SiouxSports.com Forum

General Manager of REA

yepdude

Any word on the street about the applicants for this job?  How about a fresh faced recent college grad?  1. I love the Sioux 2. I love $$$$ 3. I love hockey and concerts... Personally I feel overqualified.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You and everybody else here on the board. :lol::D;)

A little birdie told me that the list has been narrowed to three, with the front runner being a solid candidate out of Tacoma who has been running the TacomaDome.

The Ralph needs to stop catering to b.s. concerts and other activities, some, if not all, of which are losing money. They should also put up some lights in the parking lot to guard against any needless and unauthorized hanky panky!!

A little birdie told me that the list has been narrowed to three, with the front runner being a solid candidate out of Tacoma who has been running the TacomaDome.

The Ralph needs to stop catering to b.s. concerts and other activities,  some, if not all, of which are losing money.    They should also put up some lights in the parking lot to guard against any needless and unauthorized hanky panky!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're 50 percent on the mark. The REA will continue to hold events in its walls. It has to to make profits. I don't care too much about that as long as the Sioux hockey team gets first priority.

As for basketball, that doesn't belong in the Ralph unless it is a pro exhibition game and even that should be held at the Alerus. They have the Betty. They can keep the Betty.

The part where you are right concerns the lighting. There needs to be a ton more lighting along 6th and the parking areas.

Two words for you... FIXED OVERHEAD.

The other concerts/events might "lose" money, but the revenue collected covers overhead - what would hockey tickets cost if hockey was the only event held at REA...I don't even want to guess, but I know it would be ALOT. I doubt that very many (certainly not "most") of the concerts/events lose money on a out-of-pocket basis but might very well show losses when overhead is allocated.

I agree, basketball in the ralph sucks. It's just too big for DII/NCC play. The betty is a much better basketball environment for Grand Forks. As far other events like concerts go, I think it is fine to have them in there.......during the offseason. It really hurts the ice quality situation when they keep changing back and forth from hockey, to basketball, to a crappy incubus concert. I love money too, and I think the hockey team should always have priority, but face it right now they don't. And on a another subject, if the REA is privately-owned why does Kupchella get a say on where the student section is? Shouldn't REA inc. get to decide that? I am an alumni now, and I sit in the club lounge. When I was in school I sat in the student section in the Old Engelstad. If I had it my way, I would still sit in the student section. I can't believe the University president and the complaints of certain alumni that sit in corporate owned seats would dictate what should be the electrifying college atmosphere surrounding the greatest program in the nation.

won't come until the new AD is hired - then they gotta figure out how those two guys can work together for the benefit of UND sports (which is what Ralph intended!)

Two facililities like the Ralph and the Betty make it tough to break even nevermind turning a profit and both have turned the Al in a money-losing proposition in their wake.

Cities of a half million would KILL for the kind of facilities we have - we need to find a way to make them all work in a town of 50,000....not easy :D

If I'm not mistaken the future REA Manager talked at the Fan Appreciation night last Monday.  I don't recall what his name was, but I do remember him speaking. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on this because I already thought they hired somebody.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't seen or heard anything about this yet.

If I'm not mistaken the future REA Manager talked at the Fan Appreciation night last Monday.  I don't recall what his name was, but I do remember him speaking. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on this because I already thought they hired somebody.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

People who spoke that I remember:

Scott Hennen

Phil Harmeson

Tim O'Keefe

Earl Strinden

Dave Hakstol

Matt Greene

I think it would be cool if Greene got the job. :D

Strinden is the acting arena manager. Are you sure that he's not who you're thinking of?

I agree, basketball in the ralph sucks.  It's just too big for DII/NCC play.  The betty is a much better basketball environment for Grand Forks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have also been told that they could add bleacher at the north end and increase seating. I think the REA is much too big for basketball too. Plus the Betty is a nice venue for basket ball.