SiouxSports.com Forum

Im' Grinnin I'm Grinnin I'm Grinnin

Fetch

Just one clarification, Jake Marto has never played in the elite league or done any other

extra hockey. Also although it is very true he is a great athlete in GF it will be very

interesting to see how he holds up against some real competion. From what I have been

hearing about the Showcase with the exception of turning it on a couple of times he was

hardly noticeable, and I am sorry but I have to agree with J Loos comparing him to the

Moorhead and Warroad boys I just think they are far better hockey players and from

what i understand that was evident when Mn and Nd met for a pre showcase game in

Buffalo. I also have heard that although Mn expressed early interest in Marto, after

model camp I think that interest faded and I don't belive they even wound up making

any kind of solid offer.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Current roster of defensemen (in class order):

Greene, Marvin

Smaby, Bina, Foyt

Radke

Chorney, Jones, Lee

Fall of 2006:

Marto

The way I see it, come the fall of 2006 the team could easily need three, maybe even four defensemen to stay at nine total (with Scott Foyt as the swingman between forward and ninth defense): Greene and Marvin gone for sure. Smaby could leave early. And we still don't know the definite medical status of Bina.

I see one name for fall of 2006. That tells me that there is most likely space available for two more. I've seen some really good players mentioned in this thread. How about we watch all of them in the USHL for a year and see how they develop and let Hak and his staff do their jobs?

In the mean time, Hak and his staff, doing their jobs, according to the Herald have made a move to keep a top local talent with outstanding credentials in town. That's fun and good for Grand Forks and UND. It's clear from the press reports that he has the talent and the personal skills (grades, leadership, etc.) to be a success if he does the work to be one.

There are some others out there with the same package. Let's hope UND is fortunate enough to get them as well. My observations say there'll be space available.

I don't know these other guys you speak of (& I hope they are good & & become Sioux)- But did they play Football & Baseball ? I admire a Kid who can excel at other sports & has Fun & enjoys his Youth - I'm not sure I'd enjoy the regiments some put their Kids through, to become Hockey Players ?

In Fact as Much as I Love watching Hockey - I'd go D1 Baseball - if I had multiple offers & possibly the talent - or even Golf .....well maybe not Golf :glare: - - - ( So stick a sock in it before he does go baseball ) ;)...... PS... I also heard UND offered him a Baseball Scholarship - But weather he can & will play both ? ? ? is yet to be seen

It is going to play out & if they want it bad enough, to do the work - I think the potential & skill is there - & like so many others (Who the Heck am I) if so many good coaches think he has the potential --- I could careless what we think ???:D

Did anyone see my other questions ?

So do you think size & physical ability trumps skill, as a defenseman ? (I like big tough guys in those roles) - But do they always mean better odds of winning ?

& do the better skilled Athletes naturally gravitate towards forward positions ? (In General) ?

A team full of Spirko's would be Fun to Watch & Route for

I know Tarek very well and trust his judgment on this one. Why you continue to have to compare Jon Ammerman and say that he is not as good or does not have as much upside perplexes me. Have you even seen him play? I am willing to bet that Tarek would describe Jon Ammerman as an "unbelievable" player. I suggest you ask him. I intend to.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What about "I would love to have him" don't you understand. I was giving a plausible retort to those who were expressing concern over taking Marto over Ammerman and Hardwick. You have to admit that Marto's upside could be greater because he hasn't devoted himself to hockey all summer like many of the other recruits we constantly talk about.

jloos--

What is your source that Jon Ammerman is coming? I heard that UND was talking to him, but was told that he was not interested because of the fact that Brian Lee is coming and he did not want to compete with him. I know that Jon Ammerman is being recruited by Maine, Ohio State and UNO, and is going to...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My understanding of it is that he is waiting for an offer from UND, and has talked to other schools because he hasn't gotten that. He's not made any other committments because he really wants to go to UND. They'll obv. be happy with anything but first choice is UND. His dad is opening a hockey store in Moorhead, someone should stop in and see if there are any new developments. :glare:

I don't know these other guys you speak of (& I hope they are good & & become Sioux)- But did they play Football & Baseball ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The two that I've heard the most about are:

Tysen Dowzak - SSM

03 Tysen Dowzak Defense 11 3-8-88 6'5" 225 Fergus Falls, MN GP: 65 G: 8 A:23 Pts: 31 PIM: 96 Found Here (Excel Spreadsheet)

And

Joe Finley - Sioux Falls Stampede (USHL)

I don't know these other guys you speak of (& I hope they are good & & become Sioux)- But did they play Football & Baseball ? I admire a Kid who can excel at other sports & has Fun & enjoys his Youth - I'm not sure I'd enjoy the regiments some put their Kids through, to become Hockey Players  ?

In Fact as Much as I Love watching Hockey - I'd go D1 Baseball - if I had multiple offers & possibly the talent - or even Golf .....well maybe not Golf  :glare: - - - ( So stick a sock in it before he does go baseball ) :D...... PS... I also heard UND offered him a Baseball Scholarship - But weather he can & will play both ? ? ? is yet to be seen 

A team full of Spirko's would be Fun to Watch & Route for

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I also respect a kid for not focusing on one sport. My point with Marto is that he hadn't really been tested playing with top competition. I figured teams would give him some USHL time before making an offer - I noticed the Sioux waited until after the Chicago Showcase, where he reportedly really stood out, to sign him. That may have been enough for Hakstol et. al. to sign him. It sounds like he has a lot of natural talent - hopefully he lands in Lincoln and is able to work w/ Johnson.

As far as ability and position. When I coached youth hockey I usually put the best skilled player at center, then the best skating players at D.

What about "I would love to have him" don't you understand.  I was giving a plausible retort to those who were expressing concern over taking Marto over Ammerman and Hardwick.  You have to admit that Marto's upside could be greater because he hasn't devoted himself to hockey all summer like many of the other recruits we constantly talk about.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Skateshattrick,

Don't like the sound of my post concerning "what don't you understand". I guess I could have found a better way to defend Marto's ability. Even though I didn't mean it to be a slight on Ammerman's ability, I guess I can see how it could come off that way. Hopefully Sioux fans will be able to enjoy watching both of them playing together in a year or so.

I figured teams would give him some USHL time before making an offer - I noticed the Sioux waited until after the Chicago Showcase, where he reportedly really stood out, to sign him. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You think they based their decision on him playing in a tournament???

That is insulting to both the player and to the program.

They were quite interested in him long before the tournament.

The two that I've heard the most about are:

Tysen Dowzak - SSM

03 Tysen Dowzak Defense 11 3-8-88 6'5" 225 Fergus Falls, MN GP: 65 G: 8 A:23 Pts: 31 PIM: 96

And

Joe Finley - Sioux Falls Stampede (USHL)

From what I've heard both of these guys were learing towards the Gophers. I know for sure I read somewhere that Dowzak has always wanted to be a Gopher so I think Hak and the boys will have to do some big time things to get these boys to Grand Forks. Hopefully they can get the job done in the off-season.

From what I know, Jake really wanted to play D1 baseball. Sounds like he is an outstanding pitcher. However, I think the best deal for him came from UND. Hats off to Mr. Hakstol for getting Jake over his want to be a goofer, and to Jake for making a decision that everyone hopes will be best for him and UND.

I personally like the strong defensive play that made up this season, and look forward to more of it in the future. It makes sense to me an offensive team can gel together toward the end of the year and do well. Run into a strong goalie, however, and you are done. Start gelling and playing strong defense toward the end of the year, and you are going to start winning games. Feels to me like the defense gelled at the end of the year, and the goals came as a bonus, but it was still built on a solid foundation of defense.

But hey, that's my own opinion, and what the heck do I know?:glare:?