SiouxSports.com Forum

CHA

dakotadan

Is this the question of the day??  :silly:

I'll offer my $0.02 worth.  I think the WCHA should trade CC, DU and UAA to the CHA for BSU.

Forget NDSU.  IMO, they have no desire to add hockey.  Plus the Title 9 crap would make them add another money losing womens sport - thank you JoLynn Montgomery.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have got to be kidding me! The rivalies with CC and Denver are some of my favorite and are longstanding. I much prefer to see the Sioux play DU or CC to St. Cloud, MSU-Mankato or BSU.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After the last few years, I think the W in WCHA should be changed to World.  I don't really care who is in the other conferences then.  :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think we all agree we have the best conference in college hockey! :lol:

For those who don't know how Alaska-Anchorage got into the WCHA, it was by agreement with the NCAA that the WCHA and CCHA would accept one of the Alaska schools. I'm guessing you might run into stiff opposition to getting rid of Alaska-Anchorage from other AD's in the conference. Personally, I want to see them stay put. Tossing them would be a death knell to the program. They've put together competitive teams and one of the highlights of the 2003-2004 season was the standing ovation the SeaWolves received when they took the ice at the Final Five for the first time ever.

That being said, I'm surprised everyone has overlooked the obvious: Michigan Tech moving back to the CCHA. Ferris State, Michigan, Michigan State, Northern Michigan, and Lake Superior State all in Michigan and all in the CCHA. It doesn't make sense for Tech to stay in the WCHA. The bad news, though: Michigan Tech goes, the MacNaughton Cup goes with them too.

For those who don't know how Alaska-Anchorage got into the WCHA, it was by agreement with the NCAA that the WCHA and CCHA would accept one of the Alaska schools.  I'm guessing you might run into stiff opposition to getting rid of Alaska-Anchorage from other AD's in the conference.  Personally, I want to see them stay put.  Tossing them would be a death knell to the program.  They've put together competitive teams and one of the highlights of the 2003-2004 season was the standing ovation the SeaWolves received when they took the ice at the Final Five for the first time ever. 

That being said, I'm surprised everyone has overlooked the obvious:  Michigan Tech moving back to the CCHA.  Ferris State, Michigan, Michigan State, Northern Michigan, and Lake Superior State all in Michigan and all in the CCHA.  It doesn't make sense for Tech to stay in the WCHA.  The bad news, though:  Michigan Tech goes, the MacNaughton Cup goes with them too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Although I tend to agree with MT moving along, moving them to the CCHA doesn't solve the CHA problem. But if they go and take the cup with them, I'm sure someone will come up with a new trophy. :silly:

The MacNaughton Cup is a classic.  Now the Broadmoor Trophy?  Sheesh.  I have a free-throw shooting contest trophy from 5th grade the size of that thing.    :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought you said size doesn't matter? :lol:

Hard to believe that NDSU has missed the boat so many times when it comes to hockey. I remember back in the late 80's when there was quite a bit of talk about hockey at Bisonville, then again a couple times in the 90's. If they would have done something back then it would be interesting to see where they'd be today. I understand that going D1 was important to NDSU, but living in Fargo and following what goes on with the program I still don't get it. I think the D1 sport that the Bison haven't got involved with(hockey), is probably the best sport in our part of the country. Living in Fargo with no D1 hockey, makes me appreciate Sioux Hockey that much more.

Hard to believe that NDSU has missed the boat so many times when it comes to hockey.  I remember back in the late 80's when there was quite a bit of talk about hockey at Bisonville, then again a couple times in the 90's.  If they would have done something back then it would be interesting to see where they'd be today.  I understand that going D1 was important to NDSU, but living in Fargo and following what goes on with the program I still don't get it.  I think the D1 sport that the Bison haven't got involved with(hockey), is probably the best sport in our part of the country.  Living in Fargo with no D1 hockey, makes me appreciate Sioux Hockey that much more.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I couldn't agree more. And this from an NDSU grad, Fargo worker, and former Fargo resident - now Casselton.

Hard to believe that NDSU has missed the boat so many times when it comes to hockey.  I remember back in the late 80's when there was quite a bit of talk about hockey at Bisonville, then again a couple times in the 90's.  If they would have done something back then it would be interesting to see where they'd be today.  I understand that going D1 was important to NDSU, but living in Fargo and following what goes on with the program I still don't get it.  I think the D1 sport that the Bison haven't got involved with(hockey), is probably the best sport in our part of the country.  Living in Fargo with no D1 hockey, makes me appreciate Sioux Hockey that much more.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The winner of the season series could keep the Nickle... :silly:

Ramblings:

Don't want another WCHA team and not particularly interested in BSU, but if they were to join, MSU should be the odd-man out.

Can't get rid of UAA because teams can add another game to their schedule for each game played up there.

I want MTU, CC, and DU (even in their current punk incarnation) always to be part of the WCHA.

NDSU would only have started D-I hockey if they had been given an invite to the WCHA first. To be in an inferior league to UND's would have hurt their pride too much. REA killed D-I at NDSU: No way they were going to try to compete with that only to look foolish. Unfortunalely, the primary motivation for both UND and NDSU is to spite the other or avoid being spited by the other. More than a little sad, really.

Just throwing out an idea here and I am sure everyone is going to laugh. But like I said, just coming up with some ideas.

UM-Crookston.

I know it would be no long term fix to the CHA but in the short run they could be an option. In my opinion almost anything should be done to keep the CHA alive to allow other programs an opportunity to join DI hockey in the future. As has been pointed out a DIII school moving up is their most likely bet, UMC plays DIII but is actually one of only a few schools classified as DII in hockey. I understand UMC just moved to DII, and like NDSU, is still trying to build up it's other programs. Funding would be tight. As RD17 pointed out here: siouxsports.com UMC is currently in the process of hiring a full-time athletic fundraiser and increasing athletic scholarships. One of their biggest issues would be their hockey arena. Who knows, maybe they could even go as far as playing at the REA in Thief River: again, just throwing out ideas!! :silly:

I know it is a long shot but I would assume that UMC had grander visions of DI when they started their program and through the move to DII. With the CHA in a hard spot, maybe they would be willing to work some things out for the first few years to help keep UMC's costs down.

Again, no one kill me. Just throwing out random ideas. :lol:

Just throwing out an idea here and I am sure everyone is going to laugh. But like I said, just coming up with some ideas.

UM-Crookston.

I know it would be no long term fix to the CHA but in the short run they could be an option. In my opinion almost anything should be done to keep the CHA alive to allow other programs an opportunity to join DI hockey in the future. As has been pointed out a DIII school moving up is their most likely bet, UMC plays DIII but is actually one of only a few schools classified as DII in hockey. I understand UMC just moved to DII, and like NDSU, is still trying to build up it's other programs. Funding would be tight. As RD17 pointed out here: siouxsports.com UMC is currently in the process of hiring a full-time athletic fundraiser and increasing athletic scholarships. One of their biggest issues would be their hockey arena. Who knows, maybe they could even go as far as playing at the REA in Thief River: again, just throwing out ideas!! :D 

I know it is a long shot but I would assume that UMC had grander visions of DI when they started their program and through the move to DII. With the CHA in a hard spot, maybe they would be willing to work some things out for the first few years to help keep UMC's costs down.

Again, no one kill me. Just throwing out random ideas.  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

UMC came up in my mind as well, though let's throw a few names out there.

UIUC - Ok, Illinois Urbana-CHampaign isn't exactly a hotbed of hockey, but they are a quality team in the same division that brought Robert Morris to the AHA. The barrier here is that they'd be jumping from club to DI hockey. A BIG move. The advantages are that Illinois is a growing state in terms of hockey talent and that its location isn't so far out of the way that it could hinder the ability of conference teams from visiting and vice versa.

Iowa State University - Same as UIUC in advantages and disadvantages except that I've actually heard rumors of the Cyclones actually thinking about going DI. Ok ok, the rumors are over a year old and nothing's been heard of it since, but still...

The other alternative is to do the impossible: Convince a private college to go DI. Nowadays, that's next to impossible with the monetary concerns. It would be nice to have one of the Sts. in the Twin Cities or Concordia in Moorhead as a DI program (though there is no way they'd be able to have an on campus arena. They currently share the ice with Moorhead High).

Folks, NDSU couldn't get it done in Fargo-Moorhead, but could Concordia in Moorhead make the leap from DIII to DI hockey and the CHA? The Spuds have shown the Moorhead Sports Center can hold 3000 or so.

(Yes, I know, they'd face all those silly new DIII rules where they wouldn't be allowed to offer athletic scholarships in their DI activities.)

Folks, NDSU couldn't get it done in Fargo-Moorhead, but could Concordia in Moorhead make the leap from DIII to DI hockey and the CHA? The Spuds have shown the Moorhead Sports Center can hold 3000 or so.

(Yes, I know, they'd face all those silly new DIII rules where they wouldn't be allowed to offer athletic scholarships in their DI activities.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually those silly rules would probably make the transition a little cheaper. However, without scholarships they won't be able to attract the calibre of recruits that even BSU attracts.

Concordia is a private college though... They wouldn't get public backing.

Still, it would be a nice addition to the CHA.