire tournament.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Remember, lots of these guys haven't played at all - or with the level of competition that they deserve to play with - because of the NHL lockout. Obviously there are other factors, but thats what I would point to first.

And its hard to be mad at a guy for spending time with his family and relaxing instead of going over to Europe or something to keep in shape.

You are right, the US should beat Ukraine. But we didn't and I would tend to give huge props to them for the tie than being mad at our guys. Seriously, we did outshoot them like 39-9 or something so its not like they got outplayed...the Ukraine goalie must have just been tremendous and their D prolly did well limiting the real quality chances so

I agree that the Ukraine goalie played well against both the US and Canada....he would have to in order to keep his team that close. Still, though, the only reason Ukraine should come this close to these two teams is that the big boiz are doggin it. Just going through the motions.

An American hockey fan has an absolute right to expect more from USA Hockey in this type of a tournament.

If the idea is to go with a youth movement then get Modano and Weight the hell out of there and make it a complete youth movement.

Second period PP goal by Parrish from Parise and Hauer puts the US up 2-0. Modano scored the first. US is getting outshot by a fair margin.

Canada/Slovakia tied 3-3 after two. Palffy stopped by Brodeur on a penalty shot for the lead.